Profile for banythehat > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bullguard Internet Security Suite v6
Bullguard Internet Security Suite v6

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to configure, 7 Feb. 2006
Having tried most of the Internet Security suites out there for my job, I can say with a bit of authority that this product is one of the better ones. The main reason for buying Bullguard over other more popular titles such as Norton/MacAfee is the very clear layout. The program tells you in plain English what’s going on and what it recommends you to do.
Firewall:
The firewall is secure although sometimes it can get a bit annoying if you forget to untick the box about sending the information to Bullguard servers for analysis.
Antivirus:
The anti-virus feature is particularly impressive. On the tests I did, Bullguard picked up 4 more infections than AVG, 3 more than Norton and the same amount as MacAfee
Spam killer:
The spam filter integrates with both outlook and outlook express well, if something is wrongly ladled as spam you have the option of letting it know for next time. Again it's easily configured.
Backup:
A nice feature of Bullguard is the online backup facility. You get 100 Meg of online storage space to store some of your most important data. This option can be scheduled as well so you don't even have to remember to do it. The only downside I saw was that it was a little slow to upload even on a fast Internet connection.
A few minor flaws aside, Bullguard is one of the better Internet Security Suites on the market and is defiantly recommended above Norton and MacAfee. If only it came with a built in anti spyware feature as well it would be almost perfect.
In case you were wondering the best Security Suite hands down is Zone Alarm.

Valentine
Valentine
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars 2006's best song so far, 6 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Valentine (Audio CD)
After the Delay's wonderful debut Faded Seaside Glamour, I couldn't wait for their follow up, as a bands second album really defines them. Now on the evidence of this first single, they are sticking to what they do best - catchy pop songs. If all their songs on their new album are as good as this one it'll be another corker! Keep em coming lads!

The Aviator (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2004]
The Aviator (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio

5.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated classic, 24 Jan. 2006
If you are Martin Scorsee then you would have to consider yourself as being one of the unluckiest directors in history. With a carer spanning nearly 4 decades and a heap of critically acclaimed films under your belt. But no Oscar.....! Now I know the Oscars are superficial at best, but there's still a special aura which surrounds them that every film maker tries to aspire to.
To put it simply, Scorsese should have one best director for The Aviator. Now it may not be his best film to date, I mean films like Raging Bull and Goodfellas will never be beaten, but it was surly his time to win? (Taking absolutely nothing away from the brilliant Million Dollar Baby)
The film The Aviator is everything you could hope for. It has an interesting central character, an engaging story, strong acting (DiCaprio should be feeling a bit miffed about the Oscars as well) and no waffling. If you are a Scorsee fan you will know what to expect from this film. My advice for those that haven't seen it yet, is to give it a go. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

The Simpsons - Season 7 [DVD]
The Simpsons - Season 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta
Offered by Amore DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the strongest seasons of all of the Simpsons, 13 Jan. 2006
By the seventh series the Simpsons was established as one of the greatest programes of all time - including live action! They had done the impossible; They took a show about an average joe family, painted them yellow and made it both clever and funny at the same time. By the time this aired for the first time, those of us who had sky one settled down at six o'clock on a sunday evening to watch a never before episode, hoping that this one would be as good as the one last week. Well I was never dissapointed. Here is my personal quick rating to each episode.
1. Who Shot Mr Burns? (Part 2) - Always over-rated in my eyes 3/5
18. The Day The Violence Died - Classic Itchy and Scratchy 4/5
19. A Fish Called Selma - Great episode 4/5
20. Bart On The Road - One of the best 5/5
21. 22 Short Films About Springfield - v. good 4/5
22. Raging Abe Simpson And His Grumbling Grandson In "The Curse of the Flying Hellfish" - Far-fetched but ok 3/5
23. Much Apu About Nothing - Above average 4/5
24. Homerpalooza - Over-rated episode 3/5
25. Summer Of 4'2" - The best episode of the season and in the top 10 episodes of all time 5/5

Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Paddy Considine
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 17 Sept. 2005
I just wanted to add my agreement of all of the reviews here so far. Trust me they are not wrong. There is something so down to earth and real about how this film has been made, it's almost like watching a documentry. The performances of everyone involved and of the director are quite simply outstanding.
Shane Medows...Go to the top of the class.

X&Y
X&Y

5.0 out of 5 stars What annoys me........., 12 Aug. 2005
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
I feel I need to get something off my chest here. To all those people who are saying this and other music like it is dull; do you know anything about music? Not every one in the world has to produce exciting get up and move music (if they did the music industry would be very dull for it!) I like most people like music with a bit of energy that you wouldn't call dull. On the other hand I also like to chill out and listen to slower more meaningful music too. It doesn't mean that after listening to it i'm going to break out the razor blades and slit my wrists does it!!!!!!!
If you actually listened to the music for once instead of just saying "When's it going to get going then?" you might actually find something beautiful instead. Everyone here that has rated this so called dull music (Damien Rice, Keane etc) highly knows what I'm talking about.
This album may not make me get up and dance (if I want to do that I'll go to a club) but it does make me sing my heart out to some wonderful music. Anyone who listens to the hidden track and doesn't even appriciate it (i'm not saying they have to like it!) knows zero about music.

Frengers: Not Quite Friends But Not Quite Strangers
Frengers: Not Quite Friends But Not Quite Strangers

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! why have I ignored them for so long?!, 29 Nov. 2004
I must admit i wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this album. I first heard of Mew through their excellent single 'She Came Home For Christmas' which was released sometime last year. Ever since I heard that song I knew I wanted to hear more but got too involved in other bands and never got the time to purchase 'Frengers.'
What a mistake that was! After one listen all the way through I knew I had stumbled upon something rather special. Mew are a band to make the hair stand up on the back of your neck and give you goosebumps all over. I'm not going to give you a description of all the songs, but I am going to say that the last song on the album 'Comforting Sounds' is probably the best finishing track I've ever heard on a album. It's a song of such magnificence that at 8 minutes 53 seconds is far far too short!
Just buy the thing and help bands like this get noticed!!

The Bucket
The Bucket
Offered by adrians_records

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a catchy little number, 9 Nov. 2004
This review is from: The Bucket (Audio CD)
I first heard of the Kings of Leon through sites like Amazon which heaped lots of praise on their debut album Youth and Young Manhood (hope that's right). Anyway I got a copy of the album and whilst it was ok it was not as good as I was led to believe. So it was with some scepticism that I listened to the first single of their second album "The Bucket." As you can gather from the 5 star rating I gave this CD, I loved the song and regard it to be one of the finest singles of 2004! Now I haven't got their second album yet, but here's hoping that it's all as good as this single!!

The Invitation
The Invitation

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word. Beautiful., 16 Oct. 2004
This review is from: The Invitation (Audio CD)
It is almost certin that Thirteen senses debut album 'The Invitation' will draw comparisons with the likes of Keane and Coldplay etc, and even though I hate comparing one band to another, any band these days that relies heavily on piano and has a lead singer with a soft high pitched voice is going to be compared. Anyway on with the review. First of all let me say that I cannot recomend this record highly enough.
I first heard Thirteen senses wihilst idly flicking through the music channels on my TV. The song i came accross was the opener "Into the fire." (I always leave a band on I don't know so I can see their name come up for future reference) Well after that I was hooked and needed more. Luckily the Thirteen Senses have a good website with more samples and video clips etc. I listened to the samples and waited eagerly for the album release. When it was I snapped it up and slammed it into my CD player. I was greeted to 12 nice enough songs, not brilliant but not rubbish either. Just nice. A little dissapointed I shelved the CD for a few weeks and went back to listening to Keane and The Killers etc. It was only when I decided to give the album a secoand go that I realised that I was listening to something very very special (why i didn't see it in the first place is anybody's guess). What I found upon the second listen was 12 of the most beautiful songs i've heard in many year, from the upbeat 'thru the glass' to the glorious 'The Salt Water Routine' and finally the simply breathtaking 'Automatic' Thirteen senses have created a small masterpiece.
Anyway if my long and probably un-informative review prompts you into buying this CD, let me be the first to say that I don't thing you'll be having any regrets. Just remember to listen to it twice first!

Hopes and Fears
Hopes and Fears

5.0 out of 5 stars For some things 5 stars just aren't enough.., 10 May 2004
This review is from: Hopes and Fears (Audio CD)
I, along with a lot of people first heard of Keane through their first single "Somewhere Only We Know" after hearing that single repeatadly for a number of weeks I was desprate to hear what else Keane had to offer, so it was to my delight when I heard their second single "Everybodys Changing" and later thier album "Hopes and Fears."
Now fellow music lovers, lets be honest with ourselves for a minute here, how many of you can honestly remember the last time you listned to a album once and loved every track even better than the last until you reach the end?
I'll be the first to put my hand up and say that I never have.
Some of my favourite albums include; The Bends, Automatic For the People, White Ladder, O and Absolution. Don't get me wrong these are all fantastic albums, but I can find either weak tracks or faults will all of them. With Hopes and Fears I cannot. This album is quite simply perfect.
From the bright and breezy start of Somewhere only we Know, to the melancholy ending of Bedshaped, this is a beautiful collection of songs, which are almost impossible not to love.
I know Keane are going to be labeled as Coldpay wannabe's, but to be honest I never really saw what all the fuss over Coldplay was about anyway. In my humble opinion to mention Keane in the same breath as Coldplay is a bit of an inslut to Keane (now for the backlash from angry Coldplay fans!) Remamber I do like Coldplay as well, but this album is something else. And eaisly one of the best albums of the last 10 years. It really is that good!
Yes we all know this album is very Piano heavy, but is that really a bad thing? This album should have been named "Who Needs Guitars Anyway" but Alice DJ had already taken that title (I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE JUST MENTIONED AN ALICE DJ ALBUM AND FOR THAT I AM TRULY SORRY)
I think the debate over pianos Vs guitars has been settled once and for all.
Stunning.
Ps: For another brilliant album in the same vein try "The Picture Show" by the Buffseeds. You won't be disapointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3