Profile for Ger > Reviews

Saint Joan: A Chronicle Play in Six Scenes and an Epilogue
Saint Joan: A Chronicle Play in Six Scenes and an Epilogue
by George Bernard Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama for all ages, 14 Dec. 2012
We all know the story of Saint Joan. Joan a young French country girl finds herself caught up in a France versus England political struggle. She has nothing to recommend her for the task, but Shaw portrays her there among her comrades as fearless, confident, inspired. And she is And like so many visionaries down the centuries she pays the supreme price.
What I love more than the text, and I love the text - brisk, upbeat, re-captuing the various personalities so accurately - what I love more is Shaw's Preface. Yes, it is long, many paragraphs, and I suppose out of proportion to the length of the text of the play but it contains so much wisdom. I'll take one example. He speaks of the VISIONARY and sees the visionary as one who sees further, probes deeper and who DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Oh yes, we all dream dreams, I can come up with solutions to several of the world's problems, but I am not prepared to put my life on the line. This is only one example but so relevant in today's world of self-glorification.
The PLAY presents a delightful Jaon, the Preface invites us to ponder her story.

My Mother Wore a Yellow Dress
My Mother Wore a Yellow Dress
by Christina McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars A MEMORABLE READ, 14 Dec. 2012
When a friend first gave me this book I read it in one sitting, yes, right through the night. There was so much that spoke to me. There were so many echoes of my own childhood. The PROLOGUE is honest, painful, and so very true as it is historically bound to a particular period of history in rural Ireland. There is the recognition of "limiting belief systems" and more importantly there is the courage to hear and respond to the call to True Self worth.
Her story is accurately recaptured, that long story from misunderstood childhood right through to maturing adulthood. And about half way through is a detailed account of a supernatural event in her home which shakes old beliefs, old traditions, and out of the experience comes a belief in a supreme Being, not a God to be feared but One who invites, offers a whole new way of living. A road to freedom. And Christine heard and responded. Wonderful.
The story may appear historically bound but I believe it contains the width it needs to speak to a wider readership.
Yes, I love this story. I re-read it from time to time and I make sure my friends have a copy.

The Heart's Time - A Poem a Day for Lent and Easter
The Heart's Time - A Poem a Day for Lent and Easter
by Janet Morley

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lenten Feast, 27 Feb. 2012
A few weeks ago I began looking around for a book that might help me walk my Lenten journey this year. I stumbled on JANET MORLEY'S "the heart's time - a poem a day for Lent and Easter".
I love poetry. As children we learned poems by heart and right through life I have found comfort, consolation, in poetic works, as Mary Oliver says poems provide the ability not just to look but to SEE, really SEE. Yes, poetry gives voice to an all embracing spirituality, gives voice to my search for belonging, gives voice to my deepest desires.
This text has a poem for each day. This text has a wide variety of voices; Chesterton, Hopkins, U.A. Fanthorpe, Donne and I have to exercise restraitn and stay with a poem a day.
And this is not just a text for the Lenten Season. It is a book for all seasons for those searching for a better balance between the Outer World with its daily demands and the Inner World where I find meaning for my True Self.

Seven Sacred Pauses: Living Mindfully Through the Hours of the Day
Seven Sacred Pauses: Living Mindfully Through the Hours of the Day
by WIEDERKEHR

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM PART OF THE STARLIGHT, 22 Mar. 2011
Some time ago I read Macrina's book SEASONS OF YOUR HEART and found ther wisdom, uplift, invitation, and so I was attracted by SEVENSACREDPAUSES.
I find this book inspiritational, indeed necessary, in my life where so often the noisy, outer world dominates to an alarming degree.
Down the years groups of men, groups of women, have punctuated the 24 hours with a series of "pauses". In recent times monastic doors have opened to allow the laity to join them for periods of reflection. We cannot all manage to do this but we can observe, listen, learn and find a rhythm for daily life. This book provides a useful structure.
Circles fascinate me. The earth's turning, the daily/nightly dance beckons, invites and a book like this provides the "steps" i need to join in the dance, a dance that has an emphasis on BE-ing. As the dance goes on the intrusion of secularism begins to lessen, and gently falls away.
The book concludes with prayers, poetry, antiphons, to help me celebrate the dance of the universe reminding me that I am part of the starlight (page 172) "O Dancer of the distant stars, we are part of your starlight".
A beautiful book to help me live "mindfully" through the hours of every day.

Awareness
Awareness
by Anthony De Mello

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPORTANCE OF AWARENESS, 1 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Awareness (Paperback)
I love this book. I have had many copies and love sharing them. A.de Mello invites us to look at the use of labels in our daily living, in our political lives, in our religious lives and to stop and see the harm done by irresponsible use of labels. I see myself as a kind of "authority" on the subject, and recognise the ongoing need for awareness. I was born and received my early education in the North of Ireland. I have spent years working in different parts of Africa and there are points of similarity in these diverse experiences. The tribal divides provide battlefields with warring factions lining up on each side. US and THEM. And it is so sad. When will we learn the beauty of "difference" and exclaim with the French Vive la difference? Reading this book provides a beginning, the beginning of a process that might make a long time but so worth the effort.
de Mello writes with humour. Stop and look at yourself, he begs. And the resulting laughter may help us make a breakthrough and reduce tensions that span our world.

OVERCOMING YOUR SHADOW MISSION THE (Leadership Library)
OVERCOMING YOUR SHADOW MISSION THE (Leadership Library)
by ORTBERG JOHN

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 11 May 2010
This is an excellent book, beautifully written, biblical, topical, I read it in one sitting, I could not put it down. The SHADOW SELF interests me, the personal shadow, but here we have the collective shadow. As I watch the election process snatches of the book keep coming to mind and I keep finding political shadows all over the place! I wish I could produce an animated screen production with the various would-be's and wanta-be's in full costume strutting the nation as players strut the stage. The Old Testament characters in Ortberg's little gem are fully alive and are folk for all seasons. We have much to learn from them. Oh, to be a producer!

Love Beyond Reason: Moving God's Love from Your Head to Your Heart
Love Beyond Reason: Moving God's Love from Your Head to Your Heart
by John Ortberg

4.0 out of 5 stars An Invitation, 11 May 2010
I like John Ortberg's style of writing, it is simple and appealing and in this way gets his message across very effectively. In our every day lives the word LOVE is used extensively, and so often it is not LOVE, real love that is meant. So we need to be reminded that there is more to life than the appeal of the latest pop song or the latest scandal. We long to love and be loved. I want someone to love ME, not for what I do or for what I have, and I have great difficulty in finding that person. Ortberg reminds me that I am loved unconditionally, with a crazy love, a love that does not see my wrong-doing but loves me just as I am. Yes, I need a LOVE BEYOND REASON and this text leads me along paths to the desire of my heart.

Etty Hillesum: A Life Transformed
Etty Hillesum: A Life Transformed
by Patrick Woodhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars A woman for our times, 8 Oct. 2009
Etty Hillesum, an ordinary woman, troubled, yet seeking and searching, makes sense of the message "unless the grain of wheat die itself remains alone, but if it dies it brings forth LIFE," new life reaching out to eternity. Etty inspires, Etty draws forth the best in me, in us. Our troubled world needs this message as we try to live a better balance between the OUTER and the INNER in a world dominated by the OUTER to, at times, a destructive degree. As World War 1 ended, as we contemplated the wanton destruction of cities, as we tried to count our dead, those millions of the youth of the world, we vowed: NEVER AGAIN. What did we learn? Will we ever learn? Etty's story inspires, gives hope, awakens gratitude in our hearts, and each of us, in our own small way can try to "act as a balm for all wounds."