Profile for P. Walker > Reviews

Content by P. Walker

P. Walker "Caveboy 101" (South Cave ,England)

Pitch Black: The Story of Black British Footballers
Pitch Black: The Story of Black British Footballers
by Emy Onuora

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking but sadly true!, 10 Aug. 2015
I grew up watching football in the 1960s and 70s. Then I went to matches but I gradually stopped as the off field violence and hooliganism leading to tragedies such as Bradford City and Hillsborough dimmed my feelings for the game. I still watch from afar and still love the game despite the increasing distance of Premier League footballers and Clubs from the day to day reality of most of their fans. The reason for that preamble is that I thought I knew the game but this book shattered that smugness. I was shocked by how little I knew about the day to day reality for the players that this book focuses on. The vicious unrelenting racism they faced in so many aspects of their life and in their careers. I was moved to tears of shame for what they went through and had to face. How they had to battle every day to be accepted and got no backing with some notable exceptions from their fellow team mates, clubs and the FA. This still goes on given how few black coaches or managers there are in the game.
I highly recommend this book if you are a football supporter, in fact I think you have to read it to understand an important part of the social history of the game - be warned though it is not an easy read such is the content but please read it and then, like I am to you, tell others to do so.

Love in Action 1: Calento Bay (Love in Action Series)
Love in Action 1: Calento Bay (Love in Action Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Paw, 11 Dec. 2014
Story line a bit jumpy. Basic story good but would be better if more detail and better chronology with more detail.

KIDNAPPED, A Romantic Suspense Novel (Edgars Family Novels Book 1)
KIDNAPPED, A Romantic Suspense Novel (Edgars Family Novels Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Paw, 10 Dec. 2014
A book that you just can't put down. Keeps you guessing who the"bad" guy is. Some nice twists to the story.

The Travel Auction
The Travel Auction

5.0 out of 5 stars Paw, 7 Dec. 2014
Loved the way this book was written from both main characters view. Just wanted to keep reading. Storyline also makes you think about difficulties of being visually impaired.

Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)
Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cornish girl, 3 April 2013
Great twist to the story that kept you guessing right to the end. Can't wait to read the rest in the series.

The Foresight War
The Foresight War
by Anthony G Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Such a Brilliance for a first Book, 6 July 2007
This review is from: The Foresight War (Paperback)
Ill keep this short, sweet and to the point its a 4 star book but is so close to 5 stars that you can taste it.(Its only the authors first step into fiction so he can only get better)

You will love this book it may not be the best book when it comes to character development but this is so far outweighed by the pure technical brillance of this author mixed with the fast pace of action. That you will not want to stop and I'm not the only reviewer to say this so clearly I'm not lying.

BUY THIS BOOK. Its worth it cause I've read it once and am starting again and this will not be the last time, it is simply that good.

Plague of the Dead (The Morningstar Strain)
Plague of the Dead (The Morningstar Strain)
by Z.A. Recht

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Jun. 2007
Im going to keep this short and to the point.

Buy this book!!!!!!!!!

It kept me up all night and was finished in two days. Throughout my heart was beating faster and I was jumpy as hell. Its well thought out, written and is just frankly superb.

You will not be disappointed and by the end you'll be begging for more because you really will want to know whats going to happen.

If your thinking abou this checkout WORLD WAR Z (also a cracker)

World War Z
World War Z
by Max Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, 7 Jun. 2007
This review is from: World War Z (Paperback)
This book arrived today and as im currently on study leave I thought I'd start reading it straight away.

From about 2 in the afternoon when I picked up the book I have found myself increasingly reluctant to put it down. So far im only 170 pages in having had to keep stopping to "revise" and go out but in those 170 pages I've felt sadness had tears in the eyes, laughed out loud but overall had a vague feeling of unease as I realise my heart is beating a little faster and my hands just that bit sweatier as the realism of the book hits home. You might think that foolish but if you buy and read this book you will understand. Even now at the back of mind is asking what would I do, if madness happen and the dead walked.

This book is brilliant buy it and read it !

The Protector's War
The Protector's War
by S M Stirling
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars You wont care about food or sleep with this book in your hands, 5 Jun. 2007
Brilliant......pure page turning Brilliance.

I first came across S.M.Stirling via a boring day surfing Amazon. Amazon recommened me "Dies The Fire" the first book in this series and if you are considering starting with this book, I would strongly recommend starting at the beginning so you know the Characters and the start of this original story.

Im 17 and do most of my reading when I "hit the sack" I finished this book in a week a bleary eyed madness, literaly reading till I could no longer keep my eyes open.

I loved it and would honestely (and have) recommend this book to all friends and family. S.M. Stirling has impressed me so much that ive bought another series, linked to this and just as good, and also bought the next book in the seris in hardback which for a member of the "troubled binge drinking youth of today" surely shows how much I liked this book. The fact that some of it centres around England meant I was even more interested.

If you want more S.M. Stirling or just want to have a peak before you buy the book. Google Mr Stirling and go on HIS official site which contains long extracts from most of his works.

A Meeting at Corvallis (Dies the Fire)
A Meeting at Corvallis (Dies the Fire)
by S. M. Stirling

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant to the last page, 14 Nov. 2006
I've just read this book it arrived on Friday and by Sunday morning it was finished. This a brilliant piece of writting that will really get you involved with charachters and feeling for what happens to them. I'd thoroughly recommend this book and the whole series preferably starting at the beginning with DIES THE FIRE, they are all well worth reading.

This original premise for story will keep you wanting more and i cant wait for S M Stirling's next book to come out soon. I'jm hooked and if you read this so will you