Profile for caliboy > Reviews

Content by caliboy

caliboy "theatregoer" (Santa Monica, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Great Canal Journeys: The Best of Series One & Two (Prunella Scales & Timothy West) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Prunella Scales

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed!, 19 Sept. 2017
What a brilliant series! It is such a pleasure getting to know Prunella and Timothy so intimately. And the series is about SO MUCH MORE than narrowboating. It's about life and the ways we progress (and are forced to progress) through it. We have seen 7 series (so far) I would be happy with 7 more...

The Victorian Farm Complete Set [DVD]
The Victorian Farm Complete Set [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS!, 17 Aug. 2016
I am in Los Angeles. I am a BIG anglophile. This was my introduction to this trio of presenters and I can safely say that we have been completely transported by them. And have now bought nearly all of their work on DVD. What a thrilling presentation and we are so happy that it is completely devoid of "reality TV" conventions. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS HIGHLY ENOUGH! Thrilling!

The National Trust - National Treasures [DVD]
The National Trust - National Treasures [DVD]
Dvd ~ The National Trust

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THESE!, 17 Aug. 2016
Delightful for the armchair traveler. I am in the USA - in Los ANgeles - and this hits the spot remarkably well! Gotta love the National Trust - despite how Alan Bennett feels about them...

Rick Stein: From Venice to Istanbul
Rick Stein: From Venice to Istanbul
by Rick Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars WHERE ARE THE DVDS?, 8 Oct. 2015
I was thrilled by the series here in Santa Monica, CA. Really one of Rick's best!! BUT WHERE IS THE DVD SET OF THE SHOW? PLEASE DON''T TELL ME THAT LIKE SO MANY OTHER BBC OFFERINGS THESE DAYS THAT THE BBC ARE NOT GOING TO ISSUE THE DVDS! Why? WHY?

Queen Of Musical Comedy
Queen Of Musical Comedy

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor indeed - pronounced hiss throughout..., 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Queen Of Musical Comedy (Audio CD)
As with all of the Avid products - especially their Jessie Matthews Centenary Celebration - there is a horribly distracting TAPE HISS on each of the tracks of this recording. I buy all of the Avid products (although it astounds me that I do...I am a "completist" CD collector and cannot help myself - LOL) despite their egregious sound engineering. If you really want some Evelyn Laye, I am hard pressed to suggest ASV's Evelyn Laye Gaiety Girl as it's as poorly engineered as this one. The CD When I Grow Too Old To Dream on Pearl is a little better but still not up to snuff. It appears we'll just have to sit and wait for a better re-mastering of the terrific Evelyn Laye numbers! This CD ain't it!!

Sincerely Yours (Digitally Remastered)
Sincerely Yours (Digitally Remastered)

As with all of the Avid products - especially their Jessie Matthews Centenary Celebration - there is a horribly distracting TAPE HISS on each of the tracks of this recording. I buy all of the Avid products (although it astounds me that I do...I am a "completist" CD collector and cannot help myself - LOL) despite their egregious sound engineering. If you really want some Very Lynn and you want some GREAT sound engineering then I suggest you buy the 2-disc Decca set called VERA LYNN NATIONAL TREASURE: The Ulitmate Collection. No tape hiss. A superior product that will make you MUCH HAPPIER than this load of tripe. Check it out here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Treasure-Collection-Vera-Lynn/dp/B00J0N7IB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441214269&sr=8-1&keywords=vera+lynn+national+treasure

Barry Humphries: So Rare Vol. 1 [Australian Import]
Barry Humphries: So Rare Vol. 1 [Australian Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad About These Recordings!, 5 July 2015
A lovely collection of music chosen by Barry Humphries. It is important because it contains the ONLY example of Noel Coward singing MAD ABOUT THE BOY on CD. It was recorded, obviously, by Noel but never released in his lifetime or at any time thereafter, again, for (seemingly) obvious reasons. None of which I agree with. On no other CD compilation can you find the number - even those that purport to be "complete" collections of Noel's music. I was amazed to hear it finally and I am thrilled to this day that I have a copy to hear again and again. Thanks to Barry Humphries!

The History Boys [DVD] [2006]
The History Boys [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Richard Griffiths
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential addition to your film collection., 17 April 2015
A brilliant adaptation of the stage play - by the same writer and director (Alan Bennett and Nicholas Hytner) of the National Theatre hit with the complete original cast plus a couple of extra characters including one played by the great Penelope Wilton. I cannot recommend this one highly enough. Bennett has written many plays both great and good (Habeas Corpus stands out among so many others) but this one was the culmination of a great career in the theatre. (Not that Mr. Bennett is not still writing and giving us thoughtful and important work - The Habit of Art and People, Six Poets: Hardy to Larkin, Smut, etc.) Buy this film. It's an essential addition to your film collection.

J'Accuse...! The Passions Of Emile Zola
J'Accuse...! The Passions Of Emile Zola
Offered by sound of music

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine effort!, 21 Oct. 2014
Petula Clark narrates and is the composer. Brilliant. I cannot recommend the musical highly enough!

The Nether
The Nether
by Jennifer Haley

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing acheivement!, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Nether (Paperback)
Perhaps the most thought provoking play to come along this century, The Nether will haunt you and live in your memory for weeks and months. I always judge a new play by this resonance and The Nether resounds, it reverberates. Jennifer Haley is a playwright, YES!, but also a philosopher and social critic and commentator, and a fabulist of the first rank. We are so pleased the play is moving to the West End and we cannot wait for the next one from her. Good on you Jennifer, good on you!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3