Profile for Josephine Louise > Reviews

Gerard Manley Hopkins
by Gerard Manley Hopkins
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant: moody and magical, 3 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Gerard Manley Hopkins (Audio CD)
The first of 'The Great Poets' series by Naxos AudioBooks that I listened to, and my still favourite (so far)!
I was introduced to his poetry many years ago whilst still at school, and it's great to hear it come to life in this recording. Jeremy Northam's voice is perfect for the rhythm and rhyme of Gerard Manley Hopkins' poetry. The words and atmosphere keep your attention and spark your imagination. Tracks 6 ('God's Grandeur') to 13 ('Pied Beauty') work particularly well, combining both pace and passion. I was also relieved that 'No worst, there is none' was done justice.

The Great Poets: Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Christina Rossetti
The Great Poets: Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Christina Rossetti
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft, sweet and intimate, 3 Mar. 2009
An excellent collection of poetry by Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Christina Rossetti. Softly and endearingly read, the intimate tone of the readers' voices means that this CD is ideal to listen to somewhere calm and quiet (it gets lost if you try and listen to it in the car). There were moments were I wished there was more passion and less femininity, but good nonetheless. I hope that Naxos AudioBooks will one day release a Browning/Barrett Browning collection, including both their poetry and love letters to one another.

Written On The Body
Written On The Body
by Jeanette Winterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 26 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Written On The Body (Paperback)
This is honestly one of the best and most beautiful books I have ever read. Gorgeous prose.

It should move any romantic, and anyone who has been in (or is in) love will be able to relate to it.

I did find the ending rather vague, but that didn't spoil it for me. The fact that Winterson doesn't label the sex of the narrator makes it a universally appealing novel.

Remember Me?
Remember Me?
by Sophie Kinsella

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame, 26 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Remember Me? (Paperback)
Yes, unfortunately I have to agree with Donna Lister's review. That pretty much summed up how I felt after reading this book. As I've said in the title: such a shame.

Normally I love Sophie Kinsella's books. They've been described as 'Wit-Lit' in the past, but alas, this didn't fit the bill. If Kinsella was trying a new style or new techniques, then I feel for her. But if so, they just didn't work, and couldn't live up to the expectations created by her past novels. The concept of this one is great, so I was very excited to get my hands on a copy, but was ultimately disappointed. Something just wasn't right from the very first few pages. Lexi's friends were just irritating and I didn't feel anything for her as a character. None of it was laugh-out-loud funny, and in fact, some parts were just cringe-worthy - and not in a good way.

Overall, I felt that details were either rushed or over-explained. Too much was going on, with supposedly upsetting incidents you could read without caring much about. I think I'll be a little more careful next time round, but it won't put me off Kinsella yet. I still heartily recommend her other novels, which are both hilarious and moving.