Profile for Sammij > Reviews

Content by Sammij

Sammij "bookmadgirl" (Essex, England)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
Horse Play: Churchminister series 5
Horse Play: Churchminister series 5
by Jo Carnegie

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love this!, 25 Jan. 2012
Must admit - bought JC's first book and didn't really get into it - however -glad i perservered as have loved every one after and this i think is the best!

Horse Play has a very similiar storyline to Jilly Coopers Jump! horses (of couse) pretty villages, middle-upper class people and all their connected stories.

and i love it! not being a horsey person myself, can't quite get into the horse world, but when you want a book to distract you from your own world -this is the book.

fab characters, a great story line (sorry won't rewrite the whole synopsis here - don't get why people do that??!!) and the story just rolls page after page.

One teeny weeny critiscm - 2 characters have a relationship and JC goes off on the fact there is 2 - yes 2 whole years between them. Think this was a bit far fetched as 2 years is nothing!!

can't wait for the next!

Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!!, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Have just watched on my Sky + and OMG!!!

the final episode is literally jawdropping and i cannot stop thinking about it.

Also- Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman - can i have my heart back please? No idea why, def not my usual type of chaps, but can these boys act!

Read today there will be a series 3 but won't start filming until 2013 - so expect to see Autumn 2013 i guess??.......

Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld)
Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld)
by Kelley Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love Kelley Armstong!, 19 Jan. 2012
I first read Bitten when it was first published, many moons ago and fell in love with KA's writing and her characters.

I did find myself not that interested with some of her other books outside of the 'otherworld', but i am glad i picked this up.

Savannah (who we first meet in Stolen as a 11/12 yr old 'new witch' is now 21 and a Private Investigator working for Paige and Lucas(again -other characters from earlier books)
and she decides to tackle a PI job on her own (with help from others along the way)

I really enjoyed this book and getting to know Savannah - she is one feisty fab character - very much like Elena in Bitten / Stolen.

As usual with KA books - fantasy / witchcraft etc -but all in a very 'normal' way - nothing makes you think 'oh c'mon' like some fantasy books do.

and of course - the slight bit of romance in the air - makes for a great read.

A great ending as well - - have just ordered Spellbound as cannot wait to find out what happens.

Murder Club
Murder Club
by Mark Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many plots!, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Murder Club (Paperback)
I have read all of MP's Jack Delaney books and this one has left me feeling a bit bored?

I love books with reoccuring characters - Mark Billinghams Thorne is a good example of this - but like another reviewer of this has said - Jack Delaney is just a tad bit far fetched.

& until halfway through this book, its very confusing, too many different sub plots and jumps all over the place.

I can see why the author has done this (it does all come together) but by the end i had lost the plot so to speak and wasn't interested at all in the ending.

Shame as MP writes quite well - but this one, not for me.

Toys
Toys
by James Patterson

2.0 out of 5 stars can't even finish it...., 16 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Toys (Paperback)
Seriously!! how did JP put his name to this! its soooo bad. I started reading about an hour ago - an halfway through -i keep laughing out loud & cannot believe how poorly written this is!

You have no empathy whatsover for any of the characters, & I couldn't care less what happens.

i am always loathed not to finish a book, i got this from the library (thank god i didn't pay for it!) and i might finish it - but please please don't buy!!

Ravensburger Hello Kitty Memory Game
Ravensburger Hello Kitty Memory Game
Offered by Party, Stationery, Toys & Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, 11 Jan. 2012
Bought for my 6 year old niece and she loves it.

A great memory great & for any little girl who likes Hello Kitty - well -whats not to like!!

Great value for money as well from Amazon

It Started With A Kiss
It Started With A Kiss
by Miranda Dickinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me i'm afraid!, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: It Started With A Kiss (Paperback)
My first MD book and i'm afraid my last.

The plot line sounded good - but after the first almost unbelievable chapter, i became really bored with Romilly & her fab-u-lous friends.

You could almost picture all the wedding scenes & thier 'gigs' -which i guess isn't a bad thing, but it all became a bit boring for me.

I didn't hate this book - just felt totally indifferent about it when i finished.

Crossed (Matched)
Crossed (Matched)
by Ally Condie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her first!, 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Crossed (Matched) (Paperback)
I truly loved Matched - prob not aimed at my age group - 30+ !

Matched was such an easy, superb story, sometimes a bit unnerving and towards the end -couldn't put down.

Crossed, I feel, was completeley different.

Each chapeter told from Ky & Cassie's perspectives, which i did enjoy as you get a feeling for the characters, more so than in Matched - but a third of the way through i was so bored! sorry but i was!
Too many bland & bleak descriptions of the places they were ( and i do realise that they were supposed to be bleak)

Towards the end, it picks up slightly -& then the last few chapters a total rush and a mess, i had to re read the last few as thought i had missed something.

Overall, felt very despondent after reading this, as was way off the style & content that was in Matched.

Serial (Frank Quinn Book 6)
Serial (Frank Quinn Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good thriller!, 6 Jan. 2012
I like a good serial killer book and as far as i'm concerened -the more detailed the better!

well worth a read - this is my first JL book and starts very faced paced, lots of characters and some of the murder descriptions - - well, i couldn't eat after one of them!

The only negative to this book - is that i found some of the 'back' stories, were just far too long winded - and towards the end, i as just thinking 'get on with it'.

Also - did not guess who the Skinner was! - very good twist.

The Time of My Life
The Time of My Life
by Cecelia Ahern

5.0 out of 5 stars Cecilia does it again!, 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
I love CA books - they are complete escapism and there's nothing wrong with that in this world!

The Time of My Life is such a simple idea - you get an invite to meet your life - who takes the form of a human being and take it from there what happens in this story.
The characters were very believable and more importantly -likeable.

I read over xmas period and found myself telling anyone who would listen about this fab book. I think this will make a great film.

Lovely lovely lovely!