Profile for Alban > Reviews

Alban

Trekmates Absorba Balls - Multi-Colour, One Size
Trekmates Absorba Balls - Multi-Colour, One Size

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't work, 2 Oct. 2015
Not sure what they're for. Juggling perhaps, but not drying anything! I washed out my hiking boots, dried them out with paper towels leaving them a bit damp. I put the Absorba Balls in and three days later they were still damp. Would not recommend buying them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2017 10:26 PM GMT

WD 2TB  My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBCTL0020HWT-EESN
WD 2TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBCTL0020HWT-EESN

1.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works, shame it doesn't work that often., 7 Jan. 2014
Other than a few issues with it not copying all files across from an external hard drive (resulting in empty folders), the device is easy to set up out of the box and does everything I want it too, when it's working.

The biggest issue (and hence the one star) as mentioned in other reviews is that it keeps dropping off the network. It will sit there with the blue light on the front and network lights flashing on the back like there's nothing wrong, but the shares won't be accessible from any device (iPhone, iPad or Mac). The only way to make it accessible again is to unplug it and plug it back in, but sometimes even this doesn't work and I have to power cycle my router and hub as well. Over the first couple of days this problem happened only overnight, now it seems to do it any time of day.

If you take a look at the WD Community forums (not run by WD but linked to from their website) this problem has been going on for ages and has affected a lot of people. There are a number of suggested fixes all of which I have tried with no success, including the sure fire fix (suggested by WD in response to other Amazon reviews) of setting a static IP address on the My Cloud and activating port forwarding on the My Cloud and router. Despite the length of time this issue has been about (since launch) WD have not come up with a consistent fix (I've updated my firmware with the latest version).

As for support from WD, the hours their phone lines are open are limited and only available whilst I'm at work, which means I would need to take time off to be at home to guarantee the device is accessible when I call them. I've tried to email their support, but can't register on their site for some reason.

I've got a very basic home network based around a BT home hub and if My Cloud has problems on such a basic network, then I think WD are going to struggle to sell this once more and more bad reviews come in.

If you are thinking of buying this take a look through the WD Community forums (not run by WD) and the reviews on US Amazon to see if you want to take the risk on this device. It may be everything you want or be a complete frustration and waste of time. After 5 days of frustration I'm about to put it back in the box and send it back.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2014 7:38 AM GMT