Profile for Mighty Mouse > Reviews

Content by Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
In Car Holder for Apple Iphone 8 / 7 / 7 Plus / 6s / 6 / 6 Plus / 5 / 4 / 4s / 3G / 3 and IPOD series 2018 Model Iphone X
Offered by Best Digital Market

The Spring of Kasper Meier
The Spring of Kasper Meier
by Ben Fergusson

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a go!, 25 Oct. 2014
I’ve never read anything quite like this — powerful in the way in conjures the feel of a unique place and time, well-observed and very smoothly written. The atmospheric mood never overwhelms — partly due to the short and incisive chapters — and builds to a page-turning climax.

I’m very curious to see what Fergusson does next!

Bill Granger Easy
Bill Granger Easy
by Bill Granger

5.0 out of 5 stars easy and delicious, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Bill Granger Easy (Hardcover)
I'm not much of a cook, but I had some friends coming over for dinner and wanted to do something a bit special, without it being difficult or fiddly. I borrowed a copy of Bill Granger's Easy, and tried the merguez and cavolo nero recipe inside. It was incredibly easy, looked wonderful and tasted delicious. I'm definitely going to cook something from this book again in the future. Highly recommended.

The Discomfort Zone: A Personal History
The Discomfort Zone: A Personal History
by Jonathan Franzen

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, but not mind-blowing, 3 Mar. 2010
Well I think The Corrections is probably my favourite novel of the last 10 years, so was curious to read this. Overall it paints an interesting picture of growing up in the mid-west and gives some sense of the backdrop to the corrections and also a portrait of the artist as a young man. Certain sections were funny and others very familiar and interesting. I would have preferred a bit more about 'why I came to writing and how I feel about it' and a bit less about birding etc. But it's short enough that no section goes on too long.

Probably only of interest to people interested in Franzen already.

The Autograph Man
The Autograph Man
by Zadie Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 3 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Autograph Man (Paperback)
disappointing. I like zadie smith, loved white teeth and enjoy her essays and lit crit stuff. This novel doesn't work for me; the jokes don't come off, the celebrity as signifier motif never really came clear and the characters seemed unrealistic, selfish and most importantly, unbelievable. I never really bought into the characters, which is the first hurdle for fiction.

I'll persevere with Zadie and assume this one's a blip.

Yoga for People Who Can't be Bothered
Yoga for People Who Can't be Bothered
by Geoff Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, 3 Mar. 2010
cast from a range of exotic locations, these essays/stories/episodes all feel quite separate and yet all clearly come from the same mind. Dyer has a unique and yet universal view of how things seem and the strange moments and locations that bring out who we really are. Immediately feels familiar and like nothing else I've read. His writing feels very natural and unaffected. It feels more honest and yet is very smooth.

I think negative reviews are probably due to frustrations with the disjointed style and locations, and I did find myself longing for more linkages and continuity, but hey you take what you can get. Well worth a read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2012 7:32 PM GMT

Self Help
Self Help
by Edward Docx

5.0 out of 5 stars great., 3 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Self Help (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this. The themes-- Russia, travel, death, global dislocation etc are all right up my street, and the narrative, description, and voice of the story all work really well. The weakest moments are the parodies of office life in london were a bit unnecessary and forced... I felt there was some stuff the author had to get off his chest there, and it felt a bit shoehorned in. But still, well worth a read.... recommended to everyone.

The Year of the Flood
The Year of the Flood
by Margaret Atwood

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but preferred oryx and crake, 3 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Year of the Flood (Hardcover)
at times I found it really engaging. the gods gardeners are compelling, but overall too long, and not enough resolution for me.

Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry
Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry
by B S Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, dated, disappointing, 6 Dec. 2009
I wanted to read The Unfortunates, but this was what I found in a second hand bookshop. My feeling was that Double-Entry was pretty average-- the premise and the device are not that interesting and the execution is done pretty well, but not to an overall effect I'd particularly recommend. For satires of the commercialisation of life/society, there are other books that certainly work better for me, and that I find both more true/interesting, and also more funny. It's also put me off reading The Unfortunates, but I'll still try to give it a go if it comes my way.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2012 8:33 PM BST

Less Than Zero
Less Than Zero
by Bret Easton Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining zilch, 6 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Less Than Zero (Paperback)
enjoyable slide into 80s nihilism and sex/drugs for the rich set. For a novel in which very little happens, at least for most of it, it is strangely captivating and engrossing. The passage of one word after another seems mesmerising and overall I enjoyed it.

At times it's also funny and at other times really disturbing and as with all BEE it's never quite clear which is which.

Worth a go.