Profile for John Feather > Reviews

Content by John Feather

John Feather "fit4lit" (Bristol, UK)

Everyday Mysteries: Existential Dimensions of Psychotherapy
Everyday Mysteries: Existential Dimensions of Psychotherapy
by Emmy van Deurzen

2.0 out of 5 stars One mystery to begin, 13 July 2013
I have only read the introduction on the 'look inside' feature on Amazon.

An interest in existential counselling is just beginning for me. I felt drawn to the promise of humility and an unfixed, non-dogmatic view in the counsellor. In seeking a comprehensive introduction, this book seemed a good bet. The author seems well thought of and has written widely on the subject.

Having read the introduction, however, I've been put off the book by the way in which it appears to make nonsense of its own ideas, nonsense on its own terms. Of course my first reaction to this frustration was to think that it must be me who is misunderstanding the author's intention. Having reviewed it and thought about it, however, I'm not convinced of this explanation. I would be grateful if anyone reads this and could point out if, and where, I've gone wrong.

Before coming across the frustrating contradictions, the mood of frustration was set up by 'The more alienated people become from life, the more they...' What can it mean to become 'alienated from life?' It's not explained. What is this 'life' which we can become alienated from? It can only be a version or aspect or part of life if you can become 'alienated' from it, social life maybe, or work life, or even just a feeling that 'life' is an integrated whole, a feeling which we might lose at some point. That's not 'life'. This is all just too clumsy and unexplained.

Mainly, however (I must try to keep this short or I'll be here all night), the frustration came from the apparent contradictions. The largest seemed to be the protestation of humility and non-dogma, whilst at the same time sounding, at least, arrogant, judgemental and dogmatically dismissive of ideas which don't accord with the dogma of 'existentialism'. For instance: 'Many theories of psychotherapy are just such attempts at describing human experience within a self-sufficient framework, isolating people within an anthropocentric universe of their own making'. These are 'complex' theories which 'purport to know what is supposed to go on for infants and young children in secret places referred to as the 'unconscious''. There seems to be judgement and even scorn in this language, which can only be based on a conviction of superior knowledge. Where's the humility in this? The 'unconscious' is often spoken of by those of an psychoanalytic persuasion as a 'construct' or a 'way of speaking' or a facilitative idea rather than a real thing, or 'place'. This is disingenuous simplifying in order to knock down. Setting up an a target yourself, which is then easy for you to knock down. The unconscious is an idea with huge explanatory powers, rich and endlessly useful.

We are told of the 'mistakes' which other theories make, again based, presumably, on superior knowledge, not an allowance of diversity and difference of opinion, different constructions which may well be the results of wisdom, long observation, experience of life.

The 'well', the 'narrow shaft' of each theory is dismissed, yet surely 'existentialism' is itself a theory, an 'ism', a group of ideas which is being presented here in contradistinction to these other 'isms'.

Where's the professed humility in the author listing your achievements in a social hierarchy (albeit, of course, under the mask of professing your involvement in the therapy world and thus validating your expertise and qualifications to speak on these matters). (Plus putting them in brackets in an attempt to connote 'oh this is just by the way').

It doesn't inspire much confidence in the author. But, as I have said, it could be me getting in all wrong.

Enough!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 9:26 AM GMT

Finish Line Ceramic WAX Bicycle Chain Lube 2oz Drip Squeeze Bottle
Finish Line Ceramic WAX Bicycle Chain Lube 2oz Drip Squeeze Bottle
Offered by Hispanoracing

1.0 out of 5 stars What's my problem with this product?, 14 Nov. 2011
I've been struggling with Finish Line Ceramic Wax Lube for the past month. It appears not to work at all, as my chain (Campag 11speed) starts squeaking after about 20 miles. I've tried cleaning with degreaser and reapplying 4 times now. First time just the usual clean and rinse, then the double application of the product, as advised on the bottle. Didn't work. Then tried again and again with different degrees of cleaning first. Didn't work either time.
The last time, I degreased the chain 3 times, each time rinsing thoroughly over and over, using a Barbieri chain cleaner for both scrubbing and rinsing, then getting the chain completely dry, then applying the wax lube, letting that dry with the chain unhooked from the drive train (so it wasn't under tension), then reapplying, again as instructions on bottle say. Still it started squeaking, after all that, after about 30 miles this time. I'd taken the bottle with me on that ride, so applied more at the side of the road, which stopped the noise but only for another 20 miles! Have I got a duff bottle? Or am I doing something wrong (highly unlikely, I've tried everything)? I've used up a whole bottle and a whole can of degreaser by now. I won't be replacing the wax lube.

Rushbrookes Tea Towel glass cloth Racing Green
Rushbrookes Tea Towel glass cloth Racing Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% cotton, 16 Jun. 2009
It says above that these are 100% cotton. I ordered these as opposed to the linen mix ones because of the higher absorption of cotton. When they arrived, they looked and felt more like linen, so I looked at the label and lo, it says 60% linen and 40% cotton! The cloths are obviously good quality, but not as described.

Canon LiDE 700F photo (9600dpi Advanced CCD technology), film and document Scanner

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description, 11 May 2009
This scanner will scan photo prints and documents at a maximum of 600 dpi, and film at a maximum of 4800x4800, not 9600x9600 as stated in the description.

If you are scanning slides (positive film), you need to remove each slide from it's holder, place it in the film holder, which is designed for strips of film, place the separate film unit over the top, close the lid and click on scan. A 1200 dpi scan takes about a minute, a 4800 scan takes seven minutes. It often fails to recognise the slide and you get a blank and have to try again.

With all the fiddling about, I have found that it can take an hour to complete six or seven slide scans. I can't understand why Canon didn't include a slide holder with the package - it would only be a bit of cheap plastic but would make a big difference to slide scanning, especially when you have a large number of slides to get through, as I do. I estimate it will take me 80 or more hours to scan all my slides.

The description doesn't make any of the above clear, which in my opinion is misleading. Had I known the resolution was not so good after all (I waited a month for this scanner to come on the market, as I wanted it for the high resolution), and known it would take so long to scan slides, I wouldn't have bought it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2012 3:06 AM GMT