Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now
Profile for Mikex > Reviews

Content by Mikex

Mikex "MikexUK" (South Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Home Accountz 2012 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Home Accountz 2012 (PC/Mac/Linux)
Offered by Kryonet Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing program, 13 Jan. 2013
I used MS Money for many years - it downloaded my latest transactions from Nationwide, entering them automatically, so that there was always an accurate statement available without logging on to your bank. It was a bad day when MS withdrew support for Money, Nationwide did, too, making hand-entry necessary. I moved to Home Accountz because at the time they were selling it off at PC World. Since then, a love-hate relationship. I like the screen, and many of the features of Accountz, but there are a few that I don't like. Firstly, if there's a disaster, re-installing Accountz isn't on. Activation works only once. There is a way round this, but you have to be pretty ginger about keeping backups properly. All in all, a wrestle with what should be a simple piece of software. A simple piece of software? It runs to over 1000 files, many megabytes of real estate on your disk, and when you get it there, is not at all intuitive.And, yes, the point made by so many as to the confusion regarding money to and money from accounts is, it seems, sometimes pot luck. We have direct debits to pay into our grandchildren's accounts, they show on our records as payments in rather than payments out, and I have to confess that I can't really see a way of getting it the right way round. So much for simplicity, they have to be changed over by hand.
It's only fair to point out that the staff will bend over backwards to solve problems. I don't try to phone (not a free number, and things can take quite a while to sort out). I find that an email will be answered within a day or so, the advice usually works OK, and you can print it out for future reference. For this reason, I'm adding that second star. otherwise just *.

A.J. Wentworth BA - The Complete Series [DVD]
A.J. Wentworth BA - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Arthur Lowe
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Wentworth B A, 22 Sept. 2012
Quite a blast from the past! Arthur Lowe's last TV series, and perhaps not up to what had gone before (Dad's Army in particular), but it is a channce to see a bit more of the sort of character that he played so well.
Nice to see the period settings properly observed.

The Big Katie Morag Storybook
The Big Katie Morag Storybook
by Mairi Hedderwick

5.0 out of 5 stars What Katy did - Katy Morag, that is, 23 Jun. 2012
I bought this, along with a similar companion book, for my graddaughter, Maddie, who is just 6, and is just starting to read seriously. The Katie Morag books were suggested by her parents, and I must say that I know now that she is enjoying working her way through them.

The Second Katie Morag Storybook
The Second Katie Morag Storybook
by Mairi Hedderwick

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift from Granddad, 23 Jun. 2012

This & That - Benjamin Grosvenor
This & That - Benjamin Grosvenor

5.0 out of 5 stars Talent in the making, 11 Jan. 2012
I championed Nejamin Grosvenor when he reached the finals of the 'BBC Young Musician of the Year' some time back. I don't think that I was on my own in considering that he should have been declared outright winner, ahead of Benedetti. who, I believe, already had a professional career at that point.
So, I was really pleased to see Benjamin play the opening Prom of the 2011 series, and, even better, playing the Britten Piano Concerto at some later point. Luckily, Decca picked up this artist, and he looks set to have a great recording career in front of him.
For lovers of the piano, I cannot recommend this disc highly enough. Go buy!

The Waltons: The Complete First Season [DVD] [1972] [2004]
The Waltons: The Complete First Season [DVD] [1972] [2004]
Dvd ~ Jon Walmsley

4.0 out of 5 stars A brief trip in time, 11 Jan. 2012
What can you say about the Waltons? It is steeped in nostalgia, and I'm pretty sure that for many, the programmes were required family viewing. And, didn't it make us feel good to see at least one family that was worse off than ourselves?
I started off with the feature-length episodes and am now collecting the whole lot, series by series. I think that the Waltons never lost it's values of feel-good and gentle humour, often in the face of real poverty. Inevitably, the family would grow up, move on, and there would be a point at which the series would end. I'm just pleased that it hung together for so long...

Bike Boy
Bike Boy
by Zack

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye-candy, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Bike Boy (Paperback)
Whether or not you are in tune with the subject matter, Zack (Oliver Frey)does what he does very well.
If this is your thing - then go ahead and buy; you'll get a lot of pleasure from the sheer quality of the work

Hot For Boys
Hot For Boys
by Zack

4.0 out of 5 stars Art on the wild side, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Hot For Boys (Paperback)

BBC Proms Guide 2011 (BBC Proms Guides)
BBC Proms Guide 2011 (BBC Proms Guides)
by BBC Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential guide, 23 July 2011
The Proms Guide is published each year in this glossy format. Apart from the programmes themselves, it contains a welter of information about performers and the works involved. If, like me, you cannot get to London easily, but follow the Proms, particularly on TV, having the programmes early permits solid forward planning.
Under these circumstances, I would say that the Guide is invaluable, if not essential.

Kingston KTC 30GB SSD 30GB SSD V-Series SATA2 2.5 Desktop Bundle
Kingston KTC 30GB SSD 30GB SSD V-Series SATA2 2.5 Desktop Bundle

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for hard drive?, 17 May 2011
I have two of these units in my computer, dispensing altogether with HDD. Initially, the idea was to speed up Windows 7, and it does this alright! Now loads in seconds. Second unit purchased as a program and data disk. Only niggle that I have is not really with the drive, but with the accompanying software; it is intended to move your OS from an installed hard drive to this SSD, but I ended up having to start the whole process from scratch, anyway. You might have better luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Is it worth the cost? I would say so. Fast access at switchon is a benefit that you get forever. That plus quietness, reliability and ruggedness make it worthwhile. For bulk storage, or working space, I have an external 500Gb Buffalo drive, by the by.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3