Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Simon > Reviews

Content by Simon

Simon (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Black Cushioned Music Player Case / Pouch With Red Interior Lining for the FiiO X5ii 2nd Generation Audio Player - by DURAGADGET
Offered by DURAGADGET LIMITED

3.0 out of 5 stars A little tight, 6 April 2017
What is it with these cases for the FiiO X5ii 2nd gen? I'd already bought a Brown Faux Leather Case (see my review elsewhere) which was so tight that I had to use a knife to slit the case open to get it off so I thought this might be a better option. It is but I still have to force it in and out of the pouch whenever I want to change the music. There's a difference between a 'snug fit'and 'tight' and, personally, I'd prefer the former.

So yes it does the job but not quite as 'user friendly' as I'd like.

FiiO X5ii 2nd Generation Faux Leather Case - Brown
FiiO X5ii 2nd Generation Faux Leather Case - Brown
Offered by AVShop

1.0 out of 5 stars Too tight, 3 April 2017
Sorry but I must agree with other reviewers about it being too tight. After a great deal of forcing, I finally got it about 90% on but it now refuses to budge even a millimetre in either direction. As a result, all the buttons are slightly misaligned and there are two bulges in the leather at about 03.00 and 09.00 around the circular control. It looks horrible and cheap. The only way it'll come back off is with a knife or a pair of scissors. Very disappointing. I've ordered a 3rd party case to replace it. (And, yes, I do have a X5ii 2nd gen FiiO).

[Edit: When I tried to remove it, it wouldn't budge a millimetre so I did have to use a knife to slit down the corner of the case in order to get it off]

Deborah and the War of the Tanks
Deborah and the War of the Tanks
by John Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 12 Dec. 2016
This really is a superb book. I read a lot of books on the Great War, in particular first-person accounts and books on the tanks. This combines both of my interests and really brings out the personal details of the men involved. It's been thoroughly researched and juxtaposes accounts from both British and German participants. Although it is packed with facts, at times it almost reads like a thriller novel, with ends of chapters leaving the reader wanting to know what happens next. I couldn't put it down and was sorry when I'd finished it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am hoping to see Deborah in the Spring.

Cheerful Sacrifice
Cheerful Sacrifice
by Jonathan Nicholls

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent apart from the maps, 3 May 2016
This review is from: Cheerful Sacrifice (Paperback)
This is an excellent book, mixing divisional history, narrative and first-person accounts. I have to say though that the maps are disappointing - I found myself flipping backwards and forwards but many of the locations mentioned aren't shown on any of them.

60X Loft insulation spacer, raised storage boarding, loftlegs, stilts, loft legs loftleg 60 Pack
Offered by Diverse Supplies Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 7 April 2016
Functionally, these are good once they're in place but I've deducted a star because the screw holes are marked on the bases but not drilled out. I spent ages fiddling around trying to get the screws in (they kept falling out because there was nothing to hold them in place and it was difficult to hold them manually in a confined space). In the end, I 'pre-drilled' all the screw holes and it worked fine. Shame the manufacturer hadn't done that.

CnM Click & Convert - Transfer Videos to DVD or PC
CnM Click & Convert - Transfer Videos to DVD or PC

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 22 Feb. 2016
Rubbish! I was bought this as a present to convert my old VHS to digital. The 'user manual' is pathetic - it tells you how to install and then......nothing. I worked out what I was supposed to be doing but the best I got was a grainy B&W picture (no sound) which, when I pressed 'record', told me that there was 'no video signal detected'. Shoddy software, shoddily packaged and presented. Avoid!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect......exactly what I wanted!, 19 Oct. 2015
The original battery was exhausted and barely lasted for a minute before dying. With some trepidation and, if I'm honest, low expectations I bought this battery. It arrived a day later (thank you!). Having carefully followed the instructions to calibrate it, it now offers more than 4 hours of life thus rendering my laptop "as new". Yes, it's got twice the depth of the original but, as others have pointed out, it raises the back of the laptop and makes it easier to use. Great value for money.

Absolutely delighted with it.

Retreat and Rearguard 1914: The BEF's Actions from Mons to the Marne
Retreat and Rearguard 1914: The BEF's Actions from Mons to the Marne
by Jerry Murland

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but more maps next time please, 25 Aug. 2015
As others have described, this is an excellent, well-researched, and thoroughly readable book. My only gripe is the lack of detailed maps. There are a few but, more often than not, one reads "...... and deployed to the west of such-and-such-a village" or "....were forced to retire to X" only to find there is no corresponding detail on any of the small maps. This makes some of the narrative harder to follow or visualise. That aside, I heartily recommend it.

Fix A Leak - Leak Sealer For Swimming Pool and Spas
Fix A Leak - Leak Sealer For Swimming Pool and Spas
Offered by Splash Swimming Pools & Spas

5.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what it claims to do, 6 Aug. 2015
Fantastic stuff! We've an old (20+ years) pool in Spain and were losing at least 3 inches every night so were having to augment our small well with domestic water just to top it up every day. I read about this stuff and thought it had to be worth a try before we went to the expense of calling in a 'specialist'. I meticulously followed the instructions, slowly pouring about 1/4 into the pool near the hole to which the vacuum attaches (this is where I suspected a leak might be). I put the multivalve on 'recirculate' and everything else set to 'vacuum' to ensure that as much of the product as possible went through the vacuum channel. After a few hours, I poured the remainder into the skimmers and redirected the flow through them. Three days later, the pool isn't losing any water at all (touch wood) and the vacuum suction seems to have improved a little (maybe confirming that this is the area where the leak was). The pool looks lovely!

I can highly recommend this product which a) works, and b) is cheaper than calling in a professional. I'll be keeping a bottle in my garage, just in case........

Rotosound Black Coated Type 52 Medium Gauge Roundwound Bass Strings (45 65 85 105)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% black, 18 Jun. 2015
I saw a photograph of a bass with black strings so thought I'd try these on my lovely old Nanyo Bass Collection 310 (which is tobacco brown blending into black around the edges). The price didn't bother me (you get what you pay for) and they do sound and look great. The only reason I've docked a star is that both ends are wound in bright yellow, red, blue and green which kind of spoils the 'black effect' I was looking for and doesn't really go with the brown wood. Now if they did a set that was wound in black.........

Page: 1 | 2 | 3