Profile for R. Humphreys > Reviews

Rick Stein's India
Rick Stein's India
by Rick Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent authentic recipes..., 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's India (Hardcover)
It astonishes me that some of the (few) negative reviews are concerned with the fact that these recipes are NOT reminiscent of an English curry house! That is surely the entire point of this book and the brilliant series that accompanied it!

There are a few recipes which have not been to our taste, but I would rather experience the reality than an Anglo-Bangladeshi hybrid, as most of our 'curry' houses are!

I strongly recommend this book. I have spent many years searching for great Indian recipes and this has dozens of them. The thoran is particularly good, as is his take on rassam. Another smash hit Rick, well done!

Running Like a Girl
Running Like a Girl
by Alexandra Heminsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
I can't remember the last time I finished a book this quickly. As a runner (or at least a half marathon runner) this book captured so much of what I feel about my hobby/jail sentence.

Her honest and frank experiences have inspired me to take the next step...Berlin marathon next year...maybe?

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant shoes, 12 Nov. 2012
Super lightweight, very comfortable and great value. They provide excellent light support and are very quick to dry.

Cannot recommend enough!

Trixie Minou Cushy and Cuddly Cave, 41 x30 x50 cm, Beige/ Brown
Trixie Minou Cushy and Cuddly Cave, 41 x30 x50 cm, Beige/ Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but now I miss my cat!, 26 Dec. 2009
We purchased this for our 7 month old kitten for Christmas. She adores it! The moveable cushion inside it is so soft and plush! The only down point is that Sushi now doesn't ever want to leave her little house! So I get less cat cuddles, but at least she is very happy!

The Book of the Dead: Hieroglyphic Transcript and Translation into English of the Papyrus of Ani
by Sir E a Wallis Budge

2.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty Book, but don't be fooled, 11 Oct. 2006
I have to admit, as a student of Egyptology i purchased this gorgeous looking book in my first year thinking it to be a safe purchase and good addition to my collection. Sadly i was wrong.
If you are a student of hieroglyphics, it retains some value as all text appears in both translation and original glyph form. However, the translation conventions it uses are extremely outdated, not to mention over complex.
Sadly, as impressive as this may look on your bookshelf or as interesting as it may be to the average enthusiast, those truly interested in The Book Of The Dead should refer to R. Faulkners [...]