Profile for Andy > Reviews

Blendtec Total Blender & 1 Jug
Blendtec Total Blender & 1 Jug
Offered by Alex Shanks Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible blending power!, 8 Jun. 2014
The choice was between Blendtec and Vitamix. In the end I had to go for Blendtec, it's simply a superior product! First of all, be careful where you buy it. I got mine on the Costco UK website at a very good price, it came with two jars, fourside and wildside, and 8 years warranty! Costco is an official Blendtec distributor, the only one in the UK, and sells the Total Blender model with 8 years warranty and 2 jugs. Everybody else in the UK sells the Home Blender model (H3PA) at an extra £100 with, most likely, only 2 years warranty and one jar only, the fourside.
Surprisingly Amazon UK doesn't sell Blendtec directly. Surprisingly because Amazon US sells ALL Blendtec models and it has even a dedicated Blendtec section!
Anyway, I'll leave my review at this as plenty of information and videos about the Blendtec Total Blender are available online. Suffice to say that if like me your breakfast and lunch, and often post-workout snack, consist of smoothies then you MUST have a power blender! Personally, I am glad I finally took the plunge and paid the hefty price.
If you never have smoothies then you are missing out on plenty of vitamins, antioxidants, fibers, energy.....but that's a different topic!

Update: after 3 weeks of heavy use I have to admit this blender is worth its weight in gold! I now use it often for making sauces, dips and other recipes in addition to the usual 2 or 3 smothies a day. Fantastic tool!

New update: I have totaled 250 cycles in less than 3 months and this is now the best gadget in my kitchen. Making smoothies is such an easy affair: throw in a bunch of frozen fruit, coconut/soy milk, whey powder, press a button, walk away and my delicious drink is ready 40 seconds later!

Further update: After 650 cycles my four-sided jar seized up and needed replacing. One email to Blendtec support and a week later I had a new jar free of charge!

30/11/15: 1000 cycles and still going like new!

10/02/16: my four-sided jar seized up AGAIN! Both jars developed problems after about 600 cycles so I am assuming that is their life-cycle. Needles to say that Blendtec once again replaced the jar for free in a matter of days!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2015 9:17 AM BST

WMF Kult 0416280011 pro Power blender silver
WMF Kult 0416280011 pro Power blender silver
Offered by MANDROPS AG

3.0 out of 5 stars Fails to meet expectations!, 4 Jun. 2014
The blender can be bought on Amazon.es or .it direct for about £130 (including delivery), so my advice is to avoid marketplace sellers. I felt reluctant spending big money on a professional blender such as Vitamix or Blendtec so I ordered, and tested the WMF for about a week

In my opinion the WMF is a very good low-budget alternative to professional blenders. This blender looks good and performs very well. It can reach a speed of 24,000 rpm and has a 1400W motor, definitely the most powerful blender out there for under £250. The jar is glass, so it's heavy and cumbersome, the lid is leak proof but the closing cap is not (do not overfill jar or it will leak). The base is stainless steel and matches most modern appliances. The entire unit just about fits under the kitchen cabinets without the lid on, still you won’t be able to remove or attach the jar without tipping or sliding away from under the cabinets the entire blender. The programs interface is easy to use and the 3 programs are effective, however it would be nice to have more choices (soup, sauces, etc.), unfortunately there is no pulse function, also the buttons are not rubberized so it's easy to get dirt in between the grooves. So far I've made fruit smoothies, green smoothies, soups and sauces and results were good but not perfect (a second cycle is needed to blend to above average smoothness). The blender is loud but to acceptable levels, also it is never necessary to run it for longer than 1 or 2 minutes so noise is never a big issue. The motor cannot be run for longer than 3 minutes consecutively, the jar is not suitable for use with anything hotter than 60C and warranty is 2 years. Cleaning is easy and can be done by running the interval program with water and soap in the jar or just rinse the jar under the tap.
In the end, the WMF never felt like a high-performing blender despite its speed and power and this is why I decided to send it back and fork out instead £350 for a Blendtec Total blender.
Having now used the Blendtec for a couple of days I can say that it dwarfs the WMF on every possible aspect (including the 8yrs warranty and the two jars that come with the Blendtec).
In conclusion I’d suggest either investing your money in a commercial-grade blender or else go for the inexpensive option (like the Duronic BL1200), the WMF falls somewhere in between but fails to meet expectations.

Camping Gaz TC2000 Compact Blowlamp with Gas
Camping Gaz TC2000 Compact Blowlamp with Gas
Offered by AP Motor Store

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 21 May 2014
I use it in the kitchen for searing meat and other heavy duty work where a creme brulee torch isn't up to the job. What I like about it is that it can be used with any screw-on canister (type EN417). Adjustment is not very sensitive so it's pretty much either full on or very low intensity. Flame is continuous and stable, so far it went off on its own only on one occasion. The standard burner gives a generic flame, good for steaks and roasts, and a fine burner for more precise work can be purchased separately (haven't bought this yet though). Good price too for what you get. Recommended.

Update: It looses a star as it broke and needed replacement after just 5 uses! When it worked it performed well, plus I threw away the packaging so I ordered the same model as replacement.

Camping Gaz THP3000 High Power Gas Torch with Gas
Camping Gaz THP3000 High Power Gas Torch with Gas
Offered by TGS Industrial Supplies Ltd, Est 1987

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!, 15 May 2014
Bought this for culinary use. I was looking for a powerful torch to sear meat (the little butane torches for creme brulee are useless), however this is too powerful and produces a very long and large yellowish flame instead of a defined blue flame as I was expecting.....I am no expert but I think the problem is in the nozzle! Also the stand mounted on the head is useless, the plastic rim means it can be used only with campingaz canister (although it uses a generic EN417 valve), it's loud.......it's been returned!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 9:37 PM BST

KitchenCraft Anodised Aluminium Mini Pudding Moulds, 7.5 cm (3") (Set of 4)
KitchenCraft Anodised Aluminium Mini Pudding Moulds, 7.5 cm (3") (Set of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too large!, 15 May 2014
These are huge! I initially purchased them for making chocolate fondants but they are way too big for that, these are ideal for making large muffins. Anyway, I returned them and ordered the 100ml (6.5cm) version which is perfect for fondants.

Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Roasting Pan with Removable Rack, 27.5 cm - Stainless Steel

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap!, 15 May 2014
Cheap, cheap and cheap! Initially purchased to be used as a generic container. It feels light and badly made, the handles rattle and are pretty much pointless. I would not expect this to survive more than a few weeks. I returned it and ordered a proper gastronorm container instead.

Monument 3450g Gas Torch CGA600
Monument 3450g Gas Torch CGA600

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for my intended use!, 15 May 2014
I bought this torch together with a valve adapter to use with screw-on EN417 canisters (those used for camping), reason being that 1) they are cheaper than propane canisters and 2) I have a garage full of them. Unfortunately the torch won't burn properly with EN417 canisters and splatters a lot of flames instead of producing a nice high-intensity flame. I had bought the torch for culinary use but didn't want to acquire extra canisters, so it will be returned and exchanged for a different type. Anyway, the torch itself looks and feels well made, I am sure it works perfectly with the intended propane or mapp canisters.

KitchenCraft Anodised Aluminium Dariole Moulds, 6.5 cm (2.5") (Set of 4)
KitchenCraft Anodised Aluminium Dariole Moulds, 6.5 cm (2.5") (Set of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 May 2014
These are the right size for making chocolate fondants. They work well for both hot and cold recipes. Highly recommended.

Simmer Ring
Simmer Ring
Offered by Pakeeza

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Simmer Ring (Kitchen & Home)
It took ages to arrive! However, the ring is of good quality and works well. I can't comment on reliability as I've just received it but I ordered a second one just in case, for the price it's a steal anyway! Recommended.

WMF 793136041 Pressure Cooker Lower Part Perfect Plus 6.5 Litres
WMF 793136041 Pressure Cooker Lower Part Perfect Plus 6.5 Litres
Offered by Neuert's

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 1 May 2014
I bought the 6.5L lower part after purchasing the 4.5L complete cooker. The 6.5L is not as big as I thought it would be but it is large enough for 2 inserts (allowing for cooking 3 layers at a time) and for cooking a whole chicken. I use the 4.5L for most cooking and the 6.5L for making stock, x-large meals or stacked cooking. If I could buy the pots again I would probably get the 4.5L + 8.5L or the 6.5L + 3L combination, as I said there is not a huge difference between the 6.5L and 4.5L. I'm not going to review the cooker here but suffice to say that quality and performance are outstanding!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20