Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Ascot, Berkshire United Kingdom)

Netherspace
Netherspace

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good, and quite insightful, sci-fi read..., 25 May 2017
This review is from: Netherspace (Kindle Edition)
Quite exciting plot about humans and our place in a galactic melting pot of various alien races and the effect these encounters have had on us and our world. I liked the angles taken here and was especially impressed with the strong characterization - the authors developed some interesting protagonists who you really end up rooting for. Look forward to the sequel.

Time and Chance: An Autobiography
Time and Chance: An Autobiography
by Peter Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars but rather a deeply sensitive and intelligent soul. And if you want to read all ..., 22 Jan. 2017
A very well written book by a genuine war hero who was right at the centre of it all, both war and the Royal Family. He was not some gung-ho empire type, but rather a deeply sensitive and intelligent soul. And if you want to read all about the Princess Margaret 'marriage scandal' then he's your man, as he was that man.

All the Gear, No Idea: A Woman's Solo Motorbike Journey Around the Indian Subcontinent

5.0 out of 5 stars India and Motorbikes - a very good read indeed, 22 Jan. 2017
I'm a bloke and I ride bikes. So I thought I'd like this book for its 'biking' adventures. But actually, I liked it even more because of the quality of the writing, the way that the author's character emerges, her honesty, and the very humorous way she describes the controlled chaos that is India (a country I have been to many times, being married to a lovely Sikh girl), My only complaint? Actually, this is really a compliment. I wanted more writing. Michele, your'e a very good writer. Do some more!

JETech M0884 Bluetooth Wireless Mouse for PC, Mac, and Android OS Tablet with 6-month battery life - 0884
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, cheap and effective - hopefully will be long lasting., 11 April 2016
simple, cheap and effective - hopefully will be long lasting.

ORIGINAL SAMSUNG DA29-00003G / HAFIN2-EXP Aqua-Pure PLUS Refrigerator Filter (1)
Offered by FiltreoUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
works perfectly !

An Epidemic of Absence: A New Way of Understanding Allergies and Autoimmune Diseases

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you want a good overview of the gut / immune system link?, 17 Sept. 2013
This book really helped pull together my own understanding of the link between microbe -> man and -> the immune system, and the way that this complex but vital relationship has evolved over the course of human history. I really recommend this book if you want to understand our current predicament (at least, in more affluent societies) of rampant auto-immune dysfunction. If you leave out trauma, certain infections and some types of cancer, pretty much everything else the doctor sees in their daily practice life has some direct or indirect relationship with a disturbed immune system.

Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good
Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good
by James Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars A balanced, condensed but thorough review of Psychiatry and its approach to drugs, 29 May 2013
I liked this book - the author is clearly very knowledgeable and he writes in a balanced, even handed way. This book is not just a joust against the 'evils' of modern Big Pharm but is also a considered account of the nature and success of modern medical Psychiatry. You will probably only be reading this book if you already 'smell a rat', but on the small chance you are an admirer of modern medicine and its treatment of mental disorders, and you feel warm and friendly to the pharmaceutical industry, be prepare for some uncomfortable reading. Perhaps the most telling take-away from the book - if you or a loved one are offered or told you 'need' anti-depressants or neuroleptic drugs then - well, pause and have a good think.

Plantronics Pulsar 590E Stereo Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics Pulsar 590E Stereo Bluetooth Headset

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the money!, 12 Dec. 2007
Got this headset to replace my Gear4 Bluphones. Need to listen to music from my PocketPC and be able to pick up and make voice calls reliably.
1. Music / Podcast - excellent sound all round, agree with other reviewer who said high frequency not so good, but overall pretty good I think.
2. pick up and rec'v calls - excellent - all my callers have said they can hear me fine, and I can hear them fine too.
3. looks / aesthetics - my wife says I look stupid with them on - but so what? They work fine as far as I'm concerned and that's all that matters!
4. build quality - reassuringly good
5. comfort - good, keeps ears warm on a cold day, but 2 things ... first, if youv'e got a VERY big head, they won't quite fit and second, the mid of the strap presses down into the crown of the head - fine for wearing an hour or so, but longer? probably not fine
6. controls placement etc. Good! intuitive placing and feel of key controls
I like 'em! They suit me - but may not be to everyones taste - but then nothing is!
Oh - by the way, the Bluphones from Gear4 were TERRIBLE and cost the same, had to flog them at a loss on Ebay ...

Take Your Time: Finding Balance in a Hurried World
Take Your Time: Finding Balance in a Hurried World
by Eknath Easwaran

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing read, 6 Sept. 2003
This is a book that changed my inner life. Written by a wonderful man and writer, it addresses - in a very simple and effective way - the basic issues of life. You still need to make the journey, but his writing and ideas are like a beautifully clear map, giving a sense of the journey ahead and how to follow it, and of the final destination that lies beyond.

Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade & FREE Plain & Simple Book
Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade & FREE Plain & Simple Book

4.0 out of 5 stars XP Home upgrade - Great!, 16 Jun. 2002
I had to upgrade to XP for various reasons (needed to network to an XP machine, and needed far less crashes than we were getting from 98). I approached it with trepidation, having had experience with previous OS upgrades. However, I knew my machine (a 2 yr old Dell desktop) would work with it (apparently there are potential issues with older machines to do with the bios for example). I also new that my devices and peripherals (e.g. graphics card, printer etc.) would either work with XP by checking with the manufacturer's site) or I had downloaded the new drivers, ready to install them after the upgrade. I had backed up all the my data to another machine, as I planned to do a 'clean' upgrade.
I was astounded when the whole thing just went through without any problems. It took about 40 minutes. I had disconnected all the external peripherals (they were all USB) before upgrade, but - contrary to some advice - had left the graphics, sound and modem cards in the machine. Imagine my pleasure when during the the 'device loading' part of the install, XP effortlessly recognised all of them! Plugging in all the USB peripherals was also a breeze. As it happens, my HP OfficeJet does not yet have XP compatable software (HP haven't developed it yet!!) but XP automatically installed a set of drivers which seems to provide effective - albeit limited - functionality. This seems to me to be HP's, not XP's, problem. As to how XP works, well it hasn't crashed once. It seems to be very fault tolerant and resolves any problems quite well. I would say that like all Windows OS's it makes hard work of multi-tasking, but it does seem to be better at it than 98. For example, during dial-up-networking on 98, my Dell wouldn't let me do anthing! On XP, the same machine lets me at least do another task like load a Word document.
One final note. If you have a network installed, and want to load up Norton Internet Security to manage your firewall, then be careful. It does work - quite well - but if you change network configurations you can then cause a problem where the network setup wizard in XP fails to connect the two machines. Solution - either un-install Norton and try again, or use Norton's own network setup wizard.