Profile for Chantal Lyons > Reviews

Content by Chantal Lyons

Chantal Lyons "C.S. Lyons" (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
RockFace All Weather Moisturiser 150 ml
RockFace All Weather Moisturiser 150 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I find it amusing that some of us reviewers think this moisturiser smells masculine and others think it smells feminine. I'm in the masculine camp - it reminds me an awful lot of the cologne a male friend of mine uses. I would have preferred the smell to be more neutral, or less pungent, especially as it seems to linger longer than the moisturising effect of the cream. The reason I've given three stars instead of two is that the cream isn't greasy, so it's convenient to apply whether out and about or at your work desk, etc. But I do feel that there are moisturisers out there that are similar in price but leave your skin feel moisturised for longer.

The Time in Between: A Memoir of Hunger and Hope
The Time in Between: A Memoir of Hunger and Hope
by Nancy Tucker

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read, but so important, 5 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Reading this book is like having a swarm of ants running all over your brain. It's itchy and restless and dark, and not really what I'd called a "pleasant" experience - but I'm glad I read it. While I'm sure no two people experience their eating disorder in the same way, much like with Matt Haig's musings on depression, "The Time In Between" provides a powerful glimpse into what it's like to have anorexia or bulimia. It makes you angry, it disgusts you, it horrifies you. It makes you so sad.

Nancy Tucker writes brilliantly, and I hope she'll turn to other projects in the future, fiction or nonfiction. She hooks into you, even when you want to look away. The stylistic issue of Capitalising So Many Of The Words gets annoying after a while, but it's a minor criticism. The one thing I felt was missing was the explanation of how the book came to be picked up. Did she make the initial approach of agents? Was she elated or anxious when she signed her book deal? Given that the book goes up to when she's nineteen, and she must have finished the book around this time (she's 21 one now and it takes roughly 2 years for a book to go from being picked up to being published). Still, another fairly minor quibble.

The final thing it's worth dwelling on in my review is whether this is a book to recommend for people themselves experiencing eating disorders. I honestly don't know. I thought it would be "yes" before I read it. But definitely one I'd recommend to psychologists, to teachers, to pretty much anyone who works with children or has children, and to the friends of those who suffer these awful illnesses.

The Gracekeepers
The Gracekeepers
by Kirsty Logan

4.0 out of 5 stars Never reached its full potential, 22 April 2015
This review is from: The Gracekeepers (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very pretty book with which to while away a few hours with. The story and the prose are both dream-like, with the same refined beauty of something like the afterlife scenes from the film version of The Lovely Bones. I enjoyed it, and looked forward to going back to it, but can't give it more than four stars because ultimately it felt quite shallow. The relatively short length constrains the narrative, especially when a number of the chapters are given over to secondary characters; the title seemed a little too shrewdly chosen ("keeper" seems to be a popular word choice for mass appeal women-targeted novels); and the circus setting also seemed designed specifically to push the right marketing buttons, building on the success of bestsellers like "The Night Circus". I never felt that I had much of a chance to grow to know the important characters, nor the fascinating world they inhabited. I really, really wish "The Gracekeepers" had been fleshed out. If it had been, this would be something very special. Instead, while I'm glad I read it (and absolutely adore the cover), I suspect I will soon forget it.

Philips HP6583/03 SatinPerfect Wet and Dry Epilator with Skin Tautening Attachment Shaver Head, Sensitive Cap and Tweezers

5.0 out of 5 stars Really recommended as a high-end epilator, 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having had the opportunity to try one Phillips model down from this (as per the table on the product page), I'd say there's no difference between them in performance, and the current Amazon price makes this one much better value. You don't get the "Precision Epilator", but again, no difference between this and the main epilator.

The one extra attachment you get in this package, the "sensitive area cap", is one I admit I haven't actually tried - armpit epilation is painful enough, so I don't think I'm ever going to be brave enough to go THERE. Some people find leg epilation similarly painful, but either I've got used to it over the years or the models on the market like this one are better-designed now for comfort.

The epilator package comes with a few nice extras - a trimmer attachment (even though I doubt I'll use that myself), high-quality tweezers with a bright light, and an attractively-designed epilator also with its own light. The fact that it's waterproof also makes cleaning easier and more hygienic.

Does this epilator leave your skin feeling as silky smooth as if you'd just shaved it? Not quite, but it's still better than shaving in the long-run - cheaper, no shaving cuts, no shaving foam needed (though regular moisturising and exfoliation is an absolute must), more time before you need to remove the hair again, and no prickly stubby feeling.

Voyage of the Basilisk: A Memoir by Lady Trent (A Natural History of Dragons 3) (Memoir By Lady Trent 3)
by Marie Brennan

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation, 3 April 2015
Brennan's back on form with the third instalment of Isabella's adventures as she travels the world seeking new discoveries about dragon-kind. "The Tropic Of Serpents" was a disappointment for me, with a lot of the names and the state politics utterly boring me. There's the usual plethora of unusual names in this book too (with Hawaii being a particular inspiration) but the story never gets bogged down this time around.

I think it helps that Isabella visits so many places this time, and sees so many different creatures (not all of them dragons). Her formal Victorian narration is a delight to read as usual (particularly when Isabella/Brennan's dry humour is applied), and there's a lovely atmosphere of scientific/archaeological mystery. The climax is, as it was in the previous book, centred around state politics and hostilities again, but this time Isabella ends up in the thick of it and doesn't relate it in a dull, concluded way which was the real failing of "The Tropic Of Serpents".

I eagerly await the next instalment! (And the cover - though it's hard to imagine what could be more beautiful than this one)

Breville 4-Slice Toaster the Perfect Fit for Warburtons
Breville 4-Slice Toaster the Perfect Fit for Warburtons

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great, 1 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really pleased with this toaster; it looks stylish and it's got plenty of handy functions, not least the ability to lift food higher when needed - crumpets are usually a nightmare!

Don't be put off by the "perfect for Warburtons" strapline. Other bread and other toast-able food items fit and toast fine in this. It's got a good toasting speed and you can heat two pieces rather than four at a time if you choose to. The defrost setting worked reasonably well, to my mind at least, though I've never had a toaster that did this before so I can't compare.

The toaster is a bit bulky (I've stacked it on top of another appliance!), but to be honest, four-piece toasters are always going to be bulky. The fifth star was knocked off due to the less-than-accessible breadcrumb trays which, as other reviewers have pointed out, have to be pulled out from the rear.

Uprooted
Uprooted
by Naomi Novik

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic in every way, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Uprooted (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a huge fan of Novik's Temeraire series, but the last few books have gone from bad to dire. So I'm delighted that Novik's gone and written this instead - it's given her the break she clearly needs from Temeraire, and it's a fantastic book in its own right.

I'd been planning to read a different book before this one, and only meant to glance at the first few pages, but I was sucked in too quickly. The blurb of the book reveals barely anything, to its credit, and the story soon started to have more than a hint of Studio Ghibli's "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" to it. In a way it's hard to pin down exactly why I felt so gripped; I just know that it was so hard to put down, even to the point where if I was walking to work and I had to wait at traffic lights before I could cross the road, I'd get the book out to read another paragraph or two.

The magic in "Uprooted" is one of the stars - beautifully described and imagined, novel-feeling despite the classic fairytale style. I felt less attached to the main character than to the Dragon, her (definitely human) teacher, and to her best friend, Kasia, but that was fine, and often the dialogue and the exploits would have me grinning or smiling or my eyes racing across the lines of the page. The ending was perfect. I'd like to keep following the characters, but I don't know if there is any more story left to make a sequel - perhaps it's for the best.

This is quite a hefty book, as fairytales go; a more cautious publisher might have split it into two. But if you start with any trepidation, it'll soon turn to gladness that there's so much to read. It's also a novel that I expect will appeal to a wide age range, from about fourteen-fifteen and up. I'm almost twenty-five and I can see myself going back to "Uprooted" again and again over the years.

Oral B Vitality Plus Trizone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Vitality Plus Trizone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 23 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm pretty sure this model is the same as the one I've used for the last four years, although if it is the price has really dropped, and makes the brush good value for what it does.

The brush arrives fully charged (a nice courtesy), with two heads included. I probably don't need to say this but just in case, you can use any Oral B electric head on the brush. Putting on and removing the head is simple and easy. The charger which the brush comes with is also standard across Oral B electric toothbrushes. The battery isn't great, and even on the first try I found that the toothbrush does that odd stalling thing halfway through my brushing like my previous Oral B one did, but again, it's still good value for money.

I'd also recommend patting the body of the brush dry after use - my previous Oral B toothbrush ended up getting a black mould on the silicon/rubbery part which was absolutely impossible to get rid of.

Philips SatinPerfect Deluxe HP6581/03 Wet and Dry Epilator, with Skin Tautening Attachment, Shaver Head and Precision Epilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Best epilator I've ever used, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This epilator pack is utter luxury.

I've used two epilators in the past, that both cost in the region of about £30. They never left me feeling smooth, rather "slightly fuzzy", but I shrugged and accepted it because it was cheaper than shaving in the long-term. I assumed all epilators were like this. But when I tried this one for the first time, with the skin tautening attachment, I was amazed - my legs genuinely felt like I'd shaved them. It was a revelation. Sure, not a cheap revelation, but have you seen how much shaving heads cost?

The other attachment you can use with the main epilator is a massage one, but it didn't work so well in getting all the hairs. The pack also comes with a trimmer, a slightly scarier-looking piece of equipment that I may/may not use. Given how much epilating on the armpits hurts (regardless of how long I've been epilating them), I don't think I'd be brave enough to try on the bikini line.

The precision epilator is useful for the harder-to-get hairs on knees and in awkward parts of the armpit, although it's only marginally better than the main epilator at this. It runs on batteries (which Philips helpfully provides the first batch of) instead of a rechargeable battery like the main epilator, presumably because of its small size.

Other pluses:
- The main epilator has a light which helps show you errant hairs to go back over
- Small pouch provided as is standard with epilators, although it can't quite fit everything in (but you're probably unlikely to need everything in one go)
- Includes one of those nifty pairs of tweezers with a bright LED light
- All the equipment is waterproof so cleaning the epilating heads is much easier (my last one didn't allow this, annoyingly) and probably more hygienic

Unfortunately, there are a few cons which - bearing in mind the cost of this pack - made it four stars rather than five:
- The instructions only have pictures and no words, which didn't always seem clear
- The power button on the main epilator is extremely fiddly; I thought mine was defective at first because I kept pressing and it just wouldn't turn on. There's a skill required to push it in exactly the right way. Which is pretty annoying.
- The attachments for the main epilator are very hard to detach; when I wanted to switch the tautener for the massager, I spent about five minutes wrestling with the equipment and worrying that I was going to end up breaking it

Gemini Cell (Shadow Ops)
Gemini Cell (Shadow Ops)
by Myke Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars Myke Cole goes from strength to strength, 13 Mar. 2015
It tends to take me a few chapters to get into Cole's books, but once I'm there I'm gripped harder and harder till the only way to escape is to finish the story. And what a dark one this is. No one's safe (not even dogs and goats).

Cole manages as usual to fuse a hard military atmosphere with arcane magic in spectacular fashion, and things move at a breakneck pace for the whole book. I wasn't sure if his next one in the works - "Javelin Rain" was a sequel, but after finishing this one and checking on his blog, I was happy to find it is indeed. Because I really, REALLY need to know what'll happen next.

(Apologies for the short review - there wasn't anything else that needed to be said!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20