Profile for 14billionlightyears > Reviews

Content by 14billionlight...

14billionlightyears "sravana"

ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT - 10.1" FUSION5 XTRA SPACE 32GB TABLET PC - QUAD-CORE CPU - POWERFUL GPU - SLEEK DESIGN - BLUETOOTH
Offered by F5CS LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't be better for the price, 15 Dec. 2014
Arrived within the week; Royal Mail tracking was invaluable for delivery date; tablet does everything i need - mostly word-processing whie travelling; using the free Polaris Office download - everything I'd expect, now that I have the TF card installed. couldn't be better for the price...

The Feeling Of What Happens: Body, Emotion and the Making of Consciousness
The Feeling Of What Happens: Body, Emotion and the Making of Consciousness
by Antonio Damasio

5.0 out of 5 stars The Feeling of Self, 18 Dec. 2003
Beware! This book will change forever your idea about your self. Starting from the premise that selves begin in bodies, Damasio outlines how the brain's ability to build a map of the state of the body, using electrical and chemical mesages, forms the basis of the 'proto-self' and how 'second-order' maps of the changes which result in the body as a result of stimuli ( both external and internal) add a second-order of mapping which, by being repeatedly recreated over time emerge as the 'self'. It is, says Damasio, upon this self that higher orders of memory and intellect create the elaborate structure of the individual.When I first read it, I suspected the author of the usual slight of hand which gets us from biology to awareness, but I've read it three times now and am convinced. This is really the only biology of Self that I have encountered. Personally I'd like to add a little of Daniel Dennett's 'centre of narrative' to the mix (see 'Consciousness Explained'), despite his less convincing biology, but my neuroscience contacts tell me that Damasio's approach is now the most widely accepted, and I can well understand why. A stunning idea lucidly expounded. Read it!