Profile for Paul Owens > Reviews

Highs, Lows and Bakayokos: Everton in the 1990s
Highs, Lows and Bakayokos: Everton in the 1990s
by Jim Keoghan

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just relegation scraps, 3 Sept. 2016
Highs, Lows and Bakayokos: Everton in the 90s.

The use of plural words throughout the title of Jim Keoghan’s excellent book detailing Everton’s turbulent time in the 1990s gives the somewhat misleading impression that more than one misfiring Ivorian unable to count the number of candles on his birthday cake ‘graced’ Goodison Park towards the end of the 20th century. Thankfully for Evertonians, though, there was only ever one Ibrahima Bakayoko. The pluralization of the first word in the book’s title is more accurate, however, and, in my mind at least, massively important as it serves to remind Blues that there was more than one high during a predominantly dismal decade.

But firstly the depressing stuff: by carrying out extensive research and interviewing an impressive number of fans, journalists, players and people connected with the club, Keoghan sheds new light on those horrible relegation scraps, boardroom battles and ridiculously bad managerial appointments. And though the contributions from the likes of John Ebbrell and Don Hutchison, players involved in the final-day dramas of 1994 and 1998, are extremely interesting, perhaps the most enlightening lines in the book come from the author himself, when writing about taking his then girlfriend to a ‘nothing’ home game against Leicester City in 1997:

"It was as though, for the first time in my life, I looked at Everton through neutral eyes. ‘Are we just a bit s***, nothing special, nothing to get excited about?’ I asked myself. It was a worrying turn of thought and one I would revisit repeatedly over the following seasons."

Prior to reading this book, I had always put my own apathy towards the club during this period (circa 97-99, although that Coventry game nearly killed me!) down to a combination of the following:

• I was eighteen years old. I’d met the girl who would eventually become my wife and Everton was no longer my everything. Not every weekend could be spent watching Teletext. This was weird.
• My hero, Neville Southall, was on his way out of the club. How could Everton ever feel the same again with someone else between the sticks?
• The realization that my own dream of becoming a professional footballer (and maybe one day filling the void left by Southall) was over. Everton played football. And football was s***.
• I’d just left college and didn’t know which career path I wanted to take. For the first time in my life I had ‘grown-up things’ to worry about. I couldn’t be worrying about eleven blokes who obviously didn’t care about how bad they were making me feel every weekend.

Now, though, I realize that I wasn’t alone in feeling less passionate about the Blues. And maybe this detachment wasn’t because of any of the above, but down to something more generic, something I had in common with tens of thousands of people: the feeling of being lied to and ultimately let down by the club:

"It had been four years since Evertonians were told that ‘this’ would not happen again. The brush with death that had been Wimbledon 1994 was meant to be a never repeated event. The club had made promises, the local papers had daubed them all over their back pages and supporters had believed them."

Now the good stuff: if you were to ask Blues to name the highs of the 1990s, I can almost guarantee that straight away every single supporter would mention winning the FA Cup in 1995. I can also almost guarantee that, if they didn’t have too long to think about it, many fans would then be struggling to name another positive from that decade. But there were many, and Keoghan’s book does a great job of reminding Blues just what they were:
• Peter Beardsley’s quality
• An excellent record in Merseyside derbies, including a couple of wins at Anfield
• Joe Royle’s first season at the club – the Dogs of War and feeling of togetherness
• Joe Royle’s second season at the club – the same tenacity but now with the wonderfully gifted Anders Limpar and Andrei Kanchelskis operating on the wings
• The signing of Gary Speed and being thought of as genuine title contenders
• The free-flowing football in Walter Smith’s second season (yes, really!)

Highs, Lows and Bakayokos is a cleverly-written account of a strange old period in our history. Thank you, Jim Keoghan, for helping me relive my teenage years and for making me feel less guilty about my apathetic period.

Making the Grade (Somersaults and Dreams)
Making the Grade (Somersaults and Dreams)
by Cate Shearwater

5.0 out of 5 stars GYMNASTICS!!!!!!!, 8 April 2016
This is the best book ever! I love gymnastics so this was the perfect book for me. I am 8 and read this book in 1 week so I would definitely recommend you read it. It's an amazing book for everyone.

Fashion Party Dress up
Fashion Party Dress up

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, 27 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Fashion Party Dress up (App)
Ok but when you reach level 5 you have to have an energy drink and everything is a disaster. For example, I got my person a floral chiffon dress and it said that it wasn't floral or chiffon. Untill level five it is good though. I am eight so thus is a child's review.

Minecraft
Minecraft

4.0 out of 5 stars good😃🐱🐎👙👗💄, 7 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Minecraft (App)
Good but could be better because if you press on the same block it just goes too close. I am 8 so this is a kids review

Skype
Skype

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 24 May 2015
This review is from: Skype (App)
It is good but not the best because you just have to be patient with it. The thing that I find annoying about this is that when you try to video call or call someone it doesn't say on their phone/iPad/tablet that you've tried to call them because they have to be on Skype to know. Otherwise it is excellent!

WorldCraft
WorldCraft

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 11 May 2015
This review is from: WorldCraft (App)
It was ok but it doesn't save your work and you always end up in the sea/lake. U have to be patient with it. Would only recommend to 9+ or very clever 8 year olds+.

Handy Lyrics - Little Mix
Handy Lyrics - Little Mix

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 3 May 2015
This review is from: Handy Lyrics - Little Mix (App)
I look at this all of the time because I sing little mix to my teacher every Friday.

The Mystery of the Invisible Thief (The Five Find-Outers series Book 8)
The Mystery of the Invisible Thief (The Five Find-Outers series Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 9 April 2015
Amazing book. I had to do a book review of my favourite book and I chose this one. It's the second best Enid Blyton book that I read after 'Shock for the Secret Seven'. The baker is annoying the find-routers by treating them like young children but there is a thief on the loose and nobody can spot him/her. Can the find-outers solve the mystery before Goon? If you want to find out more about this perfect book BUY IT NOW AND READ IT STRAIGHT AFTER YOU'VE BOUGHT IT NOW. I'm 7 and it's the perfect book for 7+.

The Mystery of the Missing Man (The Five Find-Outers series Book 13)
The Mystery of the Missing Man (The Five Find-Outers series Book 13)

4.0 out of 5 stars Naughty Fangios!, 19 Mar. 2015
I read these books with my dad. I love them. I especially like this book because you never know what's going to happen next. I quite liked the fact that Frederick found this girl called Eunice very annoying and was always trying to get away from her. I'm 7 and I love this book so you should read it now!!!!!!!!

Everton Encyclopedia, The
Everton Encyclopedia, The
by James Corbett

4.0 out of 5 stars Weighty tome that's a must for Blues, 1 April 2013
The Everton Encyclopedia looks and feels like a proper reference book. A weighty tome packed with facts, figures, photos and player portraits, James Corbett's labour of love has taken me on a number of nostalgia trips over the past three months and evoked a catalogue of childhood Everton memories. The profiles of the players I grew up worshipping in the 1980s are expertly written and the author does not hold back when assessing the careers of those who have worn the Everton crest on their jerseys. There's the great ('Charismatic goalkeeper blessed with genius' - Neville Southall), the good ('The finest Spaniard Goodison ever knew' - Mikel Arteta) and the not so good ('Accident-prone goalkeeper who proved to be David Moyes's costliest transfer error' - Richard Wright). Indeed, to a certain extent, it's Corbett's writing style and strong opinions that make this book so enjoyable. Without doubt, I've learned a great deal about players I knew nothing about, very little about, and loads about already; and even the portraits that have not added to my knowledge have been worth reading, as the author's interpretation of those players' skills and qualities (sometimes lack of) are hugely entertaining.

A few things do however stop me from giving this book 5 stars: I've spotted a few errors in the stats boxes of certain players' profiles, stats which do not match those mentioned in the paragraphs of their main profiles (e.g. Tony Cottee). Does this invalidate the information provided about players whom I knew little about prior to reading this book (i.e. if I know Cottee's stats are wrong, how can I be sure that Leigh Richmond-Roose's are correct?) I don't think so as the main profiles look as though they contain the correct information. Consequently, it seems to be more of a layout issue than a research one. There are also a number of sloppy typo errors and, whilst most of the photos are welcome inclusions, one or two of the images selected (e.g. the gloves next to Nigel Martyn's entry) are a little cheap looking. He wouldn't have worn gloves like those! And one or two players who performed brilliantly at the time that the book was put together are described in legendary-type terms. Alas, their form has been poor this season, which makes their entries stand out in a negative way.

Nonetheless, The Everton Encyclopedia is an excellent book, one I can't leave alone and one that is a must for all Evertonians. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Page: 1 | 2