Profile for Penny Dreadful > Reviews

Content by Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful

YOYO S-106 10 Tier Adjustable Shoe Storage Shoe Rack Organiser Shelf Hold Stand for 50 Pairs , Space Saving , Easy Assemble
Offered by YoYo Info UK Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, 2 Jun. 2017
Too flimsy, collapsed more than once and is going to be binned soon. Don't waste your money

Liu & Qu Women's Elegant Open Front Draped Soft Trench Coat with Belt Black UK16
Offered by Hai Ji

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 27 Mar. 2017
Ok for the price but creases horribly. It arrived very creased and doesn't iron very well

Mildreds: The Vegetarian Cookbook
Mildreds: The Vegetarian Cookbook
by Daniel Acevedo

5.0 out of 5 stars Best new veggie book I've bought in a while, 21 Jun. 2015
This is a really interesting vegetarian cook book, and nearly every page has something I want to cook. Unusually, for a restaurant book, it doesn't have many hard to find ingredients, and the techniques are all pretty straightforward. I've made one dish so far and it turned out really well. I predict it will become one of those books that gets heavily damaged through lots of in-the-kitchen use!

The Vegetarian Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity with Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, and More, Based on the Wisdom of Leading American Chefs
by Karen Page

2.0 out of 5 stars Ignorant, 4 Jan. 2015
Not sure how a supposedly vegetarian book has non-vegetarian items in without pointing out that they aren't vegetarian. Would be really problematic if used by someone new to the diet or someone cooking for a vegetarian who wasn't clued up on the danger areas.

Veg for All Seasons
Veg for All Seasons
by Linda Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kitchen Friend, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Veg for All Seasons (Paperback)
What a friendly, well-written book.

I bought this book due to being an acquaintance of the author's son, but have been genuinely pleased and impressed by it. It's one of those cook books that becomes bedtime reading (come on, I know I'm not the only one who does that!) The tone of the book makes it feel like the author is in the kitchen with you; it's conversational and engaging.

I'd particularly suggest it would be of use to gardeners - the book is divided by produce and so I already have pages folded in anticipation of this year's various vegetable gluts. Over all, this book is enjoyable, helpful, informative and friendly. I'm not sure you could ask for more?

Blood Guilt (A Steel City Thriller Book 1)
Blood Guilt (A Steel City Thriller Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars What a terrible book, 28 Mar. 2014
I bought this because it was set in my home city, and I love a good thriller. In particular I thought it would be interesting as the subtitle indicates it is a "steel city" thriller. I couldn't have been more wrong, and, rarely for me, I couldn't finish it.

The dialogue was actually quite painful, and I'd wager that the author has never met anyone who works in the professions about which he writes (I do, and we don't use the terminology he seems to think we do). As a result, it lacks authenticity.

As to the "steel city" reference, the city plays no role at all beyond an odd geographical name. I'd perhaps expected the city featuring in the same way that Berlin does in the breathtakingly excellent Philip Kerr Bernie Gunther books. In reality, this book could have been set anywhere, so I'm not sure why it was given the geographic subtitle.

I managed 80% of the novel and decided life was too short. I really can't remember the last time I gave up on a book, no matter how badly written or clunking. To me, that says it all. Avoid.

The Woman Before Me: International Bestseller. Shocking. Page-Turning. Intelligent. Psychological Thriller Series with Cate Austin (New Edition)
by Ruth Dugdall

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful Quality, 6 Oct. 2011
The story in itself, such as it is, is reasonably enjoyable, but the number of typographical errors and spelling mistakes in the book drove me mad. I have honestly never come across this in a mainstream novel published in the UK before; I really didn't imagine it happened. I would suggest that the publisher is in dire need of a proofreader (or should exchange their existing proofreader for a decent one).

Vegetarian
Vegetarian
by Alice Hart

3.0 out of 5 stars one glaring error, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Vegetarian (Paperback)
I would happily give this book 5 stars but for one major error; the book is meant to be vegetarian but throughout it recipes contain Parmesan - there's no explanation in any of the text that this would need to be substituted to make the recipe actually vegetarian, and not all veggies, especially maybe new ones, would know this. Other than this the book is great, the recipes are interesting, varied and some are quite unusual. Just a real shame that it has this serious inaccuracy.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 8:46 AM BST