Profile for Kobolt5 > Reviews

Kobolt5 (London.)

Sunshine On Leith
Sunshine On Leith

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm on my way.... to give a great review!, 6 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (Audio CD)
Well what can I say.. I've been a Proclaimers fan for a good few years now.. it was because of hearing "I'm On My Way" in the Shrek film that I decided to get the best of album.. and after hearing it, its clear the majority of the good tracks have come from this album.

Sunshine On Leith was a little underated as an album at the time but people have now sat up and paid attention thanks to the inclusion of the aforementioned "I'm On My Way" in the Shrek film to the inclusion of "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" in the Benny and Joon film made back in the early 90's.

My favourites are the obvious: I'm Gonna Be and I'm On My Way but special mention should be made to Then I Met You.. the fast guitar playing and the tight band instrumentation make this track a treat to hear... and I think its between this, I'm Gonna Be and I'm On My Way as being the best tracks off the album, its a shame it never got onto the Best Of album, I wonder why.

The only track I can think of thats not as strong as the others is "Come On Nature" apart from that, all the rest are catchy, melodic and will forever be a part of you, plus... something about the Proclaimers makes me want to sing in a Scottish accent.. and I doubt I'm the only one who does this.. its that infectious.

The best offering I think from Skye's finest duo.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2013 12:34 PM GMT

Twelve Stops and Home
Twelve Stops and Home
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album and no mistake, 12 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Twelve Stops and Home (Audio CD)
I am so happy to see music nowadays going back to the older music genres and that the era of over produced, bland dance music and pop has come to an end, hurrah!

I bought this album after hearing "I Love It When It You Call" and "Never Be Lonely" and I wasnt dissapointed... its very catchy and well put together, all the tracks are good, the best ones being the two mentioned above as well as "Fill My Little World" but another one of my favs is "Helicopter" particularly for the considerably heavy guitar solo right at the end of thr track!

Its a fine example of a band doing contemporary music well.

Lets hope the feelings second album lives up to or tops their debut!

Queen, The DVD Collection: Greatest Video Hits 2 [DVD]
Queen, The DVD Collection: Greatest Video Hits 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Queen
Offered by lee of johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD TO SEE THIS DVD HAS MADE A "BREAKTHRU" INTO THE SHOPS!, 14 May 2004
Well, what can I say, being a BIG fan of the foursome!
This DVD is great, with all the classic videos from the 80's and some I have never seen, the amusing "I Want To Break Free" video is priceless (I still can't believe it was Roger's idea and not Freddy's!). The best video has to be "Breakthru" with the band steaming through the countryside on the "Miracle Express". The Scandal video is quite interesting and a very underated track at that from "The Miracle" album!
All the videos and in excellent condition now and the sound quality alone is astonishing, it sounds good just in plain ol' stereo! The transfer has been done well.
One Vision is a gem and the band look like they enjoyed making the song and it's good to see they're not taking themselves too seriously in the video!
The documentaries are good too, giving much insight into the making of "The Works" and "A Kind Of Magic". The "One Vision" documentary is particularly good showing the making of the track.
Also the live material shows Queen proving that they can cut it live as well as in the studio, check out the live performance of "Staying Power"!
In my opinion, Queen really did make a "breakthru" in the 1980's making some of the best, catchiest and well known tracks of their career and these videos capture the essence of this perfectly! This DVD is fantastic value for money and including the second DVD you get a total of 21 Queen videos! WOW that'a bargain in it's self!
If you are a fan, you would do yourself a great dis-service not to get this, and if you're not, check it out, you may be converted!
I haven't purchased the first DVD but after this I will and now it's roll on Queen - Greatest Video Hits 3!

Orpheus
Orpheus
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars ASH - THERE WILL BE INDEED BE SUNSHINE IN THE MORNING!, 7 May 2004
This review is from: Orpheus (Audio CD)
The words WOW and FANTASTIC come to mind!
It seems that although Ash have been quiet on the music front, it's been for the right reasons judging by the quality of this first single. I've been an Ash fan since the "Free All Angels" album and now it seems they've taken a heavier and rockier sound.
Onto the single... The riffs are so infectious and this is possibly the "fastest" and busiest Ash track yet. Charlotte and Tim are both on top form vocals wise with some fantastic drumming from McMurray and bass from Hamilton. It shows the band are really tight and clearly have excelled to a new level in muscality.
This is most likely to be the summer anthem of the year!
If this is the shape of things to come from the "Meltdown" album, I will be snapping it up with hestitation!

Turn Back The Clock
Turn Back The Clock
Offered by ampallang_pour_moi

5.0 out of 5 stars JOHNNY FANTASTIC!!, 27 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Turn Back The Clock (Audio CD)
This album is a first for me , I hate most pop music but I take an exception to this, IT's fantastic!
The tracks are catchy, have a classic late 80's audio polish and shine and the tracks have been extremely well produced, the best sounding album I have ever heard!
Anyway... the gems on this album have to be: Shattered Dreams, Heart Of Gold, Turn Back The Clock and I Don't Want To Be A Hero. The remixes are just as good, especially Heart Of Gold.
The music is tight, I just love the classic synthesizer bass sound used on the tracks! The remaining music on the album is good, with a couple of good ballad numbers notably - What Other Reason.
If you are a pop fan, you should definitley check this album, yes it is a late 1980's album, but it holds up well compared with today's pop. And if you're not into pop, you should a least give it a try, you never know, you might like it!

The Ultimate Collection
The Ultimate Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars LEVEL 42 AT THEIR LEVEL BEST!, 25 Mar. 2004
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I have recently got into Level 42 and now I just can't get enough of the boys from the Isle Of Wight. The boys fusion of jazz and funk has paved the way for exciting, toe-tapping instrumental and vocal tracks.
This album captures all their greatest hits and more, the earlier tracks are just as good if not better than the more commercial tracks of their later days, a good example is Love Games.
The best tracks on the album are: Micro Kid, The Chinese Way (the busiest bass line ever!) Hot Water (Level 42 at their most funky and energetic), Something About You (their biggest hit), Lessons In Love, Running In The Family & Heaven In My Hands.
Each track is polished, extremely well produced and now much brighter and tighter thanks to the digital remastering of each track.
If you are a fan of them, don't hesitate to buy this album, and even if you're not, give it a try, you may become a convert, I certaintly have!

American Pie 3: The Wedding [DVD] [2003]
American Pie 3: The Wedding [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Jason Biggs|Alyson Hannigan|Seann William Scott|Eugene Levy
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars THE PIE IS WEARING A LITTLE THIN!, 25 Mar. 2004
What to say about this film... well I did had suspicions that this would be a rehash and unfortunately my suspicions have been confirmed.
The original concept has already been and gone, perhaps the makers should have stopped at American Pie and not gone on to do a second film let alone a third!
The idea behind this film is a little different to the others at least, but as the film goes on, the typical gross-out moments, fatherly advice and pratical jokes creep in and it's back to the old formula! I suppose as the old saying goes... If ain't broke, don't fix it huh?
Also, what happened to OZ and the Sherminator? They were classic characters, seeing as it was a wedding shouldn't have all the characters from the previous two films been in it and got together (Nadia for example?) as a sort of a fair well / good luck tribute to Jim & Michelle? Or is it (as I suspect) that a fourth PIE film is in the pipeline? hmmm...
But there aren't all bad moments, the classic personality swap of Stifler and Finch made me laugh the most, just imagine the Finchmeister and Stifler being polite and proper, and of course... the stag party, that's not to be missed!!!
This film would be good as a rental DVD to watch with friends & family but unless you are a hardcore PIE fan, I wouldn't recommend buying it as the humour is something of an aqquired taste! The extras on the DVD are good and are of typical PIE fair, music videos, featurettes etc, the outakes are very good!
I think that we've already had a fair share of the pie as it is, I don't think we need any more!!!

Supergirl [VHS] [1984]
Supergirl [VHS] [1984]
VHS

2.0 out of 5 stars SUPER....YAWN!, 25 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Supergirl [VHS] [1984] (VHS Tape)
Supergirl could have been potentially good, but it falls short.
I think it was a little obvious doing the whole Kara/Supergirl thing, I think that it had it been done with the more modern Linda Danvers / Supergirl concept (perhaps they have should have waited longer before making the film), it would have been much more entertaining and thrilling, though the age rating would have had to been higher I suppose considering the darker moments of the story.
For one thing, Kara is very timid and shy to start with, and then gets a bit more confident, but not by much! The whole alien thing doesn't work, she is a little too goody goody, she lacks the slightly more Lindaesque (in your face) attitiude of the modern Supergirl character.
Selena is as camp as hell and as for her sidekick, well "comic" is an understatement! What thing that is not explained, whilst travelling in the pod to the earth, suddenly Kara's wearing the Supergirl costume from a previous shot where she looks like she's in a sort of nighty, how can that be? It's like she just transformed, why?
Was Helen Slater the right actress for the lead character? Probably, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the cast.
If there is to be another film, it should the follow the Supergirl comics alot more, the 1984 film plays too much on the original early Supergirl of the 1950/60's. Let's have a convincing lead to play the modern Linda / Supergirl (Matrix) or Linda (Supergirl) character of today.
In closing, the film is uninspiring and unrealisitic and I think that the Superman films still have the edge with suspense and excitment and much more going on . Supergirl was NOT super for me!

Supergirl
Supergirl
by Peter David

4.0 out of 5 stars SUPER... INTRIGUING!, 25 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Supergirl (Paperback)
Hmmm.. I personally thought that the Maid Of Steel was a lesser superhero than the good ol' Man of Steel. I have recently got into the world of ol' Linda Danvers/Supergirl. There's a sense of humanity to this book (a human girl gaining super powers!) so this story is much more believable, I mean she has typical teen issues (relationships, college, having to juggle a normal teenage life with regular superhero duties!) so Linda Danver is much more like Peter Parker than the goody-goody Kara / Supergirl, plus this book has a sense of humour something that the Superman books lack (too wholesome and serious). And with regards to Supergirl's looks.. maybe alien women are just naturally beautiful, but why blonde and why can Kryptonians speak perfect english hmmm?
Anyway... the journey from humble Supergirl to the merging of Linda & Supergirl is interesting to say the least! I laughed at certain moments , Linda is up there with ol' Peter Parker for wise-cracking!!
The writer does a good job of showing a more human side by Supergirl having to deal with the colourful past of Linda and Linda coping with another identity! The artwork is top notch and vibrant!
Anyway... I don't own this book, but I'm definitely thinking of buying it, the tale is enough to keep you on the edge of your seat and she's my next choice of hero to old Superman!

Batman [DVD] [1989]
Batman [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Michael Keaton
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars THE DARK KNIGHTS FINEST HOUR!, 24 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Batman [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
This is (in my opinion) the best Batman film ever! Batman Returns is a respectable sequal, but this was the most successful film for me. Michael Keaton is the most believable Batman and captures the essence of the Bruce Wayne/Batman character perfectly! Jack Nickleson is brillant as the Joker (the best of all the Batman villains!. It is probably the darkest of all the films, Tim Burton does a brillant job at creating a dark and disturbing Gotham City with much corruption!
Now onto the DVD.... the DVD is somewhat lacking in features and extras with a few commentaries and biographies but not much else!
There is no evidence of deleted scenes or music videos or feature presentations on stunts, scenes etc. This is rather dissapointing for a DVD release, I hope that a bigger and better DVD package of this film will be released soon!