Profile for H. C. Jerrome > Reviews

Content by H. C. Jerrome

H. C. Jerrome (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Remember Me [DVD] [2010]
Remember Me [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Robert Pattinson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly brilliant, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Remember Me [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Like many other people, I went to see this purely as a Robert Pattinson fan, with very little idea about the plot or the storyline. All I'd heard was that it was different from the Twilight series, which suited me just fine.

The film was funny, happy, sad and incredibly touching, all at the same time. It tells the story of a young man who uses love to get past his problems and find himself. At many points throughout the film I found myself connecting with the main characters - as a 19 year old, I'm at the age where I don't know who I am or what I want to be (just like Tyler) and I was bullied as a child and so can connect with Tyler's younger sister, Caroline.

I've only seen it once, on the day it was released in the cinema, and the story still touches me today. I was in tears at the end of the film and have only been this moved by one other film in my life - Titanic. I would recommend it to anyone who is in touch with real life and understands/can cope with the fact that not everything has a happy ending.

I will always, always remember "Remember Me".
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 1:17 PM GMT

Ocean Eyes
Ocean Eyes
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic band, fantastic album!, 11 May 2010
This review is from: Ocean Eyes (Audio CD)
If you're looking for pop that's a little bit quirky and a little bit funky, this is the right album for you. There are slower, more touching songs like Meteor Shower and then there are the songs that get you jumping off your feet to dance like Umbrella Beach :)

A month after buying it I am still listening to the album daily! Absolutely recommend it, especially for fans of bands like Scouting For Girls (although I'm not a huge fan of theirs, I can hear the resemblance).

Nurse Jackie - Season 1 [DVD]
Nurse Jackie - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edie Falco

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this series!, 1 May 2010
The only complaint I have about this series is that, at 12 episodes, there aren't enough episodes!

I was in stitches at many points throughout watching this - at things from Dr Coop's "Tourettes reaction to stress" to Nurse Jackie's dry, deadpan retorts. I really wouldn't have thought this would be my kind of thing, as the sense of humour in it is dark, sarcastic and maybe slightly macabre at points; while I usually prefer more cheerful, slapstick-type comedy. However, the cast is perfect and the characters are mostly pretty likeable even through their shortcomings, and (like I've already said) - I loved it. It's extremely enjoyable for people with all sorts of tastes in comedy - however, I suggest you don't eat dinner while watching this (learning from my mistakes here) - as you wouldn't with any hospital-based drama.

I can't wait for series 2, and really hope it will be shown on TV in the UK too!

Epic Movie [DVD] [2007]
Epic Movie [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Kal Penn
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Epic Movie = Epic Fail, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Epic Movie [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This is the worst film I have ever seen. Going to see it in the cinema was the biggest waste of my money in the world, and the DVD isn't even worth 10p. The only funny moments were shown in the trailer, which is about a minute long.

Yeah. Just don't bother - seriously.

Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD]
Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD]
Dvd ~ Catherine Tate
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and touching :), 19 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film! It's perfect for anyone who is a mother or teenage daughter, or a Catherine Tate/Robert Pattinson fan. I've heard a lot of bad reviews about this but I honestly can't see what they say about it - I thought it was funny, touching, heartwarming, and it gets better every time I watch it. Highly recommended!

The Haunted Airman [DVD]
The Haunted Airman [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Pattinson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Rob was great but the story makes very little sense..., 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
After watching this, I was left confused and a little creeped out. I understood that he was an RAF pilot who had been in an accident... and that's just about it. The story doesn't make much sense and the end was completely unexpected! However, Rob did a brilliant job as always with the material he was given, so I praise him for that. I'll also be reading the book soon so that I can begin to understand what they were aiming for with his film.

Overall, if you're a Robert Pattinson fan watch it - it's worth it just for his acting. If not, I wouldn't recommend it, as I found his acting the only praiseworthy aspect of this film.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A relatively slow film with an explosive end, 10 Dec. 2009
This film starts off slow, and actually remains quite slow throughout, even though it really captured my attention! There are several moments where everyone jumped, but I have to say that the last 5 minutes really made this worth watching. I was shaking as I left the cinema - and that never happens! Since seeing it I've been jumping at everything I hear in the night.

Camerawork is a little shaky - but it really adds to the effectiveness, and once you get used to it it's no problem. The main actors/actresses were not perfect-looking Hollywood stars, which made it even more realistic.

Overall, worth it if you're looking for an adrenaline rush or a spooky film, but it would probably be better on a bigger screen, like the one at the cinema.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 23 Nov. 2009
I'm a huge fan of the books, they make for excellent light reading, however I was less than impressed with the first movie. With all the hype surrounding it, I was expecting something much better! I wasn't intending to go and see New Moon in the cinema as that book is my least favourite of the saga, until a friend asked, and I decided I might as well go along with her. Much to my surprise, it was fantastic! The actors, especially Kristen Stewart, had improved by miles. The vampires looked more vampire-ish, the film was incredibly true to the book, and the film in general was much more action-packed. There were a few laugh out loud moments when there weren't meant to be *cue Jacob ripping off his shirt*, which just added to the greatness of the film.

I'd hate to be included in the "Twilight Fan Girls" cliche, but I had to give it 5 stars. It was just that good. Finally it has been proven that a not-so-good book can be made into a great film. Hats off to the producers.

One Child
One Child
by Torey L. Hayden

5.0 out of 5 stars Torey Hayden is a fantastic woman, 10 Nov. 2009
This review is from: One Child (Paperback)
I have heard many people say that Torey's style of helping children is all wrong. Whatever these people may think, her work has clearly helped some (if not many) children escape from a world of abuse and unhappiness to find that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The lives of the children become her own, and she puts in everything she can to help them.

Her books captivate me, and I literally cannot put them down until I have finished reading them - they have never taken me more than 3 days to read, even when I am extremely busy. A highly recommended read, especially if you are interested in children or educational psychology.

Acer Aspire 5315 Notebook Laptop, Celeron M530 1.73GHz, 15.4" TFT, 1024MB RAM, 80GB Hard-drive, DVD±RW, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, WiFi, Vista Home Basic

3.0 out of 5 stars This should never have been sold with Vista on it, 11 Oct. 2009
I've had this laptop for just over 18 months, and although it has lasted this long, I'm now encountering some serious problems - so much so that I've felt the need to back up my files and am looking into buying a new one ASAP. Basically, it's most likely that the problem is the memory - or rather, the lack of it. Just having the laptop turned on, with no programmes running, takes up 75% of the 1GB of memory provided, and that's if I can get the laptop to turn on at all without freezing while it's trying to load.

When I first bought it, I had a lot of problems connecting to wireless internet even with excellent signal, and these have just got worse with time. The laptop was loaded up with free trials and other junk that wasn't necessary, although after uninstalling most of this, it worked fine and was relatively fast and reliable. But, like I said, the performance has declined hugely in the past 6 months even though I've hardly installed anything new in that time, and I'm not impressed!

If you do consider buying this laptop, I would HIGHLY recommend removing Windows Vista and installing Windows XP or Windows 7 as soon as you buy it. I wish I'd done that, as it may have saved me all this trouble.

I have given it 3 stars as it was cheap and should have been expected, however I wouldn't recommend this to someone who relies on their laptop for everything. I previously had a high opinion of Acer laptops, especially Acer Aspire, but not anymore. I don't think I'll be buying from them again, as they should have realised that this laptop was barely able to run Vista right from the start.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5