Profile for M. Whitmore > Reviews

Content by M. Whitmore

M. Whitmore (UK)

Python Programming (Third Edition)
Python Programming (Third Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional introduction to the Python World, 26 Feb. 2017
This book guides the user from the very simple explaination of variables to the more complex areas of development such as functions and classes. It's ideally suited to the newcomer although doesn't condescend like a lot of online courses. I also found myself laughing out loud at some of the subtle jokes layered within the chapters. The author is a master of his trade and explains every concept and coding segment as fully as can be expected. Im fully engrossed in the book and will be rereading when complete to brush up on the challenges listed at the end of chapters.

Cloudseller 1 Metre [Apple MFI Certified] iPhone 7 / 6 / 6+ / 5 / 5S / 5C / CHARGER COPPER LEAD HIGH QUALITY USB DATA CABLE- 8 Pin - Compatible With ios 10 & ios9, IPHONE 6, 5s, 5c IPOD TOUCH 5 NANO 7 IPAD MINI ®
Offered by cloudselleruk

FIFA 10 (Xbox 360)
FIFA 10 (Xbox 360)
Offered by JCM TRADING

2.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer is severely broken, 7 Jan. 2010
This review is from: FIFA 10 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Alright, so I got this after playing last year's installment (only single-player, I never played multi) and, as soon as you venture past single-player, the game collapses into a heap of unplayable waste material that you wouldn't even give away. I'm going to try and explain where things went wrong so buckle up because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

First things first, like every game ever released (except PES 2009) there are plus points and this game has a few of them. Single-player (that is predominantly 'Become a Pro' and 'Manager Mode') are decent features that do much to emphasize the leap that EA Canada have taken to improve this area. The camera-angle in 'Become a Pro' is very innovative and plays like a dream once you get used to it. One major flaw in this mode however is the other camera angles are pretty useless so you HAVE to adjust to this angle pretty sharpish to avoid playing in the reserves for the rest of your life. Once you do though, playing in places like Old Trafford and the Emirates will send chills down your spine. The graphics really are that good and the stadiums are modelled precisely to match their real-life counterparts. None of that unlicensed rubbish here either, everything is fully-licensed from the start.

That brings me to 'Edit Mode'. As with every FIFA game ever released this mode is absolutely pointless. You can only create and transfer players, you can't edit hairstyles or facial features on ANY player already in the game. You can only change their boot colour and change their shirt style to 'Tucked' or 'Untucked', thanks but no thanks. I don't know if it's actually the millions of licensing contracts FIFA have to sign to get the teams into the game or wheather EA Canada are just being lazy; either way there is no point in having this mode if you can't actually edit the good bits. This is where FIFA starts falling flat on it's arse. Even PES let's you edit everything on a player (it's only a matter of time before you can edit underwear colour on PES; you heard it here first) so FIFA is still catching up to Konami in terms of this mode.

Now, we head into multiplayer. Let me point out that I have spent a good 60 hours attempting to come to grips with this mode and everytime I try I die a little inside. I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible so try and stay with me.

So the first thing I tried was 'Online Team Play' with a flashing 'New' button (ooooh) next to it. "Wow", I thought, "10 vs. 10 online play, i'm having some of that." It wasn't long before I was on my knees cursing every single player I was playing with. Everytime you start a game everyone rushes to the forward positions (I think every FIFA player thinks they were Puskas in a past life) and you get left with RCB. You really have to move like a midget on ice if you want a forward position. When you finally get one, you're left waiting for the whole two minutes whilst the people who were unlucky enough to lose the mad dash have a paddy. So, two minutes later you've got a forward position and the game is loading, you're thinking to yourself you should score at least three goals here. The game kicks-off and, what's this, seven players on your team run upfront straight away and wait for the ball. I found it extremely rare to find players that actually stick to their position. It could be they're all kids, it could be the Puskas-syndome that I mentioned before or it could be that they're all simple; whatever it is it doesn't work. Most games I played in this mode were utterly depressing and made me consider my own sanity countless times. Be prepared for 600 offsides and about 10 pedestrian seconds in control of the ball per game.

Now we approach head-to-head. As the name suggests it's a simple 1-on-1 vs. an opponent automatically picked by the game. Apparently, your opponents are supposed to be the same level as you which I found amusing. I freely admit I am not exactly a FIFA-geek. I score about 3 goals a game if i'm lucky and usually conceede the same amount. Going by that stat I should be pretty low down in the ranking system and getting opponents with no fingers. The first two games I played I was played off the park. Before I started playing I wasn't aware that you could, basically, cheat by pressing 'X' thereby forcing the computer to tackle your opponent for you. Most games I played featured me being tackled by a computer player and barely breaching my opponent's half because of it. I usually chose Arsenal and they're not exactly the worse team in the league in terms of passing. However, my sleak 1-touch passing was no match for a determined computer defender. It would be nice if EA limited the computer pressure slightly during online play. You hardly have to be soaked in skill to use 'X' do you?

Anyway, if this was just single-player it would be an impressive game but online play knocks two stars off. Fix this and you have yourself a game.

Frontlines: Fuel of War (Xbox 360)
Frontlines: Fuel of War (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. Multiplayer is intense., 21 Jan. 2009
What a great game! So impressive, multiplayer is absolutely fantastic. The maps are all great, just plain open-ended action for up to an hour. What other game can you play on the 360 that features 62+ players on a single map? Answer: None.

Other developers (*cough* Treyarch *cough*) make the maps so small that you respawn right on top of an enemies head which drastically reduces your lifespan. In F:FoW you can quite happily stay alive for 15 minutes on top of a hill picking off unsuspecting opponents with snipers and drones. It's all about strategy and your tactical nouse on the battlefield. It's all great. I wouldn't change anything.

I played for 8 hours yesterday and I was still upset that I had to sleep to get up for work the next day. I could quite happily be playing it for days on end.

Congratulations to Kaos for making a truly breathtaking game!

Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox 360)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Shaemful cash-in on the COD brand., 7 Jan. 2009
I, like many, went into this game having reasonably enjoyed every installment up to COD 4, which I avoided because of the reviews. I am an avid FPS-gamer, anything to do with shooting stuff and blowing stuff up and im there (some may see that as alarming but I find it more enjoyable than buying houses in some imaginary world, GTA anyone?)

Anyway, I mainly bought the game for it's co-op campiagn. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The co-op campiagn is so scandalously unfinished it almost feels like I purchased a knock-off version that was made by some guy in his basement. There is no tutorial to gently guide you into the gameplay, which my younger brother was hoping for being a casual gamer. There isn't even proper split-screen. That's right, you are stuck with 25% of screen that isn't being used and on smaller TV's this becomes hugely frustrating. To top it all off, you play the same character.

In my opinion Gears of War 2 is the pinacle of co-op gaming that features pretty much everything that makes that form of gaming enjoyable. You really feel like you are inside the character, controlling everything he does. Call of Duty: World at War is like it's ugly younger brother that people only want to see at Christmas.

I tend to play a lot of games I buy on Xbox Live as well so I tried this out. First time I played, I died within 5 seconds of spawning. I respawned again and died even faster. I like to plan strategies and get to high buildings to cover ground with my sniper. In this game you can't do that. It's a shoot-shoot-die-sprint-shoot-die kind of FPS. You can have little or no strategy and still end up with 400 kills at the end of the round. It doesn't matter if you know the maps well of not, there will always be someone behind you. It's a case of whoever can lift his crosshair faster to aim gets the win. Also, you tend to run at 45 mph as well (picture the duracell bunny) like some super-human version of Usain Bolt making it a stroll to cover 100m in under 3 seconds. I've never seen so many sniper-unfriendly maps in any game, ever.

There is also quite a few, shall we say, *unique* touches to the online experience. One feature called 'Release the hounds' is a charming little adventure which involves you running for your life from a pack of blood-hungry dogs (nice). Next we have the 'Recon Plane' which flys above you giving away your position to the opposition (again, sniper-unfriendly anyone?). Finally, if those don't get you you will have to deal with the 'Artiliery Strike' against your position which will be sure to send you back towards the sun in 18 million little pieces. Oh, did I mention the little perks you get when you get to certain levels? I didn't? Well, you're in for a treat. It seems, when you get to different levels (say 18, you start at 1 obviously) you will become invisible to aforementioned recon planes and harder to kill. So, you have to somehow make it to level 18 whilst dying 200+ times per round to stop being cheated out of a death.

This is supposed to be the most-played game on Xbox Live! Makes you think what is going on in the World. Until the next COD installment (which will probably be released next month) I'd avoid this like you'd avoid a plague-infested rat.

Medieval 2 Total War Gold (PC DVD)
Medieval 2 Total War Gold (PC DVD)
Offered by Musicland Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 5 Dec. 2008
I thought they would be hard-pressed to even get close to the coat tails of Rome: Total War but this game is so flawless in it's design and execution that it far exceeds any doubts one might of had. If this game had been around during the time of Spartacus I very much doubt he would of got much done. He's be too busy trying to quash that annoying band of Spanish rebels with his trusted English longbowmen. Or maybe he may of had some trouble with the Mongols invading from the east leavinng him no choice but to pull his army out of Persia and defiantly stand firm, shielding the borders of Western Europe from Eastern rule.

This game will have you up for hours. Forget food, water or showers, you'll be completely immersed in domination of the New World.

Make sure you can play this before you buy it though. Recommended specs are 2.4 Ghz, 1 GB ram, Gefore 7300 video card and 5 GB of disk space.

Clubland 13
Clubland 13
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Clubland in years!!, 22 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Clubland 13 (Audio CD)
I've been an avid fan on the Clubland franchise since the beginning and I'm pleased to say they are back in-tune (I couldn't resist that!) with Clubland 13. There is a mixture of hard-style, fast-paced, dance floor stormers (Darren Styles, Hypasonic too name a few) all the way across the board to melodic, 135bpm soul-soothers (Chicane vs Natasha Bedingfield).

Also making they're annual appearance are the dozens of remixes that, rather surprisingly, don't hinder the album at all. Some of them are just brilliant and are guaranteed to get you up and boogieing like it's 1999.

This is a turn-it-up-and-annoy-the-neighbours album!