Profile for Hugh Jampton > Reviews

Content by Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton (Turnipshire England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Selfish Gene: 30th Anniversary edition
The Selfish Gene: 30th Anniversary edition
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Arise Sir Richard Dawkins., 5 July 2015
I believe this book was first published in 1976, it is as insightful now as it was then, the understanding that the gene was the driving force behind evolution, not necessarily the individual or the group, looking at evolution from a different perspective, a gene's perspective, as always Dawkins is able to explain with clarity complicated concepts to the layman hence it's enduring appeal, this book also covers the concept of "Memes" a phrase Dawkins coined to compare units of information spreading culturally just as genes spread biologically. An important book that needs to be read by as many people as possible, A seminal work.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2016 9:09 PM BST

Palmistry: From Apprentice to Pro in 24 Hours - The Easiest Palmistry Training Course Ever Written
by Johnny Fincham

2.0 out of 5 stars Talk to the hand !, 4 May 2015
During a recent visit to Mr.Patels ( Indian elder) sell everything, open 24/7 emporium to purchase some Elastoplast, I was distracted as always by my good friend's "new age" bookshelf, a cursory glance and I was attracted to this very title, a quick look left and right I picked the book up and with my Elastoplast I ran quickly to the till and made my transaction I can recal Mr.Patel shouting after me "Hugh, what about your change" ? I must of looked quite strange, I have never purchased a book on "technique" before I felt a bit self conscious, I came home and left the book on my wife's bedside cabinet in the hope that she may thumb through it, a subtle hint to avoid any unnecessary embarrassment, I put it down to her being very house proud, she is often found sweeping around the front of the house, she has quite a grip, and on more than one occasion I have had to reach for the Elastoplast after she has indulged in her "marital duties" I know she means well but she can be a bit over enthusiastic when Mrs.Palm and her five daughters pays me a nocturnal visit, unfortunately book titles can be misleading "never judge a book by its cover" good advise as always from Mr.Patel, he also suggested that I should buy my wife an oven glove, "Put it back on the bookshelf Darren, I'll sell it to Miss Jones she believes in absolutely anything".
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2016 4:40 PM BST

Committed Language
Committed Language

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff!, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Committed Language (MP3 Download)
Stumbled across this yesterday whilst listening to Giles Petersons show on 6Music, captivated me from the start, the track "Mistique" is absolutely wonderful, I found it hard to hear any musical influences, I shall try to resist playing it too often as not to spoil it, thank you Laura, I shall be keeping an ear out for any future releases. Ps it's refreshing to hear a clear female voice without a broken cockney accent, definatley not one of "Amy's babies".

The Moral Landscape
The Moral Landscape
by Sam Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam's the man., 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Moral Landscape (Paperback)
An enlightening and thought provoking read arguing the point that science can improve our quality of life through human values, an important and engaging book that unfortunately I fear will not be read by the people who need to read it. (Good layout, lots of references in the back of the book explaining deeper into certain aspects).

Angel Numbers 101: The Meaning of 111, 123, 444, and Other Number Sequences
Angel Numbers 101: The Meaning of 111, 123, 444, and Other Number Sequences

1.0 out of 5 stars Number two's, 14 Jan. 2015
During my morning visit to Mr.Patels {Indian elder} open 24/7 sell everything corner shop emporium to collect my morning paper, I was distracted {as always} by My friend's "new age book shelf" and was attracted to this fine publication authored by the wonderful scientific mind of Doreen Virtue, a raised eyebrow from Mr.Patel said it all as I paid for my purchase and off I go into the world of numerology. After reading through this book I started noticing numbers everywhere and feeling confident in my new found enlightenment I decide to try my luck in the local bingo hall, oh yes all the numbers are there and they came thick and fast "22 two little ducks", "number 10 Downing street", "88 two fat ladies" and "I will if you will 69", "House" I scream and I win myself £20, happy with my evenings winnings I decided to treat myself to a Chinese takeaway "Evening Hugh what can I get you the usual no.21 and no.7?" "yes please" I reply "two minutes two minutes" "can you actually cook chicken in two minuets Mr.Choi ?" "Yes course I 'can Hugh you sirry iriot", well the truth of the matter was that Mr.Choi couldn't cook chicken properly in two minutes and I spent the rest of the night on the khasi with very runny no.2's. The next morning I found myself back at Mr.Patels to stock up on some Andrex I also returned the ill fated book "put it back on the shelf will you Hugh and I'll sell It to Miss Jones, she believes in absolutely anything". Ps as with all these things it's just a case of apophenia and pareidolia .

The Art of Tea Leaf Reading
The Art of Tea Leaf Reading
by Jane Struthers

1.0 out of 5 stars Should be on the school curriculum., 30 Dec. 2014
During a recent visit to Mr.Patel's [Indian elder] sell everything, open 24/7 corner shop emporium for a packet of tea bags, I was distracted [as always] by a book on Mr.Patels "new age" book shelf, "The art of tea leaf reading". What a coincidence, I thought to myself, and I considered it a good sign. "What are you reading now Hugh" ? enquires Mr.Patel, "Well I thought I'd just give it a go .. you know see what happens" I reply,"Your bloody mad Hugh you know that". Anyway, I go home and try it out and to my surprise I found that I could predict the days events by looking at the arrangements of the detritus of tea left in my cup. I could also do the same with a cup of coffee and the remnants of a bowl of cornflakes. I also noticed that after a shave I could predict the future in my whiskers left in the sink, the dog's food bowl, the crumbs left on my plate after a sandwich and even the marks left in the bottom of the Kharsi . Unfortunately Mrs.J didn't see it the same way and she predicted that I should spend the rest of the day clearing up the mess I'd made. Do people really believe this sort of thing ? Who is sending the messages that you are reading in the bottom of your cup ? who is arranging the tea leaves so it can be read? who discovered that tea leaves predict the future? I take the book back to Mr.Patels and get my money back. "Put it back on the shelf Hugh, I'll sell it to Miss Jones. She'll believe in anything. I wonder if you read your tea leaves in the morning and repeat the process an hour latter would you get the same reading ? A good book for anyone of voting age. Look forward to Jane talking on the TED site soon. Don't let your pareidolia get the better of you !
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2016 12:50 AM BST

The Angel in my Well
The Angel in my Well

5.0 out of 5 stars " Unexpected and enjoyable", 27 Dec. 2014
I have just finished this book and no it's not the usual type of book that I would read in fact it's the antithesis of what I usually read but as the author is a friend and asked for my opinion I felt obliged and what's more I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's not what you think I won't give the story away as not to spoil it for any potential reader but it is very well written a bit shmaltzy in the beginning but the writing changes as the story gets deeper, the chapters on the fundamentalist are very descriptive and gritty. I have never read a book written by someone that I know before but I can read between the lines of this book and I would say that the process was probably quite a cathartic one, Kevin I wish you all the best in any future projects and look forward to your next book.

Spiritual Jazz 5: The World
Spiritual Jazz 5: The World

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for music lovers., 22 Nov. 2014
Whoever compiled this album certainly done their research well, an eclectic mix of global jazz but with a common bond some absolutely wonderful tracks representing the diversity of modern jazz, an absolute must have for music lovers.

The Imitation Game [Blu-ray]
The Imitation Game [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Based on a true story, 15 Nov. 2014
An amazing film portraying the life of Alan Turing and the code breakers of Bletchley Park, a very important man who should of been treated better by the establishment, beautifully shot, very authentic sets and very well acted with a strong cast. This is an important film that will hopefully make people more aware of Alan Turing and his incredible work. Unfortunately some reviewers think this film is not authentic enough even though at the start of the film the words "Based on a true story" are plastered across the screen, to get all the facts right and correct the film would have to be a heavy weight five hour epic and no one would want to watch it.

The Book of Books: The Radical Impact of the King James Bible 1611-2011
The Book of Books: The Radical Impact of the King James Bible 1611-2011
by Melvyn Bragg

5.0 out of 5 stars Written to be Read., 29 Oct. 2014
Interesting account of how a determined driven man by the name of William Tyndal risked his life by attempting and successfully {to a certain extent} translating the Bible from Latin to English, this was just the start of a dangerous campaign to bring the word of God to the masses so ordinary people like "the plough boy" could understand it's teachings, unfortunately W .Tyndal was hunted down, sent to trial, imprisoned and executed however his translations were used some years latter in the officially translated KJV . This is not a book about Christianity but about the impact the KJV had on the English speaking world, it's contribution to our language our laws and our culture it's importance in instigating our education system and its use in our legal system. Whether or not you feel religion is a force for good or not the KJV educated the masses it was open to debate and interpretation in a period of our history where we had no other guide this shaped the society and culture we live in today. Fascinating that a book consisting of scientific improbabilities has become so widespread and influential. Ps Melvyn Bragg and the BBC made an excellent documentary of this story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14