Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Jan Friedman > Reviews

Content by Jan Friedman

Jan Friedman "Marty" (Brno, Czech Republic)

Exciter
Exciter

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of "Bjorkish" DM :-), 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
Yes the influence of Mark Bell can be heard on this album veeeery well. And that means to me as a result the "least DMish" DM album. To the goodness of it. If I ever got tired of typical DM albums (very unlikely indeed) I would definitely grab this one for a refreshment.

Playing the Angel [CD + DVD]
Playing the Angel [CD + DVD]
Offered by pkentertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DM album, 21 Jun. 2013
Best DM album. What else to say? Errr.....maybe from time to time the best together with Exciter and Sounds of the universe. I like the pre Ultra era too, and a lot. But post Songs of.... era is better to me with DM peaking on Playing the angel. Aggressive start of an album, clear statement, no compromises. Dirty sounds, fantastic "hit" songs (Precious, Suffer Well) and a fantastic deep songs all the other ones. In 5.1 a pure sound excitement, I love "bathing" in this album :-)

Tubular Bells
Tubular Bells

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought because of 5.1 mix - satisfied, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
I grown with Mike Oldfield. It was my first music love. In early nineties in the Czech Republic it was still not that easy to get all his albums and the prices were tremendous those times. That is perhaps why I got to Tubular bells AFTER TBII, Amarok, Ommadawn and other pieces. I wonder whether or not it is the reason why I never that much fell in love with Tubular bells. YES, I like it, YES it was a groundbreaking album, a new concept....and especially the first part is very good. But to me the peak is Amarok and Ommadawn. M.O. never got better than on these two albums. I bought this edition of Tubular bells just because of the 5.1 mix as I love to listen to albums in this format. The mix is done well, it gives a new dimension to this record and I enjoy it. That's it.

Sounds Of The Universe
Sounds Of The Universe

5.0 out of 5 stars DM just got better after Songs of faith.... no exception with this album, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sounds Of The Universe (Audio CD)
I am a true fan of DM, I like almost all of their albums. And I LOVE ALL of their albums coming after Songs of faith and devotion. To me they just get more relaxed, had better production, guests which added a lot to the sound and songs, sonic pallettes are wider and the synth sounds used just got more dirty on many occassions - I LOVE THAT. Sounds of the universe are no exception to that trend. And I love the album because it IS a strong album in its entirety. No boring songs, no fillers. Perfect album for me.

Hergest Ridge
Hergest Ridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Intimate, beautiful album, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
Completely different than Tubular bells, to me a better "listen-to" album. Meditative, contemplative, transporting into another world. 5.1 mix is a fantastic addition and a reason why I bought this edition. I got what I expected.

Heathen
Heathen

5.0 out of 5 stars A true shining dark masterpiece, 17 May 2008
This review is from: Heathen (Audio CD)
From the start of the album to its end, there is NO downside here. You can decompose the album, the songs, to its single elements, single notes and sounds, you can analyze performances of the musicians, take a single song or do the best you can - listen to the whole album - and there is no mistake anywhere. For me the 70's Bowie has never worked very well, maybe too much theatrical/mannered, too much just an "image" case, and the 80's albums always lacked that "something". The 90's on the other hand brought the best from him with mixes of influences from 70's and 80's and modern approaches, including the overlooked Black tie white noise. Whilst this does not have anything to do with the actual level at the Bowie popularity barometer in those times. What has been a nice promise on Hours is fully shining on Heathen. Variety of sound colours, beautiful melodies, mix of vintage and modern instruments, superb arrangements, fantastic trademark singing, but still staying more or less civil, accessible, allowing different types of listeners to find "their piece" on the album. And on the top of that a rarely heard, little bit deranged-like feel of the album, the atmosphere of it. Whereas on Outside or some Earthling pieces the darkness comes out to the surface and you can almost touch it, here it is hidden Inside, echoes from the underworld or some other dimension. I feel a hard to name tension practically in each song, even the lifting ones have it somewhere behind the corner. But you do not fear that darkness here, it just swallows you like a sea in the night, calmly, peacefully, silently. It would be a waste of time to try to jab out individual songs from this collection, why to do this? Any tune you take deserves your interest and is a five-star piece itself. And when it all ends you just sit in a silence for a longer while. Utmost Bowie.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2016 10:17 AM GMT