Profile for Wabnitz Hans-werner > Reviews

Content by Wabnitz Hans-w...

Wabnitz Hans-werner "HWW" (St Jean de Vedas, France)

The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal (P.S.)
The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal (P.S.)
by Jared Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant overview of the human development - and a warning for its ending, 15 July 2009
The book :The Third Chimpanzee" by Diamond is a <must read> - indeed fascinating in its overview of the human genesis, rational and logic in the description of the various development steps, the discussion of scientific disputes of interpretation and in the author's own conclusions. By stressing (and giving evidence of) the animal-ancestry of humans, it humbles one's own perception of being, illuminating the slight difference we have in our genes from the chimpanzees, and at the same time making one aware of the fragility, both of ourselves, and our dependance on the environment.
Diamond is a gifted writer, one is spellbound by the development of his thesis, and the interspersed personal experiences make the thesis trustworthy and lively.
His is an eloquent and potent warning against our own self-inflicted extinction - currently running full steam against the wall.
I bought and read the follow-on books "guns, steel and germs" and "collapse" and they are equally gripping.
I gave numbers to all my friends to read - so convinced I am :-)
You'll enjoy it !