Profile for I. A. Matthews > Reviews

I. A. Matthews

Page: 1 | 2
The Bootlegger's Widow
The Bootlegger's Widow

4.0 out of 5 stars It is obvious that Keith has researched the period and place in great detail as the descriptions are vivid and convincing, 1 Jan. 2015
The travails of Martha are described with sensitivity and conviction and keep the reader eager to turn the pages of this gripping story set in 18th Cornwall. It is obvious that Keith has researched the period and place in great detail as the descriptions are vivid and convincing. On more than one occasion, I could imagine The Bootlegger's Widow as a sweeping television drama. As a first novel, it is skilfully written, engaging and is brought to a satisfactory conclusion. I look forward to reading more novels from this author.

Dangerous Waters: Contemporary Romantic Mystery (The Guernsey Novels Book 1)
Dangerous Waters: Contemporary Romantic Mystery (The Guernsey Novels Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs editing but a good yarn, 28 Dec. 2014
It took me a while to get into the story, mainly because it's rather repetitive and uses a lot of clichés. One particular gripe I had was the author's use of "grin" every time a character smiled. Fortunately, the story picked up {though I wonder if other readers might not have persevered} and made me want to read on to find out what happens. I'd recommend the author gets this novel copy edited which would improve it no end. Having said that, I liked the descriptions of Guernsey, a place I don't know.

Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled
Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 28 Dec. 2014
A well written book that perfectly captures what it's like to be a student away from home for the first time and falling in love with someone totally unsuitable. Haven't we all been there? Bert's style is easy and relaxed without the need for clichés, which so many indie authors seem unable to avoid. I really hope he follows it up with a sequel or is writing another novel. He deserves to be published!

Terrapin Premium PU Leather Pocket Case for Apple iPhone SE / 5s / 5 - Baby Blue
Offered by Terrapin Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for. It looks cheap ..., 15 Dec. 2014
You get what you pay for. It looks cheap but does the job of protecting my iPhone and preventing it from falling out.

Stuhrling Original Classic Delphi Solaris Watch Set Men's Automatic Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and Black Leather Strap 746L.SET.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Dec. 2014
Very stylish and so far is keeping to time.

The Fox
The Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this album!, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Fox (Audio CD)
It's rare that I listen to an album and have to keep coming back to it again and again. I have serious 'ear worm' listening to these extremely talented musicians I first heard in July at the Marlborough Jazz Festival. I only wish they would bring out more CDs.

My Way Won: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!
My Way Won: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally helpful manual for self publishers, 20 Aug. 2013
Self publishing gives people a lot more freedom and potential earnings than going down the traditional route, but the truth is that promotion and marketing involves a lot of hard work. My Way is the first book I've read that provides really usable tips and advice on how to get your book noticed and ultimately sold. The fact that it is written by an author who is learning the hard way makes it all the more credible. I'm now working my way through the book and applying ideas to the promotion of my own novel Run Away {Alex Johnson} and have already noticed an uplift in amazon sales.

Hell in the Kitchen
Hell in the Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable & humorous read, 29 April 2013
A very enjoyable read that really skewered the life of a celebrity chef and all the egos in the professional kitchen. Makes you think twice about eating out! Shades of all the TV chefs we all love to hate- very well observed. I'd definitely recommend Hell in the Kitchen to anyone wanting a lighthearted humorous read.

My Grandfather's Eyes
My Grandfather's Eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing & disturbing read, 22 Mar. 2013
It's unusual to have a main character (Alex) you never really warm to yet are intrigued to know what happens to her and why. The parallels with her 'nan' were subtly drawn and revealed bit by bit throughout the story. In understanding her grandmother, we come to understand the link to Alex's grandfather. A really good read by an independent author.

The Door
The Door

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy, enjoyable read, 23 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Door (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded The Door when it was on a free promotion for kindle and wasn't disappointed. The descriptions of work on a provincial newspaper were convincing and I soon found myself rooting for the main character Jack String against some of his more objectionable work colleagues. A good read from a self published author.

Page: 1 | 2