Profile for Andy Hillier > Reviews

Content by Andy Hillier

Andy Hillier (Margate, Kent United Kingdom)

After the Fall
After the Fall

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: After the Fall (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. Credible characters that I came to care about as the plot developed. Some well-crafted prose, too.

Genuine Original Apple Iphone 4, 4S USB Data Sync Cable Lead
Genuine Original Apple Iphone 4, 4S USB Data Sync Cable Lead

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 21 Jun. 2013
Not really sure what one can one say about an Iphone lead! It does the job I bought it to do!

Elgar (Master Musicians)
Elgar (Master Musicians)

4.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, 21 Jun. 2013
Illuminating to read an Elgar biography by one of his closest friends. Many fascinating anecdotes - and not all of them music related. Very readable and conversational prose that don't seem at all dated, considering the fact that they were written within a few short years of Elgar's death.

The Throwback
The Throwback
by Tom Sharpe

1.0 out of 5 stars Tired, dated...and just not funny, 17 July 2011
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
Having cried genuine tears of laughter while reading Porterhouse Blue twenty years ago, when my book club chose The Throwback for last month's read I ordered it with eager anticipation. Oh dear! What a let-down! I feared that maybe my sense of humour had dulled with age - until I met with precisely the same reaction from everyone else in the group. It's crude, tired, dated .....and, well, just not very funny!

Tennyson's Gift
Tennyson's Gift
by Lynne Truss

2.0 out of 5 stars It just didn't do it for me!, 22 July 2004
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
I was introduced to Lynne Truss via her excellent, informative and witty "Eats Shoots and Leaves", and I took out "Tennyson's Gift" from the library full of expectation. Maybe it was just me, but I found it unnecessarily wordy and very slow to get going. I rarely give up on a book, but this one just didn't do it for me, and I returned it to the library after Chapter Four. There will be those who love it, I'm sure! On a positive note, Lynne, the punctuation was absolutely first rate!