Profile for Telboy > Reviews

Content by Telboy

Telboy (Holywood, Co Down, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Quicksand
Quicksand

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and tedious., 6 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Quicksand (Kindle Edition)
I have to confess at the start that I didn't finish this novel. I got about 1/3rd of the way through and had to give up. I usually don't mind a novel with an unsympathetic main character, but the narrator of this is so unlikeable, so self-obsessed, and so lacking in any empathy or understanding of other people, that I found I didn't really care about what had happened, or was happening, to her. The first 1/3rd of the book is really tedious (after quite a gripping prologue), given over mostly to the narrator's sarcastic, snide, spiteful observations about pretty much everyone and everything, even the people (her lawyers, for example) who are trying to help her. I wouldn't have minded so much if what she was saying was in any way original or fresh or even witty, but it isn't. There's only so much teenaged whining that one can take. Maybe the last 2/3rds of the book redeemed it, but I can't say I care much - life's too short.

Not a book I can recommend I'm afraid.

Messerschmitt Bf109E-4/7 Trop - 1:72 Scale Aircraft - Tamiya
Messerschmitt Bf109E-4/7 Trop - 1:72 Scale Aircraft - Tamiya
Offered by TOY SHOP JAPAN HOBBYONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality from Tamiya, 3 Aug. 2017
This is a great little kit. The fit of all parts is exquisite - I used no filler at all for this build. The low parts count and excellent engineering make it ideal for novices, while experienced modellers have plenty of scope to add further detail. This kit just oozes quality and is well up there with Tamiya's larger scale offerings. Highly recommended.

The Disappearance of Adele Bedeau
The Disappearance of Adele Bedeau

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 18 July 2017
I read this on the strength of this author's other novel His Bloody Project, which I thought was superb - one of the best novels I've read in quite a while. This novel is also engrossing and compelling in its depiction of the quiet desperation and routine of the main character, and the intrigues of small town life. There are quite a few excellent twists and turns along the way! I really enjoyed this and thoroughly recommend it.

Gwendy's Button Box
Gwendy's Button Box

2.0 out of 5 stars Too short and lacks depth, 29 Jun. 2017
8.99 for what amounts to a short story is a bit of a con, in my opinion. I wish I'd checked the number of pages before I bought it. Having said that, it's well written with the usual King craft and turn of phrase, but it lacks any serious depth. You never find out what any of the buttons really do, or indeed if they "do" anything. There's an awful lot of set-up for not a great deal of pay-off. Pretty disappointing, since it could have been very good.

Six Four
Six Four

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 14 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Six Four (Kindle Edition)
The vast majority of this book recounts the Byzantine machinations and intrigues of one section of the Japanese police force trying to get one over on another section of the Japanese police, and both of them trying to get one over on the media. The original crime (and another crime somewhere in that morass) is almost forgotten amongst page after page of turgid dialogue and meeting after meeting after meeting. I only finished this through sheer bloody-mindedness and because I had actually spent my own hard-earned cash on it, but by the end I didn't care who had done what to whom. It's terribly boring/.

A word to the wise - don't.

Forefront Cases® New Leather Folding Case Cover Stand for Samsung Galaxy Tab E 9.6 T560 (July 2015) - Ultra Slim and Lightweight with Full device protection
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job very well for a reasonable price, 9 Nov. 2016
Solid, well-constructed and fits the Samsung perfectly. The lining is nice and soft to protect the screen. Couldn't really ask for much better for a very reasonable price!

Hit and Run
Hit and Run

1.0 out of 5 stars Starts well, descends into farce, 20 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Hit and Run (Kindle Edition)
This novel actually starts well, with a shocking incident (the hit and run of the title) that is quite well described and which draws the reader in. However, it quickly descends into absurdity, with its protagonist seemingly able to function despite having a very serious head injury and also being full of an astonishing amount of alcohol and drugs (the latter both prescribed and otherwise). Two subplots, one about a dog and another about the main character's relationship with the wife of a local crime lord, make no sense whatsoever and appeared (to this reader anyway) tacked on to fill space. I'm happy to suspend my disbelief sometimes but not in this case. Needless to say, I didn't finish it.

Eduard Photoetch (Zoom) 1:48 - P-51D (Tamiya) - (EDPFE216)
Eduard Photoetch (Zoom) 1:48 - P-51D (Tamiya) - (EDPFE216)
Offered by Creative Models Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars The one *essential* upgrade for this kit., 16 Jun. 2016
I bought this to add a little "something" to my Tamiya P-51D. I'm glad I did. Although some of the parts are ridiculously small, if you take your time they are easy to use and the effect that they have on the "office" has to be seen to be believed! The parts are pre-painted so you just have to carefully remove them from the fret and superglue them on. The instrument panel in particular is a delight. I also added some other aftermarket bits and pieces to this kit but I wish I hadn't - aside from this cockpit set, the kit parts are all you'll need.

Thoroughly recommended but not for beginners.

Tamiya 300061040 - 1: 48 WWII US North America Aeroplane P-51D Mustang
Tamiya 300061040 - 1: 48 WWII US North America Aeroplane P-51D Mustang

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking kit, great value., 16 Jun. 2016
A typical Tamiya kit, with excellent fit and finish of all parts and plenty of detail, plus a gloriously clear, thin canopy. This model was loads of fun to build and has turned out to be one of the highlights of my "squadron".

There are numerous aftermarket upgrade sets available for this kit but (as another reviewer mentioned) they aren't really needed. With care and attention, this will build into a cracking model straight from the box. If you were tempted to add a little something, the Eduard Zoom cockpit set really does add another dimension to the "office" but other than that, I really do think that aftermarket sets will be wasted on this little beauty.

A pleasure to build and paint and highly recommended, but not for beginners.

The Loney: 'The Book of the Year 2016'
The Loney: 'The Book of the Year 2016'

1.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but peters out, 13 Jun. 2016
I'm afraid I can only agree with other 1-star reviews which have stated that very little happens in this book and it's pretty boring. The first few chapters are quite good, and some of the characters are quite well drawn. But it very quickly loses the plot (literally) and peters out at the end leaving this reader with a profound sense of anti-climax. I don't know what book the jacket blurb writers were reading but it wasn't this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4