Profile for R. Cassidy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Beads Unlimited 22 x 10 mm Metal Small Swivel Clip, Pack of 20, Antique Silver
Beads Unlimited 22 x 10 mm Metal Small Swivel Clip, Pack of 20, Antique Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, 25 Jun. 2016
Pretty little clips, bright shiny silver: very small - ok, they do give the measurements and they are accurate but somehow they look bigger in the picture.

They are also extremely flimsy: the first one broke after just two days. Presumably most buyers will want them for charm bracelets (?) so don't use them for charms that have any value.

Luckily the clip broke - it was the upper part, which just snapped clean off - as I was clipping it in place, so at least I didn't lose the hanging item. Anyone want 19 unreliable swivel clips?

Dark Sky Island
Dark Sky Island
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars What's "de luxe" about this?, 7 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Dark Sky Island (Audio CD)
I have bought this as a gift, and I'm pretty cheesed off that it has arrived with no proper hard plastic jewel case, just a printed card folder, in shrink wrap.

Forget the quality or otherwise of the content, this is terrible packaging! Yes, I have any number of spare jewel cases, but I shall have to unpeel the shrink wrap in order to put it in one - assuming that the printed card will be the correct size - and thus it is no longer a "brand new" looking present.

Sheesh!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 4:03 PM GMT

Laura Ashley Heavy Duty Garden Gloves - Cressida Pattern - Size Medium
Laura Ashley Heavy Duty Garden Gloves - Cressida Pattern - Size Medium
Offered by Garden Gear

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but useless, 4 Nov. 2015
Beautiful gloves: superbly made, wonderful soft supple leather, very comfortable to work in, and a pretty pattern. Unfortunately, within a week they had gone through at the fingertips. In my opinion, the manufacturer/designer spent too much time deciding to put little "pads" inside every finger panel, and putting fancy stitching all over the palm, and not enough time testing the darned things, to see how they stand up to real use in a real garden.

And what idiot thought that "white" was a good colour for a gardening glove!

I cannot recommend these gloves at all: I find the Briers range to be much more hard-wearing at half the cost. The Briers Professional leather glove is as comfy as this one (at half the price) and if you really think the ladies only like pink (what century are you living in, I have to ask?) then Briers even make a Lady Gardener Glove in hideous shades of cerise and lilac.

Edit: I have now downrated my review from two stars to the minimum of one star: I contacted Laura Ashley to ask for a replacement, and was told that they don't actually make the gloves, they are made under licence, so Laura Ashley don't hold any stock of the product, and will not have anything to do with replacing them. Despite the product having a large label embroidered with their name, sticking out the side of every glove. Thanks, Laura Ashley, I won't be buying anything with your name on it again, as clearly you don't care where you put your name.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Old Fashioned Roses: Their Care and Cultivation (Cassell Illustrated Monographs)
by Amanda Beales

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful colour photos, 31 Oct. 2015
A lovely, book: huge, beautiful illustrations of the blooms, each one with a good description of it's type, what conditions it likes, and where it will flourish. The main section of colour photos is prefaced by a run-through of all the many types of "old fashioned rose" and I have to say, there are many more types than I had realised. There is also a section on problems, pests and pruning, although I would have liked to have seen more detail on the pruning.

**PACK OF 5** - NOKIA 5230 INVISIBLE Screen Protector with cleaning cloth - Hi-TEC ESSENTIALS
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast delivery, 19 Feb. 2015
Super fast delivery, excellent product, easy to fit, good quality screen cover, just the right quantity (5 per pack) for the price. They even provide a dinky little cloth for wiping the screen before fitting, and a handy bubble squasher.

Dark Skies: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dark Skies: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Close

3.0 out of 5 stars Merely Middling..., 15 Feb. 2015
The reviews were so good, I thought I'd give it a try, but I am somewhat disappointed. Mulder and Scully it ain't! The special effects are very good, there's a refreshing lack of excessive cgi, and the aliens are perfectly acceptable. But somehow there is a lack of excitement, no real tension, no charisma between the two leads: in fact, the girl is so bland and expressionless that every time she changed hairstyles, I thought it was a different actress. And the boy, despite the side parting, wears all his clothes like a nineties man.

In fact, I think that's what disappointed me about the show, the fact that it was set in the 60s. Maybe an american audience can soak up the retro style? And certainly the use of old footage, and the blending of new footage from b/w into colour, was very well done. But somehow I couldn't "engage" with the whole 60s thing.

Usually, I love watching boxed sets because you can really get "into" the show, I feel that the binge-watch experience is much closer to that of the people involved in it, the actors and production teams, in that they spend months at a time non-stop writing/pre-production/rehearsing/filming/editing and really "live" the show. As opposed to us, waiting a whole week between instalments. But this show - it just didn't grip me.

Reading some of the other reviews, possibly I have reached the mid-season dip of which several reviewers spoke: at the moment I am not likely to continue any further, and it's very rare for me to dislike a sci-fi show. I don't really dislike this one, it has just failed to interest me.

In my opinion, people read these reviews for two reasons: either a) they already know the show and just want technical info, ie extras, quality of transfer, packaging, delivery etc, or b) they don't already know the show, in which case they want reasons to buy or reasons to avoid, preferably with sensible comments such as "if you liked X then you will like/dislike this".

So, in the interests of people thinking about buying this show - I love X-files, SG-1. Firefly, Grimm, Andromeda, Buffy, Angel, Warehouse 13 (not impressed with Librarians, won't be buying that), Sanctuary, Torchwood, Bones: and I found this show a bit meh. I hope that might help someone else who does not know the show to make their decision.

Art in the Dark, Christmas LED Church Scene, Canvas
Art in the Dark, Christmas LED Church Scene, Canvas
Offered by StarBuy

5.0 out of 5 stars ... present (I chose the picture) and I am very pleased with it, 6 Jan. 2015
Bought for me as a present (I chose the picture) and I am very pleased with it. Such a simple idea! it works equally well as a normal picture, or when you flip the switch on the side to turn on the lights. It was properly packed in a card box: it's pretty basic - the battery compartment on the back has no cover, you just pop in the three AA batteries and off you go. As well as the fold-out support arm shown, it has a simple metal clip at the top centre, so you can hang it on the wall as well.

It doesn't feel particularly sturdy: it's basically a wooden frame with the canvas stretched over it, so there would be a danger of ripping it, if carelessly handled, but it has already survived being dropped down the stairs, oops. I think that the picture might fade if left in daylight all year round, but as this is a very Christmassy scene, I'm planning to put it away over the summer, so that won't be a problem.

Candles - Set of 6 Citrus Yellow Bistro Style Dinner Candles
Candles - Set of 6 Citrus Yellow Bistro Style Dinner Candles
Offered by only the best deals 4u

5.0 out of 5 stars Super bright yellow!, 13 Dec. 2014
Fast delivery, good packaging, and just exactly the bright, number-plate yellow that I wanted. They were a little shorter than I had imagined, I was thinking of the tapered dinner candles: my fault for not googling "bistro style". But they are longer than the cheap white boxed candles that you buy in the supermarket.

Regatta Crossfell Men's Trousers
Regatta Crossfell Men's Trousers
Price: £15.86 - £52.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly the same as the ones in camping shops., 13 Dec. 2014
I was anxious about buying walking trousers off the internet: but these are exactly the same as the ones I bought in a walking shop - same size, same fabric, same quality, exactly the same but less than half the price. The reason? I couldn't find one, other than they have a slightly restricted choice of colour/size combination. Presumably this style is getting towards end-of-range?

These are classic walking trousers, the fabric does "squeak" slightly, as mentioned by another reviewer, but frankly anyone who goes walking half seriously will be wearing a gore-tex coat, and will be accustomed to the swishing noise.

I find them very light, yet windproof so they can be worn in comfort even on cold days. The fabric is not waterproof, but like all proper walking trousers, it doesn't soak upwards - so if your ankles brush wet grass, it doesn't work its way up any further.

If it rains, the fabric gets wet, but stays reasonably comfortable to wear - they don't cling clammily round your legs, and they dry really quickly as soon as it stops. Amusingly, there is a comment on the label saying "water resistant - re-proof after each wash" which is not much good as the whole point of these trousers is to be able to shove them in the washing machine at the end of a muddy day, and be able to wear them again the next day. They dry very quickly.

If you are concerned about the fit (I have to say, I do not understand the reviewer who said the waist was too high and the zip was too short) then go to any camping store and try on a few pairs. Be reassured these are the same as the ones sold in stores.

Uni Coloured Paint Marker Multi Surface Opaque Outdoor Marking Extra Fine Tip Pen PX-203 Gold
Offered by OMGHOWCHEAP LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely fine tip!, 19 Sept. 2014
Very good, super fine point, perfect for writing on black plastic plant labels, I am ordering more today! The ink was opaque, shiny, and free-flowing: the point is indeed very fine, and I easily got two lines of text on a smallish 4" plant lable. As per other comments, you need to shake-shake-shake on first use, then you have to gently and patiently pump the nib for a while until the ink starts to flow. I say "gently" to avoid spoiling the fine point. This ink on black plastic looks very stylish indeed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3