Profile for Vivienne F > Reviews

Content by Vivienne F

Vivienne F

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Léger Connection (Book 7) (Genevieve Lenard)
The Léger Connection (Book 7) (Genevieve Lenard)

3.0 out of 5 stars Change in narrative voice doesn't work for me, 12 Oct. 2015
So disappointed in this book! I've read all the Genevieve Lenard books, and was totally hooked, so I settled down happily for what I fully expected to be more of the same recipe. All the characters we've come to love are still there, but there's been one catastrophic change to the format... instead of using Genevieve as the narrative voice, so that we can be inside her head, Ms Ryan chooses a 3rd person narrator, from the point of view of Francine, and Genevieve very much takes a back seat. It just doesn't work as well. While we were in Genevieve's head, she explained her unusual behaviours, she explained how she read faces and body language, she explained the way her new feelings were confusing her as well as how the things other people said confused her. It all made sense, and she was an engaging protagonist. In this book, we miss these explanations, and seeing Genevieve simply through the eyes of her friends, she appears awkward and odd and her behaviour is just strange. Without knowing the history,,a new reader would surely wonder why they all revere her so much. Even having read all the previous books, she had suddenly become rather 1 dimensional. I get that Genevieve and Colin take a back seat in this story, so it shouldn't be so important. I get that this is a story where we learn more about some of the other characters. But sorry, I want Genevieve back!! (and phew! it looks like she is back in the next book, so I'm off to buy that)

50 The Golden Jubilee Album
50 The Golden Jubilee Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 8 Dec. 2014
I bought this at their Golden Jubilee concert in Glasgow, which was the best concert I have ever been to. After all these years, I did wonder if they would still have what it takes, and they certainly did. If you closed your eyes, it was like turning back the clock, and this album, which actually contains quite a few tracks I didn't know, is outstanding. Judith Durham still has the voice she had in her twenties, and the group sounds exactly as it used to when I listened to them on the radio as a child. I can't get enough of this uplifting CD. The haunting live recording of 'I am Australian', which has been adopted as an alternative national anthem, gives me goosebumps, and I'm not even Australian!

First4Spares 20ltr Stainless Steel Ash Collection Vacuum Cleaner - 800w
First4Spares 20ltr Stainless Steel Ash Collection Vacuum Cleaner - 800w
Offered by First4Spares

3.0 out of 5 stars It just about does the job, 30 Nov. 2013
Check when you get this that it really is a 1200 watt model, as mine arrived (from a different company) with only 800 watts, and I was told that a 1200 watt model was not available... which is a shame, because it could really use some extra power, which was why I ordered the more powerful model. Having said that, because ash is extremely light, it does more or less manage. But after the first use, the filter clogs, and ideally it should be emptied after each use to restore suction. The filter needs a lot of persuasion to get rid of the dust, and as another reviewer said, only do this outside on a non windy day.
Bottom line - I have got rid of the dust pan beneath my wood burning stove, and use the vacuum cleaner to suck out all the ash and dust. I do not find the short length of the hose is a problem. When it is freshly emptied and the filter shaken free of dust, it readily sucks up ash, bits of coal, nails etc... even without the fine nozzle. So long as you empty it after each use, this seems to continue, and even with the hassle of emptying and cleaning the filter, it is easier and far less messy than collecting the ash and sweeping by hand. I have no idea how other reviewers are managing a whole week without emptying. Although the canister will be far from full, the suction will be pretty hopeless.

Marriage by Mistake
Marriage by Mistake

3.0 out of 5 stars Frothy, lightweight, American chick lit, 27 Sept. 2013
The story's been done a million times before, from Pride and Prejudice through to Pretty Woman, a classic chick lit recipe: rich, handsome, emotionally immature bloke loses his heart to a highly unsuitable but beautiful and worthy woman and battles against his desire. The 2 dimensional caricatures are not especially believable, and the lightweight plot is contrived and flimsy, but as it doesn't suffer from poor grammar, I'll give it extra points. I nearly gave up in the first few chapters because I found the twee American sentiment just too frothy. I have an irrational horror of characters who use 'Excuse me?' as a question, to indicate shock, surprise, outrage, lack of understanding, horror... well, pretty much anything in that sphere... and they do... a lot. Riddled with clichés, absolutely no depth, but I guess that's acceptable in the genre. I can't say I felt particularly enthralled by either Dean or Kelly, but they were both very 'nice'. Everybody (with the exception of Dean's father) is 'nice'. Actually, I was more interested in reformed bad boy Troy and Virgin ice queen Felicia, although that liaison was also one huge cliché. However it was an 'OK' read to pass the time, and I think if a British editor would Anglicise it for the UK market, it would be an acceptably nice little story.

The Holy Woman
The Holy Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful story of love, honour, duty and feminism, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Holy Woman (Kindle Edition)
Every now and then, a book comes along that you can't get out of your head, and once you finish it you need a few book free days to take it all in. This is one such book for me. It transports you into the colourful, exotic world of modern day Pakistan, where ancient customs and traditions are thrown into the blender with encroachments from the Western world. Our heroine, Zarri-Bano is enchanting. Privileged, indulged, highly educated, intelligent, stunningly beautiful, she seems to have it all. In a society where marriages are normally arranged by the parents, she refuses suitor after suitor, finding no man who can meet her high expectations of a husband. Initially there seems to be much condemnation of this patriarchal society, and I feared this would turn out to be little more than a feminist rant against Islam, but it developed into so much more.
When tragedy strikes her wealthy family, Zarri-Bano's life is turned suddenly upside down, as she is obliged by the duty she feels towards her father to obey his will, and adopt a life of religious devotion. This sassy, feisty, modern woman turns her back on the man she has fallen in love with, pulls a Burqa over her head, and immerses herself completely in the ancient role of 'holy woman'. The story charts her struggle to come to terms with the new life she has chosen to lead, and the effect this has on the men who decreed it, and her mother, who abhors it, but feels powerless to resist.
The characters are without exception 3 dimensional and full of life. Both the men and the women are flawed, and we see them all at their worst and at their best. The strong sense of honour and duty that rules their lives is fascinating, as is the important ideal of female modesty, which is totally alien to us in 21st century Britain. This is an outstanding read that really gets you thinking, and despite a complete absence of any overt physical intimacy between the characters, there is a highly charged sexual tension that can knock spots off the very fashionable more explicit works of today.

Maternal Harbor
Maternal Harbor

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story with really strong characters, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Maternal Harbor (Kindle Edition)
Right from the start this book was different in a good way. The pregnant protagonist owns a fresh fish shop, which was a childhood dream, and feels most at home in the company of trawlermen. She has made close female friends only by virtue of her antenatal appointments, but the relationship she shares with them is easy and believable. The clues to the gripping tale that unfolds are planted right from the beginning in this carefully crafted book. Every single character is strong and vividly painted, even the minor ones, to the extent that they could pretty much all have a spin-off story that you would want to read. Our regular insights into the past of the `baddie', through conversations with her dead cat, even allow a certain amount of sympathy for her induced stated of madness. I loved this unique and enthralling book, and couldn't put it down, especially during the final chapters when I was metaphorically on the edge of my seat the whole time! Despite occasional grammatical errors (eg plurals with an apostrophe before the `s'.... agggghhhh! - so easily fixed by a good proof reader, and how come they aren't, since this book is available in paperback?), and annoying American spelling, I'm giving this book 5 stars, because it was such a superb read. Highly recommend it.

Omron M2 Classic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron M2 Classic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 26 May 2013
Doesn't seem any less painful than my last one, but it works fine, and as a bonus stores the readings and checks for irregular heartbeat.

The Divided Child
The Divided Child

3.0 out of 5 stars 1950s style romantic whodunnit, 17 May 2013
This review is from: The Divided Child (Kindle Edition)
I thought the plot was interesting - it was actually quite far on before I guessed who the villain was, and there were lots of twists. The setting was perfect for a summer read, or a read to get you in the summer mood, and grammatically it was good, with few proofing errors, so extra points from me for that! I really enjoyed the Greek flavour which was liberally seasoned with short bursts of spoken Greek - in fact that was my favourite bit! There is some nice, humorous repartee between Christine and Geoffrey. I was definitely caught up in the story, and wanted to know the final outcome... but something wasn't quite right...
The conversations are very formal, the language rather stilted, which makes the characters a bit 2 dimensional. Nine year old Michael talks like he just stepped out of an Enid Blighton story. I thought maybe this is an American author's way of indicating British characters? All the protagonists have old fashioned names that are never abbreviated. The romance is conducted through glances, guesses, and tacit understandings of intention, as they move from antagonism to flirtation in the space of a moment. Communication is via notes, messages passed on by friends and pay phones; policing methods are outdated and lack the modern methods we are so familiar with through TV detective series. I wondered if I had accidentally missed an important heading at the start of the book stating `Corfu - 1953'... and yet the taxis and restaurants were paid in euros, and Christine is a computer consultant...
I have no knowledge of the author's age, but it's as if the book was written 50 odd years ago, and has been updated ever so slightly to make the story more current. In my view, it would have been better just go with the tone, and set the story in a bygone era.
So my advice to other readers wanting to get the most enjoyment from this book would be to imagine that it was written and set in the 50s, and ignore those little anachronisms that bring it into the current century. Do that, and you have a quite pleasant holiday read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 11:00 PM GMT

Loki's Daughters
Loki's Daughters

4.0 out of 5 stars Manly men and wily women. What's not to like?!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Loki's Daughters (Kindle Edition)
A small Cumbrian farming community of Celts, traumatised by previous Viking invasions, is invaded again by new kind of Viking, more interested in making love than war. The women (for no men remain)are led by our feisty heroine Arienh, who is guardian of the calendar and chief apothecary, and also a fierce protector of her partially-sighted sister, Birgit. Bearing in mind that these women have not seen a man for quite some considerable time, and naturally the 'invaders' are strong, muscular, youthful and handsome, and even have a good sense of humour, it is not long before blind hatred transforms into lustful curiosity. This story has enough historical content to make it interesting (and it seems that the author researched her history quite carefully), but at the same time uses modern dialogue to make it a light and accessible read - the constant use of 'Aye' and 'Nay' along with frequent references to kirtles are really the main indications of the era in terms of speech. This was a good recipe for a romantic comedy, with some manly action scenes thrown in for good measure! I found the pranks played by the 2 factions most entertaining, and particularly laughed at the scene where the women's theft of the Vikings' clothes backfires on them! A very readable, lightweight, historical romance with nicely described characters.

Harley Proform Pressure Relief Cushion - Coccyx
Harley Proform Pressure Relief Cushion - Coccyx
Offered by Uk Mobility Store

4.0 out of 5 stars very comfortable, 9 May 2013
The cushion is very comfortable, and doesn't squash to nothing like some cheaper coccyx support cushions, however is is also very large, sometimes too large. Works well on my office chair, but a little large for my kitchen chair and the car.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3