Profile for Andy Webb > Reviews

Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
by Phil Hine

4.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating read, 13 Nov. 2004
As a chaos newbie I'm not really in a place where i can compare this book to other books on the subject, nor can i say I have read better books on the subject, seeing as this is my first...
One thing i can and will say though is this book is a fascinating read. Hine has an exceptional grasp of how our egos control us and how we subconciously categorise ourselves. If you're quite ego orientated like myself, it can be a bit wounding to read how we, as individuals, really are nothing more than whats in our own head, but i tell you one thing, he'll have you realising a lot about yourself.
His analogies are extremely useful and brought about a great understanding of the points he was trying to make, his section on "Breaking the Image" quite literally made my hair stand on end. Do you ever get those situations where you think "Wow! Thats ME that is!", especially when you're struggling with a bit of an identity crisis.
I could go on for a long time with this review but instead I'll just say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it. I have his "Prime Chaos" on order too, I hope its as absorbing.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Unix
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Unix
by Bill Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars I used this book to pime me for linux!, 5 Dec. 2001
I found this book highly enjoyable, as with all the complete idiots guides its a little simple and patronising but its full of funny remarks and amusing comparisons, for example wagner goes into detail about how to give someone the finger, it is innuendos like these that make the book enjoyable yet informative. Don't expect to be a guru through reading this book though, it is very VERY basic, but it is the basics that need to be learned, also some of the information is outdated too but in all, a good book. Einfach classe for newbies.

Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide (Network Professional's Library)
Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide (Network Professional's Library)
by Steve Shah

4.0 out of 5 stars an all round good book, 5 Dec. 2001
I'd say this book is near on perfect for migration to Linux for an experienced Windows user. There is plenty of information for newbies and later the book gets quite a lot more indepth, a little intimidating at a glance at the contents pages I admit but you find your learning curve, although steep, will allow you to understand better as you read on. The book is all round intermediate level. Coupling this book with usenet and a few lesser substancial books gets you well on your way.
One thing I shall say though is it is becoming dated now. RedHat, (5 i believe, which it is based around) has changed quite a lot since the release and 7.2 which we are at as I write this, proved fairly confusing at first to translate but that (except perhaps the price) would be my only quarms.

Onclements
Onclements
Offered by Plegnic Sonor

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album, 23 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Onclements (Audio CD)
They're like little presents, tune after tune after tune, all different, all interesting and fun. I was skeptical at first becasue I heared King Stacey before it and saw them live at the Fabric, both of which I found it difficult to relate to what was being thrown at me, I put this down to it not being my 'style' but from the frst tune on onclements, I found myself glued to the speakers and before I knew it I'd listened to the whole album and was late for work! this album really is excellent, good for the experienced braindancer and good for the up and coming discovers of the Rephlex label. I highly recommend it. I hear YeeKing's going to be just as good, can't wait...

Burn Plate 1
Burn Plate 1
Offered by Founders Factory JPN4UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut, a sign of things to come., 15 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Burn Plate 1 (Audio CD)
This album is a step forward in the world of low-fi low-tech music. It shows that genuine talent DOES get record deals and the glits factor isn't everything. I was swayed onto this album by autechre. Burnplate No1 is a dead cert for those who don't just want to hear, but want to listen. I thoroughly recomend this to any Warp Records fans who are looking for just that little bit more innovation.

Sams Teach Yourself HTML 4 in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself HTML 4 in 24 Hours
by Molly E. Holzschlag

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference, very well written, easy to understand., 20 July 2000
The task of learning any computer language at all is to say the least, daunting. Or maybe this is just my perception. This book goes through the steps slowly and strategically and before you know it you've actually learned 90% of HTML! It even covers a small amount of dynamic HTML, this book is yet another success in the Sams Teach Yourself... series, I thoroughly recommend it. Even if you have Dreamweaver it comes in handy for a reference.