Profile for Mary-The Sweet Bookshelf > Reviews

Content by Mary-The Sweet...

Mary-The Sweet Bookshelf (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Love Lies
Love Lies

3.0 out of 5 stars great british book, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Love Lies (Kindle Edition)
I got right into this book with no problem. It's easy to read, and easy to get started. It's not what I'd pictured this book to be. Nor what I'd consider a GREAT piece of chic-lit. I don't like stories where the girl leaves the guy for someone else, then tries to go back to the guy she left in the first place. Maybe it's just me being old fashioned or just upset that a girl could do that!! It was an easy read though. Not bad, but not good either...just OK. It is a VERY British book. If I read this 2 years ago then I wouldn't have understood it....there is a bunch of British slang.

Princess Academy
Princess Academy

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Girls Dream!!, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Princess Academy (Kindle Edition)
LOVED this book! Who wouldn't want to go to a Princess Academy and learn how to be a princess in hopes of catching the Princes attention?! That's every girls dream! I love Shannon Hale, she is a great author of fairy tales with a twist. This book does not disappoint. It will capture adults as well as YA. You must read Princess Academy!

Twenties Girl
Twenties Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud!, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Twenties Girl (Kindle Edition)
Another GREAT read by Sophie Kinsella! Not like her usual hysterical comedy chic-lit, but GREAT just the same. I loved the references to the 1920's, and the old clothes, dances, and slang! What a hoot Daddy 'O! Sophie always has a great little romance for us, with a dashing good looking man. Just what I'm after! You won't be disappointed.

Book of a Thousand Days
Book of a Thousand Days

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Shannon Hale!, 12 Aug. 2011
I enjoyed this book immensely. I am a lover of fairy tale's, and this one does not disappoint. I loved how the book is written as a journal by Dashti. What a unique way to tell a story. There were plenty of exciting, sad, heroic, and romantic moments to keep this book going. I love Shannon Hale's writing style, and if you've not picked up one of her books yet..You should start with this one! I know you'll love it!

Eat Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
Eat Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 12 Aug. 2011
My mom and I read this book together a few years ago, and we really enjoyed it. We saw it on Oprah, and all these women were talking about how it changed their lives. I needed this book to do that for me. Eat Pray Love is one woman's journey to finding herself and what her life is about. I really identified with that at the time. I think it's time to re-read this. I believe we should always be changing and getting better. This book helps you on that quest. It is a true story, and one for those who are looking for themselves. I recommend it to all.

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Other Boleyn Girl
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars Super!, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this historical novel about the Boleyns. Philippa has a PhD from Edinburgh University in History! You know she knows her facts, and she turns them into a flowing story of what history this family has to tell. This story has shaped every single one of our lives. If you don't know why, I suggest reading the book and learn how Anne Boleyn's marriage to King Henry VIII shaped history.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2013 12:33 AM BST

Late Night Shopping: (Annie Valentine Book 2)
Late Night Shopping: (Annie Valentine Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 12 Aug. 2011
What a fun little book! If you love shopping then this is your kind of book. It's all about couture!
It's not your normal chic-lit, meaning it's about a woman in her 30's and she had kids! I enjoyed it. I realized that this is one of many books about Annie Valentine. I can't wait to go grab the other books. The author, Carmen Reid, is a Glaswegian! I'm looking forward to some upcoming events.

Northanger Abbey
Northanger Abbey

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this one!, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Kindle Edition)
LOVED it! I know that Northanger is the lesser of the Austen books...maybe not a favorite of some...but it is one of MY favorites. I'm in love with Henry Tilney. I am. He is as good as they get. If you have never read any Austen, or just not read Northanger Abbey, now is the time. You get the feel that Jane Austen is finding herself as a writer, and that is quite fun! Northanger Abbey has everything anyone would want in a book. Romance, Mystery, Intrigue and of course a lot of dancing and gowns!! Give it a shot! I know you'll love it!

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written!, 12 Aug. 2011
I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife about 15 min ago, and I am in awe. Sheer awe. This book is a work of art really. There were times when I felt like I was peering into the lives of normal people (like me) with all the mundane tasks, and heartache's that life dishes out. Yet this tale is so unique and believable with it's extraordinary circumstances. The writing is in a class of it's own. It is beautiful. An elegy to love and loss. Amazing.

I can't wait to go see the movie. I'm off tomorrow, I think I'll go by myself, and enjoy this beautiful story of Henry and Clare.

Catching Fire
Catching Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of the series!, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Catching Fire (Kindle Edition)
OH MY GOSH! This book is so amazing! It is EVERYTHING I hoped it would be. I've been waiting 11 months for this book to come out, and finally it is here. I woke up and was waiting outside the book shop before they opened. I was getting my copy first!

There is so much action, politics, and love in this book! Katniss & Peeta are my favorites hero's to date in ANY book I've ever read. I don't want to spoil ANYTHING for you, so I won't say any more. If you have not read The Hunger Games, NOW IS THE TIME! You're sure to LOVE this series as much as I do! I can't wait for book 3! I'll go crazy with waiting!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15