Profile for Mikey G > Reviews

Content by Mikey G

Mikey G

Page: 1 | 2
Design Go Adaptor Duo Plug Adapter (UK - EU)
Design Go Adaptor Duo Plug Adapter (UK - EU)
Offered by GADGETS4TRAVEL

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for travelling, 10 Jun. 2016
Great for doubling your charging potential. Most hotels tend to skimp on the electrical sockets so this way you can double the number of items you want to charge.
I did find that in sometimes either my UK plugs wouldn't engage fully with the sockets or that the two pin continental plug wouldn't go all the way into the wall. It looked slightly unsafe, but I didn't encounter any problems and it all worked perfectly. Just be aware that it comes with a night light (low greenish light) that is automatically on whenever the plug is in the wall. You're not able to turn this off. All in all a good buy.

Bluetooth Headphones COULAX Bluetooth V4.1 Wireless Sweatproof Running Earbuds Over-Ear Stereo Headset with Mic for iPhone 6s Plus Samsung S7/Galaxy and Android Phone

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Jun. 2016
This was my first pair of Bluetooth headphones and I wanted a cheaper pair to use whilst I was travelling round Europe.
They look and feel cheap. But then they are some of the cheapest ones out there. The connecting wire/strap is made from some kind of memory plastic. The problem with this is that when you put it on round your head it keeps wanting to revert to its standard shape. So I found this uncomfortable.
The controls were fiddly to use on the ear pieces. Although I guess all wireless head phones potentially have this problem too. The sound quality wasn't great either. I also struggled to link the headphones with my iPhone and half the time I would end up playing the music straight out of my iPhone rather than through the headphones.
In the end I left these at home and reverted back to standard wired headphones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2016 11:58 AM BST

RC iPad Air 2 Case, Slim Smart Cover - Ultra Lightweight (iPad Air 2 Case), Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 10 Jun. 2016
I've never owned a proper official Apple product but I can't imagine what else you'd be getting for your money if you were to buy the equivalent branded product.
This cover was exactly as expected. It works with the auto-shutdown if you have that enabled.
The cover doesn't feel luxurious by any means. But it is a hardworking practical case.
Folding the case back to create the stand is great if you want to watch a movie in landscape mode.
I've taken my case and iPad round Europe travelling and not encountered any problems with it. For everyday wear and tear it'll protect your iPad.

Stepping Out
Stepping Out
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Just needs a DVD release to keep her happy!, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Stepping Out (Amazon Video)
Rented this for my Mum. She's loves it.

Just needs a DVD release to keep her happy!

The Best British Short Stories 2014
The Best British Short Stories 2014
by Nicholas Royle

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Dec. 2014
I bought this thinking that I could read one story during my lunch hour at work on my Kindle. I'd recently finished reading all the short story anthologies that I owned by Maragaret Atwood and was tempted to branch out to other authors. This seemed the ideal way of doing this.

I was however very disappointed. The stories are banal and the writing stitled, convaluted and facile. There is nothing in these stories to encourage a reader to engage with them. I found that these became a chore to read and there was no sense of enjoyment. Rather that leaving me wanting more after finishing each story I often couldn't wait for the stories to be over. Why would I choose to read stories the calibre of the following when there is a whole raft of other creative, stimulating stories out there:

"It lay at the end of a long, badly lit second-floor landing, which still smelt of food cooked there in the 1960s: a section of a room - perhaps twelve feet by ten, painted white, accessed from a fire-door with the remains of brokend bolts laced down the inside - so literalistically partioned out of the original Victorian space that the light filtered in from about two-thirds of a bay window".

Disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2016 10:53 AM BST

Sagemcom RTI95320 Freeview + HD Digital TV Recorder 320GB
Sagemcom RTI95320 Freeview + HD Digital TV Recorder 320GB

3.0 out of 5 stars Excelled HD quality - but a few irritating quirks, 10 Sept. 2013
My old PVR broke so I needed to get a replacement.

For the price this ticked all the boxes. Always worth paying a bit more to get HD capabilities these days.

So far it's worked a treat. However be aware that there a few design flaws with the usage that will jar if you've been using another make/brand.

For example it stores your recorded shows in folders named after the show. Handy for having linked recording in one place. Not so handy for instantly seeing what you have watched. Even when going into the folder it still wont show you what has already been viewed.

Secondly it doesn't show what programmes have been set to record if you're not viewing the actual programme on the TV planner screen, you are only made aware of a clash when you try and schedule three programmes. My previous machine set one or two red lines above the TV Guide screen showing if any recordings had been made.

Thirdly when viewing a recorded show you phyiscally have to press the stop button before it allows you to move to another screen. Minor irritation but other machines I've used just allow you to navigate away from the recorded show instantly.

Fourthly the subtitle button isn't as straightforward as putting them on or off, you have to scroll through a number of options via the main menu.

These are only minor quibbles and if you havent used a PVR before you probably won't notice that it's a bit unusual doing this. It also wouldnt stop me buying this again; you just have to be aware that different brands have different operating procedures.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2014 5:55 PM BST

Trinity: Sexy, scandalous, summer reading
Trinity: Sexy, scandalous, summer reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Saucy fun romp, 1 Sept. 2013
Hats off to Nigel for writing a fun sexy romp that makes you wonder, considering the author's showbiz background, how much of this is fact or fiction.

The story has morals too in that bad behaviour doesn't always go unpunished, and that if you're true to yourself and your friends you are in a much stronger position.

It's a fun read so download this and see if you can be enveloped in the world of the Trinity girls that Nigel has so cleverly created.

Love Soup: Series 1 [DVD]
Love Soup: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tamsin Greig
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars An underrated gem, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Love Soup: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this after remembering how much I had enjoyed it when shown on TV.

It's an underrated gem, although beginning to look dated.

Nothing like it on TV at the moment so definitely worth purchasing.

Vivitar Vivicam V46 Digital Camera - Blue (4.1MP, 1.5" Preview Screen, Movie Mode))

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last long enough to form an opinion, 1 Sept. 2013
I bought this as a gift for an 8 year old nephew. I was attracted to how simple and straightforward it appeared to be to use and was also a good price.

After giving it to him within a day it was broken. Still no idea what happened but having had various cameras in the past that have been through bumps and knocks with me and not broken, I was surprised that this was broken so easily.

As it wasn't used I can't rate it's effectiveness except to say it's no particularly sturdy.

I'm Starved for You (Kindle Single) (Positron Book 1)
I'm Starved for You (Kindle Single) (Positron Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Continuing the themes and ideas started in the Oryx and Crake trilogy, 1 Sept. 2013
I like the idea of a serialised story format, just be aware that depending on when you join in with this you may have to wait for the next chapter to be released.

Margaret Atwood continues using dystopian ideas of the future started in the Oryx and Crake trilogy of books (as well as The Handmaiden's Tale) and makes us look at ideas and themes that are relevant to us now.

Her writing style is deceptively easy to read but she manages to convey ideas and the way in which we humans act and think in a much more accessible way that some authors who feel the need to use a thousand words to set a scene.

If you're already a fan of Margaret Atwood then you should have already downloaded this. If not it's a quick easy read as an introduction to her work.

Page: 1 | 2