Profile for Jim Sowter > Reviews

Jim Sowter

Dragons of the Hourglass Mage: Lost Chronicles, Volume Three
Dragons of the Hourglass Mage: Lost Chronicles, Volume Three

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Lost Chronicles, 30 Oct. 2015
Best of the three Lost Chronicles, and really sets things up perfectly for the Legends series, which I have now started to read again after many years!

Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun)
Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun)
by Mark Charan Newton

5.0 out of 5 stars A standout piece of fantasy fiction, in a crowded marketplace!, 3 Dec. 2012
Nights of Villjamur is the debut novel from Mark Charan Newton, but you would not think it for a moment. Villjamur, and the fantasy world in which is set, seems just as fleshed out as any setting in any long running series too. It certainly does not feel like the first book, from an author stumbling into a crowded genre. Mark Newton has arrived on the scene, and he is certainly proving with this series that he can hold his own against other literary giants in the genre, like George R R Martin, Robert Jordan, David Gemmel and Joe Abercrombie.

I don't want to go too in depth into the plot of the novel, as there are already reviews out there that talk a lot about the characters and the story. I would rather you read it and explore this fantastic world. Mark Charan Newton is a fantastic guide in this respect. He doesn't dawdle and takes forever to show you every nook and cranny around Villjamur, but he pulls you by the hand a whips you through the streets at a breakneck pace, leaving you feeling breathless, but in awe, at the end.

What really makes this book so great though are the characters. Each main player is distinctly different, and each has their own story to tell. Mark doesn't waste time on exposition. He lets you explore the characters, and you find a little more about them from chapter to chapter, sometimes with very shocking revelations.

I mentioned Joe Abercrombie earlier, and that was for a reason too. That was because I was reading Abercrombie's 'The Blade Itself' around the same time as I read this book. I found that Mark's style of writing was very similar, and made for a great read. If you like the books of Joe Abercrombie, then I am sure you will also enjoy this book immensely (maybe more).

This book feels like a breath of fresh air, in this genre, and by the last page you are felt wanting more. Luckily there are more books already out in this series for you to collect and get your teeth into.

Don't waste any more time reading my review though.....I urge you to click and buy this book now. It will not disappoint you!

Griffin Survivor Case for iPod Touch 4th Gen - Extreme Duty Case
Griffin Survivor Case for iPod Touch 4th Gen - Extreme Duty Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't leave home without it!, 13 Nov. 2011
After, stupidly, dropping my brand new iPhone 4 (and cracking the back of it) I looked for a solution that would prevent similar further disasters. Then I came across the video showing what the guys from Griffin were doing to the case. I knew then that this would be the case for me.

Having used it now for some time, I can attest to how great this case really is. When people ask me whether they think it is sturdy enough, I throw my phone at them ;) I am 100% confident at all times that this case protects my phone like no other.

I have seen this case on The Gadget Show, getting strapped to a brick and thrown into a washing machine at 100mph, then placed into a bin and getting blown up with explosives. It was the only case that survived such rigourous testing!

If you are looking for the ultimate case to protect your iPhone 4....then look no further! This is the best you will get for your money!

Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy (Warhammer: Von Carstein)
Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy (Warhammer: Von Carstein)
by Steven Savile

5.0 out of 5 stars First class gothic horror/fantasy!!, 11 Jun. 2008
I want to start by saying that I have read some reviews of this Omnibus, which are quite absurd, stating how a poor work of fiction this is. What I would like to point people towards are the reviews for the individual novels (Inheritance, Dominion, Retribution) where you will see a TOTALLY different set of opinions, which are much more in line with my own - and really do reflect these books better! So please look those up too!

As you will know from the synopsis, this Omnibus collects the three books I mentioned above, which detail the rise (and fall) of three different Vampire Counts in the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Weaved in amongst their tales are a set of characters that play major parts in all three books, and which I would say are just as important (if not more) than the main characters themselves.

Steven Savile not only managed to capture the tone of the Warhammer vampires, but at the same time crafted a set of novels which can be easily given to someone with no knowledge of the setting and can enjoyed immensely. I know as I have recommended them to several people, who have come back and reported how engrossed they were!

This is down to Steven's ability to write strong characters, that you either care about or hate with a passion! His characters usually are not good or evil, but more shades of grey (similar to those you would find in almost any David Gemmell novel) and this can create conflicting emotions inside you as you read!

If you have any interest in fantasy, or gothic horror, then you really cannot go far wrong with this Omnibus (not to mention how much of a bargain this book really is).

Steven Savile is an author to watch out for sure!