Profile for J. Stewart > Reviews

Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swimming Goggles Senior
Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swimming Goggles Senior
Offered by Dive Instinct

3.0 out of 5 stars Lick them, 13 July 2016
I did hours of research on which goggles to buy and settled on these. They fogged up and leaked on my first swim. Not badly on either count but they did.

The best solution I found is to lick the inside of the lenses. They still leak but tend to stay fog free.

I'm a recreational swimmer, nothing serious so it doesn't really matter. I like to get in the pool to cool down and relax after a gym session so I suppose my face is hotter than usual which might account for the fogging. Also, the fit might not be ideal for my incredibly handsome features.

Verdict: An average pair of googles which look cool. The case is nothing special and in fact is a bit too fiddly for my liking. When trying to stuff the goggles back in the case it usually falls apart. I just bung them in my gym bag now.

Trigger Hippy
Trigger Hippy

5.0 out of 5 stars What a good album!, 10 May 2016
This review is from: Trigger Hippy (MP3 Download)
What a good album!

Apologies for the short review but if you're considering buying this album - go ahead. Take the plunge, you won't be sorry!

Im no expert but have listened to a lot of Black Crowes, CRB, Hard Working Americans and this ranks as my favourite album of all of them.In particular, "Rise Up Singing" and "Heartache On The Line" are simply magnificent songs.

Four Berry Jam
Four Berry Jam

5.0 out of 5 stars A real blues album for a change!, 12 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Four Berry Jam (MP3 Download)
This is one of my favourite blues albums. I love Matt's laid-back playing style - one of those players with the right note at the right time and with no notes being equally as important as those he plays. I also love the freshness of it. I wanted to say "raw" but its not a raw album. Matt's voice is as laid back as his playing. Probably not everyones cup of tea but the whole package is well worth the investment!

Matt is definitely one to watch. Don't change anything Matt, just more of the same please!!

Crosseyed Heart
Crosseyed Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 4 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Crosseyed Heart (Audio CD)
On first listen I wasn't sure I would like the album but there were a few tracks that stood out. Now after several listens I like the album a lot!
Go Keef!
Great guitar and vocals although some of the lyrics are odd (didn't remember the Titanic had sunk) :-)
Also, I haven't got my head around Goodnight Irene and have to skip past that song.

FS1-P USB Single Foot Switch Pedal Control Keyboard Mouse PC Game Plastic
FS1-P USB Single Foot Switch Pedal Control Keyboard Mouse PC Game Plastic
Offered by Universal Color

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 4 Feb. 2016
You can't argue with the price but it dopes ship from China which wasn't clear to me (perhaps I didn't look). Anyway, it only took a week to arrive which, given the price is OK.
The unit is plastic with a long USB cable and comes with the required software to program it.
When I plug it in it gets discovered as the 3 pedal unit (FS3-P), not the single pedal unit which is odd. I just programmed all 3 switches in the program to be the key I wanted and it works fine. I briefly tried programming a mouse click which didn't work and I couldn't easily decipher the translated instructions. I'll try again at some point.
Also, I expected the rocker to be at the rear of the unit but it's in the front (which you can clearly see in the picture). It just means you need more of your foot on the switch than just a tor or 2.
Overall, it works fine and I'm happy. I use it as a space bar so I can stop and start YouTube guitar videos when I'm trying to learn a song without taking my hands off the guitar.

Digitech Trio Band Creator
Digitech Trio Band Creator

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding piece of kit!, 23 Jun. 2015
My Trio arrived yesterday and after a bit of fumbling I got it sussed enough to use and am blown away! I have the drums & bass going through a mixer & monitors and the guitar through my effects pedals and into my amp

Pro's:
The sound, tone, quality of the drums and bass is amazing. They are samples of top session musicians which explains it.
The patterns in no way sound static or canned. It really sounds live.
You can record your song and then alter the pattern of both drums and bass, alter their volumes and slow down or speed up the song with NO change in pitch
There is plenty of choice in patterns and styles
The Trio comes with a 9v PSU and is built solidly. The knobs and buttons are easy to use and you can get by without the foot controller but I imagine it will be useful so will probably buy one.
The actual footswitch is a soft touch so you don't have to stomp on it, just press down gently.

Cons
Not really a con but I couldn't get anything to record until I turned the guitar volume up high enough (duh)
You can only record 3 parts. This could be 3 parts to 1 song, or 3 different songs, but there is no way to copy what you've recorded to your PC.
For this reason alone the Trio is unlikely to be part of a live gig.
You can't record your rhythm section so it's just you, the drums and the bass
The buttons are very small so if you were standing you might find it annoying to change things (the knobs are fine)
Another non-con is that ideally you want to split the drums and bass into a desk or separate amp to avoid effects pedals modifying the sound

I'll edit this review if my opinion changes but I am honestly over the moon with it and at £140 it's money well spent. Until now I have been recording songs to jam against on a DAW but this is infinitely easier for that purpose.

Bottom line: If you spend time practising alone (and who doesn't) and want to jam then look no further!

ORBITSOUND M10LX Soundbar
ORBITSOUND M10LX Soundbar
Offered by Tech Nuts

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst shoopping experience in a long time, 30 Oct. 2014
Positives:
Prompt email response
Great sound when it works
Looks pretty cool with the speaker cover removed (thankfully).

Negatives:
I bought a refurbished unit from 3 Monkeys in August. The unit took 2 weeks to arrive despite several emails from me. At this point I will praise Andrew from 3 Monkeys who always responds quickly and courteously even if the company is unable to dispatch anything on time.

The unit arrived without a remote control. In addition there was a dent in one of the speaker cones and one of the LED's did not work. I raised my concerns with Andrew who arranged for a remote control to be delivered and also refunded me £40 if I agreed to accept the unit as-is, which I did. The remote control took over a week to arrive.

The sound is very good, and adds a lot to the viewing experience. However, the only way I can get the remote control to work is to remove the speaker cover which obscures the IR sensor. Even then the remote doesn't work well despite having a brand new battery fitted. The remote control is no more than 2 meters away when this is experienced.

The remote has to be the worst designed RC ever. It is small and black with very small buttons which sit close together. The labelling of the buttons is so small and faint that you can't easily pick the right button. You would think that having large volume Up and Volume Down buttons would be a good idea as they are going to be the most used buttons on the thing. Instead they sit towards the middle of the remote, between other rows of buttons and look identical.

Within 3 months of using the Orbitsound it has packed up completely. I changed the fuse in the plug, swapped power sockets etc to no avail. Once again Andrew was quick to respond however....

"your warranty covers you for repairs outside 14 days of having the unit , if they are not able to repair your unit and we have a replacement in stock we will issue you with a replacement , if no replacements are in stock we will issue you a full refund"

So now Andrew will arrange collection and I can only guess that I will wait for weeks and weeks for this to be resolved.

I don't want a repaired unit, just my money back. I have zero confidence in the product and will not buy another Orbitsound product again. I most certainly will not buy anything from 3 Monkeys again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2015 7:47 PM GMT

Blues Pills
Blues Pills

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots to like, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Blues Pills (MP3 Download)
Lots to like but I find the vocal too... shrill (?)... not sure how to explain what I mean but Elin's voice is high pitched and I find it difficult to listen to the whole album. There are tracks where she pitches low at first and that works great but by the time the chorus comes it's back up high again.

That's not meant as an insult, just an opinion. The band as a whole is great, some very tasteful guitar work and plenty of good songs.

Refuse To Lose
Refuse To Lose

3.0 out of 5 stars Blame Game, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Refuse To Lose (MP3 Download)
Average album, the guitar playing is faultless but the lyrics lack maturity in my opinion and that results in me hitting the next button a lot a lot. I'm sure that will improve with age though! The stand out track for me is Blame Game, I love it and it's the reason for the 3rd star. I hope you go from strength to strength Jarekus.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6