Profile for Mr. S. Lewis > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Lewis

Mr. S. Lewis (Saltash, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition
Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars One of THOSE albums..., 19 Jan. 2009
This is one of those albums that, whether you like it or not, you have to own. It was the first album from the world famous Mk II Deep Purple. While I personally do not think it's one of the world's best albums, there is no doubt on the influence it had on countless other bands, hence why I gave it 5 stars. Anyway, time for a track by track run through:

Speed King - This first track in which the world is introduced to Ian Gillan, argueably one of the greatest rock vocalists ever. It is one of the better songs on the album with a great, up beat tempo and fantastic vocals. 8/10

Bloodsucker - This song features a great riff from Ritchie Blackmore and screams from Ian Gillan. This is a strong song that really shows why Deep Purple where one of the most influencial hard rock bands. 8/10

Child in Time - In my opinion, this is one of the best songs ever written. Every part of this song is perfect and would have really had a huge influence on the upcoming progressive rock genre. The vocals are great, the organ is fantastic and the guitar solo is one of Blackmore's best. 10/10

Flight of the Rat - I'm not really a huge fan of this song as I find that it drags on far too much. However, it shows a rock 'n' roll side of Deep Purple. However it has some good guitar and drum work towards the end. 6/10

Into the Fire - This song has a quite a slow and grinding riff that, for the time, would have been considered very heavy. This song sort of sounds like an early Black Sabbath song but with the Purple edge. It has a great chorus and nice keyboards. 8/10

Living Wreck - Some nice echoy drums kick this song off, quickly followed by a standard Blackmore riff. It's nothing special but it's not a bad song at all. 7/10

Hard Lovin' Man - This song starts off with a funky bassline and some really weird sounding keyboards. This is another quite long song and is nothing really that special. 7/10

Black Night - Actually, this would have been most people's introduction to Ian Gillan as this was a non-album single relased before the album. However, on this remastered version we get the song. It's one of those great Purple classics, along with Smoke on the Water and Burn. It's just a great rock song. 9/10

Overall, while this is no-where near to being one of my favourite albums, it's one of those timeless classics that rock fans must own.

Nightwish - End of An Era [DVD + 2cd]
Nightwish - End of An Era [DVD + 2cd]

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best live DVD ever...!, 2 Jan. 2009
I think that in my review for Marillion's 'Recital of the Script' DVD, I said that I thought that was the best live DVD ever. Well, I'm taking that back because I now think that this is!

The sound is fantastic, the picture is fantastic and the songs are fantastic, what more could you want? I think for me the highlight has to be the version of Ghosts Love Score and the beautiful cover of Pink Floyd's High Hopes.

The whole band are one form, especially Tarja and I always wonder, 'Did she know that this would be her last concert with Nightwish?' as about an hour after this gig, she was fired by Tuomas and the guys.

Anyways, well worth the money, I've not listened to the CDs yet but I know what I'm getting, and it will be awesome!!!

FULL MOON COLLECTION
FULL MOON COLLECTION

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money paid, 19 Dec. 2008
This review is from: FULL MOON COLLECTION (Audio CD)
I bought this collection because of one man, Doug Aldrich. He is one of my favourite guitarists and when I saw this 3CD collection of one of his former bands, I jumped at the chance to buy it. It contains all of Bad Moon Rising's 3 albums in their entirety with added bonus tracks which brings the total to 37 tracks. Each album is sightly different but they are all pretty good hard rock albums with memorable riffs and sing-a-long choruses. Because of the sheer volume of songs I will not do a track by track run through but I will talk about each album as a whole:

Bad Moon Rising - Their debut album and features a guest bassist and drummer. It has quite a raw sound and is pretty heavy. Kal Swan's voice is good and compliments Doug's guitar playing very well. I would give it 7/10 with m favourite song being Dark Side of Babylon.

Blood - Has a similar sound to the debut album but sounds a lot more polished and is probably a better overall album. This album was the first with the full band. I would give it 8/10 with my favourite song being Blood on the Streets.

Opium for the Masses - This is much more modern sounding album with less solos and more grinding riffs. I must say I didn't really know if I would like it or not but I actually did quite enjoy it. I would give it 7/10 with my favourite song being Belligerant Stance.

Overall, this is a pretty good collection of a long forgotten band. You get three full albums for just under £12 which, in my opinion, has to be a good deal in anyone's books. However, it wasn't really what I was expecting which Doug Aldrich on the guitar. If you like his work I would be quicker to recomend either Dio's 'Killing the Dragon' album or Whitesnake's 'Good to be Bad' as I think they showcase his playing much better than these.

Karmacode
Karmacode

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid album., 4 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Karmacode (Audio CD)
I recently saw Lacuna Coil supporting Bullet for my Valentine and they were fantastic. I had not really been looking forward to them because the stuff I had heard from their first two albums, I didn't really like. However, I really liked the live songs and later learned that they were mostly all from this album. I bought and really enjoyed listening to it. Anyway I will now do a track by track run through:

Fragile - A good start to the album. The riff is memorable and the vocals by Andrea Ferro are powerful and singable. There are also some great vocal harmonies between him and Cristina Scabbia. 8/10

To The Edge - Another strong track and I think this one was used to open their set when I saw them. It's a very strong, powerful song with great vocals and guitar work. 8/10

Our Truth - After a rather lame and pointless intro, this song kicks off with some major riffing and chants from Cristina. Her vocals on this track are very good and to be honest, this is probably my favourite song on the album. 9/10

Within Me - This song is quite a contrast to the songs gone previously. It utilises acoustic guitars and lots of keyboard to produce quite a nice ballad-style song. 7/10

Devoted - This sounds extremely down-tuned which it makes it seem really heavy. The interwoven keyboards and synths are rather interesting and complement the vocals well. 7/10

You Create - A short instrumental piece. Basically an intro to the next track. 6/10

What I See - Some great dumming starts of this song where the instrumental left off. This song is sung more of a duet rather than with lots of harmonies which I think is quite effective. Great Chorus 8/10

Fragments of Faith - Another Andrea-led song. This song is ok but nothing I really would consider 'special'. It's not particularly memorable. 6/10

Closer - Funky synths? Yeah, this song does have a weird intro, but it turns into a rather good song. The chorus is catchy as hell and it's a real pop song. I think it was quite a big single. 8/10

In Visible Light - I think that this song is fairly boring and doesn't really have anything to it except a grinding riff. There's no real depth but not bad. 6/10

The Game - Another relatively poppy song with some cool keyboards and hooks. 7/10

Without Fear - A rather slow and quiet song with some nice vocals. Nothing special though. 6/10

Enjoy the Silence - This is a cover of a Depeche Mode song and I must say, I really like it. I haven't heard the original so I can't compare but I like this very much. 8/10

This is pretty strong album with some good tracks. Well worth a listen.

Chinese Democracy
Chinese Democracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait and the money, 26 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Chinese Democracy (Audio CD)
Wind the clock back and we see Axl Rose starting to think about the next akbum for his band Guns N' Roses. He decided to call this album 'Chinese Democracy'. 14 years on and many line-up changes later, this album was finally released but was it worth the wait? You bet it was! This album is fantastic with clever, catchy songs that modernise the classic GN'R sound and encorperating many new and exciting elements to an already established band. The sad thing is however, that many people will hate this album on principle because they'll think 'It's not Slash, therefore it's gonna be rubbish'. This album needs to be listened to with and open mind or else you won't enjoy it. Don't go in expecting another Appetite, 'cos you'll end up hating this new album. Anyway, time for the classic track by track run though:

Chinese Democracy - The album kicks off with it's title track, and what a track this is. To be honest, this is probably the track that sounds most like old GN'R. It's heavy, has a monster riff and killer Axl vocals. Wonderful song. 9/10

Shackler's Revenge - Another heavy song, but this time it's very industrial sounding. It's probably worth noting at this point that there are actually 5 guitarist on this album; current axe-men Robin Finck, Ron Thal and Richard Fortus plus ex-guitarists Brian Carroll (Buckethead) and Paul Tobias, whose parts were left on the album in full. This is one of the Buckethead written songs and features a monster solo from him. 8/10

Better - Many GN'R fans will 'look twice' when this song starts as it's a heavy synth song with some nice vocals and backing vocals. It's the only song on the album that was co-written by Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck. It's a good song but takes a few listens to get into. 8/10

Street of Dreams - This is my favourite song on the album. It's a piano ballad a bit like 'November Rain' but only half the length. It's beautiful song that really shows of Axl's voice and pianist/keyboardist Dizzy Reed's skills. Those of you who downloaded any leaks will recognise this but it used to be called 'The Blue'. Fantastic song. 10/10

If The World - For me, this is probably one of the weakest tracks on the album. I'm not saying it's horrible, I just don't really like it that much. It features some helium-like vocals from Axl and some really weird panning guitar work that kinda spins you out. 6/10

There Was a Time - This is a grower. It starts off quite industrial but then turns into a fully fledged rocker with a good solo and sing-along choruses. 8/10

Catcher in the Rye - Another piano song but also with some awesome guitar work. It's sung very well and the structure and the way the song flows is fantastic. 8/10

Scraped - The shortest song on the album at 3:31. This is another Buckethead. It's an ok song but not one of the best. It's a pretty straight forward rocker. 7/10

Riad N' the Bedouins - This is another fairly standard rocker with some good vocals and riffs. The solo is also pretty good but overall it's nothing really special. 7/10

Sorry - This song features ex-Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach on backing vocals and is the last of the Buckethead compisitions. It's a very slow song with lots of keyboards and vocals. Dispite it's sombre sound, it's actually a beautiful song with lots of different parts. It also has a fantastic guitar solo. A real grower. 9/10

I.R.S. - This is another rocker! Lots of heavy guitar work and drumming. This is one of the few songs on the album that's not reliant on a lot of synth to drive it along. A fairly average song. 6/10

Madagascar - It starts off with some sombre strings and features a rather subdued sounding Axl singing some rather 'down' lyrics. This song has lots of guitar breaks and the great speech section in the middle. Old GN'R fans will remember some of the parts as they were used in 'Civil War'. 8/10

This I Love - This is another fantastic piano ballad. One of the best songs on the album in my opinion. They lyrics are good for Axl and the strings and piano are excellent. Also, it's the only song on the album solely written by Axl. 9/10

Prostitute - We get to the final track on the album. It's not as good as some of the other songs that have gone past and is not a great choice of a song to end the album. But, to be honest, no GN'R album has ever really ended strongly. It's a good song but it's kinda standard. However, I probably think this is not as good because of the sheer awesomeness of many of the other songs. 7/10

So, as you can see, I really love this album. It just gets so much better with every listen and I think that soon I will love even the songs I'm not big on at the moment. I think this is probably the biggest album of the decade so far and will become much more popular when all the haters see sense and check it out. Well worth your money!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2008 10:28 PM GMT

Argus
Argus

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the classic rock albums., 25 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Argus (Audio CD)
I bought this album after reading many good reviews about it. Many people have also told me that it is one of the defining albums of classic rock and helped to influence many bands, especially Thin Lizzy who expanded on the sound Wishbone Ash created. Anyway, time for a track run though:

Time Was - The longest song (9:42) opens the album with some nice clean guitar and peaceful vocal harmonies. Then the song begins to pick up with the introduction of some drums and bass guitar. It still makes you feel at peace though and is a very ncie song. It also contains a nice guitar solo. 7/10

Sometime World - This song begins with some nice vocals and some really tuneful acoustic guitar. Not long into the song, the classic Wishbone Ash guitar sound is aired and makes the song so much more 'full' and classic sounding. 7/10

Blowin' Free - This is an up-beat song that features yet more fantastic vocals and guitar work from Andy Powell and Ted Turner. The middle break down part with the guitar solo is absolutely wodnerful. 8/10

The King Will Come - This song has possibly one of the best guitar intros and riffs in any rock song. It's played so wonderfully and drenched in effects it really sounds different to anything else. This I think is the best song on the album and just a classic tune overall. 9/10

Leaf and Stream - This song is the shortest song on the album (4:06) and presents a nice, peaceful song with some lovely dual guitar parts and tuneful bass. It just flows nicely like a leaf floating down a stream, hence what the title suggests. 7/10

Warrior - This opens with some slightly distored guitar when some powerful drumming and fluid solo kick in. This is one of the more rocky tracks on the album. Even though it often desends into the proggy break downs with awesome guitar lines. 7/10

Throw Down the Sword - This song builds up from a very quiet sounding riff that then develops into a fantastic guitar solo and some great harmonised vocals. Along with 'The King Will Come' this is one of the best tracks on the album. It's just beautiful. 9/10

Overall, this is great album. On their own however, some of the songs are not so great, but when played as part of the album. They are all classics.

Bullet For My Valentine: The Poison - Live At Brixton [DVD]
Bullet For My Valentine: The Poison - Live At Brixton [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bullet for My Valentine

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic live DVD, 22 Nov. 2008
I recently saw Bullet for my Valentine live and was blown away by their stage presence and live performances of many of their songs. Because of this, I decided to buy this DVD so that I could watch one of their live concerts again and again. I had no doubts that this would be a great DVD and I was very pleased when I watched it. All the songs are performed perfectly and the setlist is wonderful. I think out of all the tracks, that this performance of 'Hand of Blood' is my favourite song on the DVD. One thing must say though is that the lighting used in the show is a bit bright and can sometimes obscure what you can see on the screen. However, this is only a minor thing as it only happens on a couple of occations.

I have not watched the bonus features yet but, to be honest, I didn't buy the DVD for them. If they're good, it'll make this DVD already better than it is.

Operation: Mindcrime II
Operation: Mindcrime II
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album, but not as good as Operation: Mindcrime..., 13 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Operation: Mindcrime II (Audio CD)
Recently, I discovered Queensryche. I bought their greatest hits based on the strengh of 'I Don't Believe in Love' and was reasonably impressed. However, then I decided to listen to 'Operation: Mindcrime' and was blown away by the sheer brilliance of the music and the story. After listening to it a few times, I decided to buy the sequel. I had read mixed reviews about it but most said that it was a good album but was not as good as the first one. I think that this is a view that I also share. It is a good album but does not come to the quality of the first. Anyway, time for a track by track run through:

Freiheit Overture - Starts off with some haunting keyboards/SFX and bass guitar. It is a good opener but not as good as the first couple of tracks on 'Operation: Mindcrime'. 5/10

Convict - A 9 second bit of dialogue. Not really reviewable. 5/10

I'm American - This song starts off with some good guitar work and builds up very well. It is a very fast and short song almost 'rapped' by Geoff Tate. It has a shout-along chorus and is a good opener. 7/10

One Foot in Hell - This song starts directly from the end of the previous one but isn't really that brilliant. It's not a bad song but it would have not graced 'O:M'. 6/10

Hostage - Starts off sounding quite industrial with the sound of a motorbike and then goes into a reasonably good tune with some nice acoustic guitars with the electrics. 7/10

The Hands - This song features Miranda Tate on backing vocals who I assume is some relation of lead singer Geoff Tate. This was the first single of the album and a good song it is. It sounds like an old 'O:M' track and is actually very good. 8/10

Speed of Light - Another quite short song with some crunchy sounding guitars and some strained sounding vocals from Tate. As much as I love him, I think he sounds quite poor on this track. Also, from now on, Pamela Moore appears here and there singing lines for 'Sister Mary'. 6/10

Signs Say Go - A reasonalby thrashy song that gets you pumped up. It's quite industrial sounding but it kinda works here. 7/10

Re-Arrange You - This song starts with some haunting orchestration and some good vocals from Tate. The orchestra continues to play throughout and is very effective in widening the sound of the track. 7/10

The Chase - This is my favourite song on the album. It features the great Ronnie James Dio performing the vocal parts of 'Dr. X' and does a great duet with Tate. Two of the best metal singers on one track. What more could you ask for. 10/10

Murderer? - Starts of with some rather haunting clean guitar with some synths and then starts to pick up. This is another industrial sounding one but I don't really like it here. It sounds too Lloyd Webberish with the lyrics and the say it's sung. 6/10

Circles - Another short song. It's kinda said rather than sung, a bit like 'Empty Room' on 'O:M'. 6/10

If I Could Change it All - Queensryche's attempt at a power ballad. It's a nice song but nothing really special. The vocals are also quite low in the mix sometimes which is qute annoying. 6/10

An International Confrontation - This is a very dramatic 'conversation' had between Nikki and Sister Mary although if you follow the story, you realise he can't be having it. It's a very good and angry song. 7/10

A Junkie's Blues - This song has a great opening riff and sounds like it could have come from 'O:M'. Then it goes into just some clean guitar along with Tate's voice and some really lame backing vocals. Not a bad song though. 7/10

Fear City Slide - This then links into a beating heart and the sound of breathing. The vocals sound very echoey at the beginning with both Tate and Moore singing. Then it goes into a 'normal' Queensryche song with some good lyical ideas and choruses. 7/10

All The Promises - The final track on the album. It kinda leaves you wondering even though the story has been nicely wrapped up. It's quite a spooky song with some good vocals and guitar work. Nice end to a good album. 8/10

Overall, this is a good album and it definatley grows on you. However, try not to compare it to 'Operation: Mindcrime' as that is much more superior but this is worth listening to even if it's just to finish off the story.

Perpetual Flame
Perpetual Flame
Offered by groove_temple

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...but not as good as it could have been!, 4 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Perpetual Flame (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to this album for one reason. That was that it had Tim 'Ripper' Owens on lead vocals. He is one of my favourite modern singers and I thought that this combination (The Ripper/Malmsteen) would have just been awesome. On the whole, this is a good album with many good songs but the production and mixing is quite bad. The guitar is way to loud in places and completely masks The Ripper's fanastic voice. They just just shouldn't let Yngwie mix or produce albums, he does it all wrong. Anyway, time for a track by track run through:

Death Dealer - This songs starts off very fast and is a good intro to the album. The piercing scream of The Ripper sets the scene for the album but then his actual vocals are quite masked and the whole track seems quite muddy, it has a good solo though. 8/10

Damnation Game - The beginning riff for this song sounds a bit like 'I'll See the Light Tonight' but this song then turns out to be quite different to that song. In my opinion, this is one of the strongest songs on the album and is not mixed to badly, well, not compared to some of the others atleast. 9/10

Live to Fight (Another Day) - This one starts off with a nice classical sounding riff and then turns into a quite slowish 'chugging' song. It's pretty heavy and features good vocals from Tim. 7/10

Red Devil - This, along with 'Damnation Game' are my two favourite songs from the album. This is a powerful metal song with great pearcing vocals and good guitars. 9/10

Four Horsemen (of the Apocalypse) - This song is not bad, but nothing really special. The Ripper's vocals are actually quite annoying on this song. 6/10

Priest of the Unholy - After the rather cheesey keyboard intro, this song goes into another slow paced heavy song. It has some good vocal parts but is generally quite boring. 6/10

Be Careful What You Wish For - This is another quite good song with good vocals and a good guitar riff. It also has very powerful and fast drums. 7/10

Caprici Di Diablo - This is the first insturmental song on the album. It's not a bad one but sounds like all the other of Malmsteen's instrumentals. The guitarplaying is superb though. 8/10

Lament - Another instrumental track. Just sounds like a slower verision of Caprici Di Diablo to be honest. 7/10

Magic City - This song features Yngwie on vocals. I don't know why he always trys to sing as he's really not very good at all. Atleast he highers singers for 90% of his songs. It's not a bad song though to be fair, quite bluesy. 7/10

Eleventh Hour - This is the longest song on the album at 8:03 and is another quite slowish song. It has some great vocals by Tim Owens and some haunting keyboards during the riffs. 7/10

Heavy Heart - The final track on the album is another longish instrumental. Good but nothing special and a bit boring. 6/10

Overall, it's not a bad album but I just feel it could have been so much better.

DARK ANGEL
DARK ANGEL

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to a great band., 15 Oct. 2008
This review is from: DARK ANGEL (Audio CD)
I first heard The Reasoning in the summer at the Cambridge Rock Festival where I didn't know whether I enjoyed their set or not. I decided that you probably have to know the songs to fully appreciate them so I decided to buy Dark Angel when it came out because the songs they played from it at the Festival were probably my favourite ones. This is a fantastically dark album with lots of great, heavy riffs and haunting yet uplifting keyboards. This is the first album with new guitarist Owain Roberts and his 'metal' influence is definatley on this album even though he did not contribute to nay of the songs. Here is a track by track run through:

Dark Angel - The title track of the album starts of with a lengthy intro with lots of nice guitar work. When Rachel Cohen's voice starts you know that this track is going to be a winner. One of the best album intros that I can think of. 9/10

Sharp Sea - After a very calming start with noices of waves and atmospheric keyboards, a grinding riffs begins that makes this quite a heavy yet relaxing song. The lyrics are good and the way it is sung is excellent. 8/10

How Far to Fall - This is a very nice peaceful song. Not as powerful as te opening two in my opinion but not a bad song by any stretch. 7/10

Serenity - A short-ish instrumental that acts as a kind of intro for the next track, it's nice but nothing special. 6/10

Call Me God? - This song starts with quite dark keyboards and then turns out to be the heaviest and, in my opinion, the best track on the album. It makes use of the three singers to great effect and has grea vocals. It also has double-bass pedals which I like. 10/10

In the Future - Another fairly calm song greatly sung chiefly by Dylan Thompson. Quite a powerful song, but not as good as some of the others on the album. Has a great guitar solo though. 7/10

Absolute Zero - Another 'nice' song but nothing really that special. Quite short too by their standards. 6/10

Breaking the 4th Wall - Another fantastic song with great vocal interchanges between Rachel Cohen and Gareth Jones. This is probably the most beautiful song on the album. 9/10

A Musing Dream - This is longest track on the album at 9:13 this really summarises all the ideas on the album really well and makes for a fantastic, if not slightly abbrupt ending. 9/10

As I have not yet heard 'Awakening', I cannot say how this compares to it but I know that by listening to this album, I KNOW that this is a winner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4