Profile for iGlad > Reviews

Content by iGlad

iGlad "iGlad" (Manchester, Lancs United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Bitches Brew [VINYL]
Bitches Brew [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars One word 'Genius', 3 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Bitches Brew [VINYL] (Vinyl)
One word 'Genius'

Some people have a problem with 'electric Miles' albums as most will be fans of his 'A Kind of Blue' album myself included. However I felt that' this album was a masterclass in ensemble playing. The players on this album are Jazz heavyweights and they know how to play. Everyone is given their own space to explore and innovate and it's amazing how little you actually hear Miles. I'm listening to the vinyl album and as the needle hits the groove i sit back and hear the band warming up on Pharoahs Dance along with Miles raspy mutterings. That's all i to hear as the band take me on a ride that just doesn't give up with the funk layered electric Jazz. It's hard to believe this album is 47 years old, yes 47 years old and does it sound dated, not one bit. That is part of the genius of this album it is still relevant today as it was in 1969. A great album.

The Dreaming Room [VINYL]
The Dreaming Room [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars She Can Do No Wrong, 28 Nov. 2016
This review is from: The Dreaming Room [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Laura has given us a album that takes us in a slightly new direction as its got a funkier edge to it. I am biased as I think she's a musicial genius who can write compose produce and play. Just buy the album and if you get to see her live then do as you won't be disappointed.

Emily's D+Evolution
Emily's D+Evolution
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Produced a Real Gem, 28 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Emily's D+Evolution (Audio CD)
I saw her perform this album at the Love Supreme Jazz Festival in July. For many it was hard watch to watch for many as they just didn't get it. However I listened to the music and I got that. The album is a gem of Jazz and funk with some Joni Mitchell thrown into the mix. Miss Spalding does remind me so much of Mitchell on certain tracks. The vocals are just so right and the musicianship is spot on. It's hard to pick a favourite track but 'Earth to Heaven' is a stand out for me. All I can say is buy this album as it's an intelligent well made album that will delight the senses.

Only For The Lonely
Only For The Lonely
Offered by soulsearchingplus

5.0 out of 5 stars Mavis Staples Soul Singer Extraordinaire, 3 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Only For The Lonely (Audio CD)
I bought this after seeing the documentary 'Mavis' I have her with the Staples Singers but never really knew she had made some solo albums in the late 60's. I think she could have been bigger than Aretha but alas she didn't want that. there are some great tracks on this double album CD. Her version of 'A House is Not a Home' actually brought tears to my eyes, when watching the 'Mavis' documentary. That track alone is worth the purchase but its an album filled with goodies.

iPhone 6S Plus Case, Caseology [Wavelength Series] Slim Fit Military-Grade Drop Protection [Navy Blue] for Apple iPhone 6S Plus (2015) & iPhone 6 Plus (2014)
Offered by Caseology® UK

2.0 out of 5 stars looks nice but, 3 Nov. 2016
It looks a nice case however I was unable to access the ringer switch with any finger so it's not much use to me as i need to be able to switch it on and off due to meetings etc. unfortunately i had to return it.

Just Being Me [VINYL]
Just Being Me [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy this album if you love soul music, 2 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Just Being Me [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a tour de force from Myles Sanko as he has reached new heights with this album. I know he's a great singer as I've seen him perform in Germany a number of times however his is an amazing album as it just drips with class, great writing, great singing, great music, great musicians and great production. The mixture of solid soul with a sprinkling of jazz means that isn't a bad track on the album but i do have my favourites in fact I often play both sides twice before turning the vinyl over. As a sidenote i must say the artwork for the vinyl albums which i have is superb, with an excellent 4 page booklet.

All I can say is buy this album if you like your soul music with heart.

Superwoman
Superwoman
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Given us a Beauty of an Album, 14 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Superwoman (Audio CD)
This beautiful little scouser can sing to me any day of the week as her voice and music just makes my day. This album is up there with and even surpasses 'Heaven' as our Rebecca is on top form again. The 'Freedom' album was very disappointing as she sounded like she was singing with a cold on some tracks. The Lady sings the Blues showed us another side to her talents but i prefer her singing her own material. This album knocks it out the park as she's written some great songs this time around.'Bones' 'Mistress', 'Hold Me' and 'Superwoman' are superbly written and sung to perfection. There's something about her voice that is not only powerful but it also has a fragility to it and she's able to take us along that journey with her. Do we know her, I guess we do as it's not all been roses since she's had solo success. So some of the songs we know what they are about and not some cryptic twaddle about writing a letter to your younger self.

She's got soul in bucketloads enough to fill the Mersey, so lets congratulate her on a great album, with great songs, great vocals, great musicians and great production by Troy Miller.

I must make a mention to the photographer Jon Compson as he's taken some beautiful breathtaking cover photos of Rebecca, which are the best i've seen, she's always been a beauty but these take her to a completely different level.

A British soul album, which Rebecca and all involved can be very very proud of.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2016 11:51 AM BST

Out 'n' In
Out 'n' In

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember the Name Empirical, 3 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Out 'n' In (Audio CD)
I find their music just amazing, tight compact, loose and free but never ever boring as it challenges you. They kick the ball out off the park with this one.

Elements Of Truth
Elements Of Truth

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be wowed, 3 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Elements Of Truth (Audio CD)
I saw these guys live at the Manchester jazz festival and they just blew my mind. This album makes my head spin just a little bit more as it's full great music.

Coming Home
Coming Home

1.0 out of 5 stars faux soul, 3 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Coming Home (Audio CD)
This is not a soul album its faux soul dreamt up the marketing dept at the label. It's a snooze filled debut and he certainly isn't a new Sam Cooke, not in any way, shape or form. This is for people who like Adele is soul, which she ain't!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9