Profile for knockoutuk > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Divergent
Divergent
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Effort and a good way to spend a lazy afternoon, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Divergent (Amazon Video)
Personally saw the trailer when it was due for cinema release and though "oh god, not another twilight/hunger games etc" films that are based on novels with a good plot and yet exploited to draw swarms of screaming teen fan girls. Honestly I have no issue with romance in films, nor with having an attractive cast, what does bug me, is taking a good story and turning it into Twilight. Typical plotline is take your supposedly average main character, and throw them into an anything but ordinary situation. Nothing wrong with that, it gives us all the belief that it could happen to us, and lets face it movies are escapism, which is why no matter how many times that set up is used we still love it. My issue is focusing too much on romance and not having personally read the novels to such films being told creating relationships that didn't exist in the first place. It shouldn't ever over shadow the plot. Lets face it some of these movies have such interesting plots yet get way too bogged down with the romance.

Anyway enough ranting, what follows include spoilers so you've been warned.

I don't feel like going to much into things, but if what you read above described how you felt about such films as Hunger Games and Twilight you'll be glad to know the romance is done far more subtly and sticks to a single person, no complicated love triangles here. It is there, and its pretty obvious and in the latter half of the film at times shoved in your face but its still at an acceptable level.
Now many reviews are comparing to the book what was in and what wasn't. I never read and probably never will. That said I have watched plenty of things that came from a comic or novel and can understand peoples irritation to changes and skipping things you consider important. Thing is we all know deep down, that you can't take every little thing from the book, it's impossible, I mean its just over 2hrs long as it is. Think how many books have had a single story split into multiple movies, I can only think of about 2 or 3 and even then I didn't read the book I just think it from one book. Like Harry Potter getting multiple movies to continue the story of Deathly Hallows. Had the series not already been as successful as it was I wonder would it of been split into 2 movies. Its the unfortunate curse that afflicts all of us that have read a story before seeing the movie and it will probably always be that way.

Film is largely centred around Tris and 4, so much if not all of the character development is found there. So the other characters often felt a little flat and merely used to progress the story and get from one scene to another. On the upside I felt they did a pretty good job of showing what the world was like with the 5 faction thing and even explaining what a Divergent was, though I feel its like advanced mathematics just because you understand it yourself doesn't mean you can automatically explain it to someone else. Without having read the novel I feel keeping the focus small and developing the world through Tris was part of what made it succeed. It may lack what you might of read in the novel, but as I said its impossible to bring all of that into a single movie. Since I only gave it 4* clearly it's not the best film I have ever seen, and you could pick it apart no end if you wish. However if you want to escape from your own life even for just a few hours, this can be an entertaining way to do so.

Not the best review in the world and I know I went all over the place, but hey I just wanted to add my thoughts and opinion to the mix.

Premium Quality Winter Soft Leather Warm Waterproof Insulated Gloves
Premium Quality Winter Soft Leather Warm Waterproof Insulated Gloves
Offered by ukshopsite

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't ask for more, 6 Feb. 2015
So good I plan to order a spare!. As others have said, very warm, although for me it takes a few minutes to feel it. That said, on windy or wet days the benefits are instant. Very comfy, tends to be too bulky to fit inside a coat, and found tightening the cuffs of the coat and allowing it to fit inside the glove was often easier and warmer. Great purchase.

Linx 8 inch Tablet - Black (Intel Atom Z3735G, 1Gb RAM, 32Gb storage, Camera, WLAN, BT, Windows 8) with Free Windows 10 Upgrade (Previous model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought a tablet, got a pocket PC!, 7 Nov. 2014
Unlike other people, I was completely unaware this had a desktop style Windows OS. So I'm sure you can Imagine my surprise when it first ran and I see Desktop app listed on metro Start Screen. Since I was ordering expecting the Tablet OS version I do have a few mixed feelings about the couple of apps I wanted(games) but cant get on this. That said I have Lumia 930(upgrade from920) a gaming pc running 8.1, a ZBOX running 8.1, and a very old but much loved HP Touchpad. As much as I love my touchpad I have to face facts on how limited I am using it now, and having a interest in new tech saw these tablets and pre-ordered from another site the 8inch version. To my annoyance the 10inch one wasn't listed anywhere when I originally ordered otherwise I would of gone for that but returning it now after use is too much of a pain and I have no issues with how the 8inch is behaving just so I can have 2gb ram not 1gb. In all honesty I prefer the 8inch size/weight as well.

Well onto what I can add in terms of information about these great devices. Personally have a connector to allow fullsize USB and a 13 port usb hub. Which is mainly full of charge/sync cables but it does have a wireless mouse, a wired keyboard and a old LG Blu-ray rewriter. It found them all and installed the drivers needed with no issues. Mouse was Razor Naga Epic which worked great and offered me to install Synapse to configure and sync profiles(I didnt bother though at the time). Keyboard worked fine and the Blu-ray drive seemed to load up ok(had driving test cd in didnt bother to install).
Its ironic that one the most common uses of a tablet is video playback, either streamed or from its own memory. I say ironic as this actually performs better at these tasks than a true Windows tablet would. Having desktop allow quick and easy, or maybe just familiar navigation to video on another computer once found waited a few seconds and played back with no issues, though it was mp4 so to be expected I guess. It was equally easy to add folders to my desktop and to pin new apps to taskbar. I also used desktop internet explorer to connect to prime instant video and nowtv neither of which can be played on a normal windows tablet but both worked perfectly for me on the Linx 8.
It only came today and I do have a lot to explore and test and play with. This certainly includes Stream after reading other reviews. Few programs I plan to test include Aida64, additional browsers in chrome and firefox, addons for flashblock, adblock and flash downloaders. RoboForm to help me remember all my accounts :) Media Player Classic is a must test. Utorrent, IRC client, potentially AVG and Avast to see if they provide protection while putting less strain on the device than Windows Defender.

A quick note, the 365 subscription is activated by launching the app from the start screen. Which in turns launches IE to which you log in to your Microsoft account activate and install if you wish. I do believe that while this does offer 1pc/mac + 1 tablet, that installing on the tablet actually counts as pc install. Though I will try and confirm this over the weekend.

Update 1
I have now installed pretty much everything stated above. So just MPC-HC with no codec packs works fine, unless I come across playback issues I doubt I'll install any. It feels faster and smoother than Windows Media Player and the video app.
Next was Chrome, installed without issue and added my account details. Then Chrome installed my add-ons bookmarks settings etc which all worked well giving me access to sites Chrome knew my login details for. Flashblock, Flash downloader and adblock work flawlessly, you don't get that on a normal tablet.
RoboForm works without issue as I guess you'd expect.
Aida64 even with my nearly 2year old license worked fine, displays all relevant info and on screen display works letting me see sensor info like temps, speed, and usages.
AVG installed ok but I messed up and installed full version with 30 day trial. Even so it seems to be working well. I did come across a YouTube video showing memory footprint of antivirus software. Top 5 in order;
1.Kompass
2.webroot
3.outpost
4.Avast free
5.AVG free
For now IRC and torrent are installed and working but not really tested them.

Update 2, I removed AVG since the trial ended, and tested Webroot Secure and found I liked it better Nod32 and Avast! so have now purchased a copy for 3 devices which covers my Linx, my gaming PC and my Media PC. I have found it to be less demanding and far less in your face than the others, aside from switching on I haven't been plagued by popups nor been told to buy this or that. I still keep a pendrive up to date with another anti virus just in case, but its been a good move so far.
I have now tried and tested Steam and it does work, however on the Linx 8 the 1gb ram is a bit limiting a few games I checked out I think would run if I had the Linx 10 with its 2gb ram, but its not a real issue for me, basically if it will run with 1gb ram or less the tablet seemed to run it without issue. I did try a few in demo mode and they played fairly smooth though at the time I tested them using a mini Bluetooth keyboard with a laptop style mouse pad. Would like to try Origin next time I have free time.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 9:14 PM GMT

Max Value USB 2.0 13 Port Hub
Max Value USB 2.0 13 Port Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have item!, 23 Oct. 2014
Everyone should have one! Simply a must have item for any pc. Saves fiddling at the of the pc I can plug all sorts in at once and works great as base station for charging phones and other usb devices. Just buy one!

Vority 3.1Amps/15.5W Dual USB Car Charger [Black] 2.1A/10.5Watts+1.0A/5Watts Universal Ports, Smart Power Supply For Apple iPad Air/4/3/2, iPhone 5S/5C/5/4S/4/3GS, iPod, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3/2, Note 3/2, S 4/3/2, Motorola Droid Rarz Maxx, Nokia, HTC, Kindle Fire HD, Android, Blackberry & Windows Phones & Tablets, PSP, GPS, MP3/MP4, Cameras, Bluetooth Speakers/Headset, Battery Cases, Power Banks & Most of USB2.0/USB3.0 Powered Devices. Portable Cigarette Lighter Adaptor, Double Mobile Travel Charging Station 12V Input - 5V Output. Fast & Smart DUO31CC - 2 Years Warranty! (Black 3.1A/15.5W)
Offered by u-Tab

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad when it works, 23 Oct. 2014
Works as expected but it a little short and can be fiddly in our multi-ring in the car. It does charge things quite fast once you get it in place

Duronic Hurricane 4 in 1 Rechargeable Wind-Up Dynamo Flashing Red LED, 10 LED Lantern & 3 LED Torch - USB Charging Function + 2 Year Warranty
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 23 Oct. 2014
No good for charging your phone so don't even bother. Aside from that it functions perfectly and great for walking the dog late in the evenings when its dark. The 3 modes work as expected and the ease of being able to wind it up while your out and mains charge from usb at home is great. Even ignoring the phone aspect I still give it 5 stars at this price!

Re-usable Pizza-mesh, Gives all round crispness to your pizza
Re-usable Pizza-mesh, Gives all round crispness to your pizza
Offered by Mega_Jumblesale

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Oct. 2014
So good I bought one of each shape. A joy to cook off, especially for pizza bases and bread or battered items that stick something terrible to a normal tray. Hardly anything sticks and even when it does a slight bend of the mesh and its loose without ruining your food or the tray

Planit Products Cookamesh Quicka Chips Basket BLMB334
Planit Products Cookamesh Quicka Chips Basket BLMB334
Offered by Mega_Jumblesale

cookamesh black oblong 24 x 37cm - for perfectly cooked oven food
cookamesh black oblong 24 x 37cm - for perfectly cooked oven food
Offered by Swan Household

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Oct. 2014
So good already bought two with plans for a 3rd one. Not all for me mind you, family members love it as well. Only complaint they have is the 8hr charge time, but I just put ours on charge at night, and ready in the morning. Works to charge 2 phones at once one wired and other wirelessly. Really are a blessing, I got a Nokia one free with a new phone it charges both the phone and itself at the same time, downside being its battery is supposed to be 2400 the same as the phone yet I rarely ever get 50% extra charge off it with the phone on airplane mode(bad signal =faster battery drain) at work in my locker. I get a easy 2 full charges off this with about a 50% charge left if I needed it. Honestly you could upgrade to a Qi phone just so you can enjoy the convenience of these chargers

Page: 1 | 2