Profile for Jane > Reviews

Jane

TRAGIC: Rook and Ronin, #1
TRAGIC: Rook and Ronin, #1

4.0 out of 5 stars There is something special about this book, 18 Aug. 2013
There is something about this book that just made me love it, which is odd because it does not contain any of the heavy-hitting elements that normally make me love a book. I think what really sold me on something that it is not normally to my taste is that the writing is very strong. JA Huss is a very talented author that drew me in with her characters, story, and clever writing.

I'm usually reserve the higher star ratings for the books that twist my gut all over the place, but this book has stayed with me over the few weeks since I read it. I recommend it for anyone who wants a solid read with a variety of well-developed characters and a bit of odd romance and drama. It may not be a tear-jerker or a wild ride, but something about it gets under your skin and makes you need more.

Private Arrangements
Private Arrangements
by Sherry Thomas
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A crazy premise, a fun read, 17 Aug. 2013
The book jumps out of the starting gate with a crazy premise! Very original. For that alone I give it major points. I like that one of the love interested was not the most handsome of men, however it would have been nice to see his be stronger in other ways. I felt like he was a throwaway, which is too bad because a little tension would have added nicely. The side story felt like filler.

If I didn't see the end coming a million miles away, it would have been amazingly better. Sherry Tomas has a great writing style and made me enjoy a historical romance, which is really not my thing. I will likely read more by her, even though this is not my genre.

Falling Into You
Falling Into You
by Jasinda Wilder

2.0 out of 5 stars A whole lot of telling and writing that lacks creativity, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Falling Into You (Paperback)
I had so many issues with this book that it was really hard to finish. Frankly, it is very poorly written. It starts off with telling us a bunch of back story, then we are shown some present. Then more telling. Then more showing. So many information dumps!

A huge amount of the sentences begin with the word "I." On one page, 6 out of 8 paragraphs did that. Then I hit a paragraph where 4 out of 7 sentences did it. A sad lack of creativity.

Clearly this book is formula based. It was clearly written to grab an audience and make them swoon. Sadly, it did not capture my heart in the least as I was too busy being told and not shown what I need to bring forth emotion.

Collector (A Dante Walker Novel)
Collector (A Dante Walker Novel)
by Victoria Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, that is, until near the end, 17 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed this book, yet I had several issues with it.

I liked the main character. Honestly, when I started reading I thought he would get on my nerves, yet he held sold and grew on me a little.

While the writing is mostly good, far too many sentences begin with the words And or But. We all know this is a grammatical no-no, yet this author, and her editor, ignored that rule. In all seriousness, you cannot get through a few paragraphs without it happening. The story is told in the first person, present, yet the author avoided the over use of the word "I." Major bonus points for the creativity.

The book very very detailed. By that I mean that clues were given to the characters mind state (show) and then we were told his thoughts for reinforcement. This made the story far too long and it got rather tedious.

The last 10% of the book seemed to go off kilter. I held on, even though it was wordy, but the end went off into left field. Suddenly I was smacked with characters I thought I was supposed to now but they were actually new. The story then took a very unrealistic turn and basically all worked out, as if by magic. I was very disappointed in this, and now I question if I will read the sequel. I likely will though, as I really did enjoy the book.

Cry Little Sister
Cry Little Sister

3.0 out of 5 stars the author tried but imagination is lacking, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Cry Little Sister (Kindle Edition)
This is yet another piece of erotica where the author taunts you with the "sibling thing" in a very annoying way. I don't think there was a single scene where the characters were not yammering about their potential blood relationship. I get that the question of it is part of the storyline, but it was like being repeatedly punched in the face with it. Add into it that, although we are told they are in love, there is really nothing that sells us on the romance, so it falls flat.

I would like to point out that the writing was good, and there is indeed a story here. The author took time to think things through. Because I felt repeatedly punched I almost gave this two stars, but I want to be fair to the author. Some small changes, like removing MANY of the sibling references, would have made the story so much better. Also, the male character is a lot like a lesser privileged Christian Grey, so I felt there was no imagination there.

Stolen (0)
Stolen (0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile read, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Stolen (0) (Kindle Edition)
I love the concept of this book: Seeing the world through the eyes of a kidnap victim.

The book is YA, but I kept forgetting that because the girl felt somewhat ageless. If I did not think of her as being a teenager, I would have placed her in her mid 20's, which is fine. It did not take away from the story for me.

The main character does not have much personality, so the I was not engaged by her. The story was wordy, so I skimmed a lot. Never once did I truly feel this character was scared.

I didn't call every twist and turn like I normally do, so the story felt very original. I had mixed feelings on the end, but I also thought it was very appropriate. I just wish it had been written a bit stronger. It did not end like I expected, for which I am incredibly happy. I hope to see more from this author.

Had it been less wordy and more intense, it would be a five star book, hands down.