Profile for Linda Smith > Reviews

Content by Linda Smith

Linda Smith (Oxford, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
JVL Laundry Basket White Willow with Inset Handles 60 x 45 x 25 cm
JVL Laundry Basket White Willow with Inset Handles 60 x 45 x 25 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Basket Bad Basket, 12 April 2017
Ergonomically the basket is perfect, light to handle, easy to pick up and carry. It will not, however, carry a machine-load all at once. My main disappointment is in the quality of the basketwork, which is more or less unfinished with all manner of rough ends to catch your hands and clothing. It was very cheap so I suppose I have no cause for complaint but frankly I'd rather pay double and have better quality.

Orpheus: The Song of Life
Orpheus: The Song of Life
by Ann Wroe

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly wonderful, 3 Mar. 2016
Structured on the notes of an ancient lyre, Wroe plucks the tale of Orpheus out of the creative imagination. At the same time, she introduces us to her own inspiration, the poet Rainer Maria Rilke. Truly wonderful.

The Morville Hours: The Story of a Garden
The Morville Hours: The Story of a Garden
by Katherine Swift

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to savour, 3 Mar. 2016
Bought this for my husband's birthday. He's two years older now and still hasn't received it. I will not part with it, nor am I in a hurry to finish it. This is not a book to be devoured but savoured and savoured. Glorious.

Lavinia
Lavinia

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 3 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Lavinia (Kindle Edition)
LeGuin has lost none of her powers with age, but she has deepened in understanding and sensitivity. I adore the otherworldliness of this book, the way Lavinia imagines others as we imagine her. Magical.

Symbols of Eternity: Landmarks for a Soul Journey
Symbols of Eternity: Landmarks for a Soul Journey
by Malcolm Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, 3 Mar. 2016
One of the very best books on sacred geometry. Every page is an illumination.

Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life
Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life
by Kathleen Norris

4.0 out of 5 stars It was recommended by a friend when I was in the absolute ..., 3 Mar. 2016
This book identifies a problem writers, and many artists, suffer: too much study drains the creativity. It was recommended by a friend when I was in the absolute pits and it got me out of it. So glad I read it.

Akeman Street
Akeman Street
by Tim Copeland

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, dependable piece of archaeological writing which would have ..., 3 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Akeman Street (Paperback)
Good, dependable piece of archaeological writing which would have been perfectly adequate had the introduction not promised a lot more than I expected, i.e. the imaginative vision of someone who has walked the route. I got quite excited, and therefore felt let down as we followed the road. In the end, it's better treated as a work of reference than a fireside read.

The Vedic Core of Human History: And Truth will be the Savior
The Vedic Core of Human History: And Truth will be the Savior

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea poorly presented, 3 Mar. 2016
I've given up on this one. For someone who obviously values scholarship, he plays very free and easy with the facts. He seems to think, for instance, that the Celts built Stonehenge. This is a great pity because I believe his thesis is founded on an important truth about the antiquity and influence of the Vedic culture. But you cannot trust a book where facts are treated so cavalierly, or when you, the reader, find yourself being addressed many times as a 'white cultural supremacist' or some such bitter epithet. A culture that is advaitist at its core respects the unity of all, and you would expect its proponents to do the same. He should write the book again, after a course in philosophy and history.

Children Of God
Children Of God

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Music, 3 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Children Of God (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't think how she was going to resolve the Sparrow with this sequel, but she does. Superb piece of storytelling with unforgettable characters, and the music... It will haunt you forever.

Long-Point Automatic Stop 2-Hole with Lead Pointers
Long-Point Automatic Stop 2-Hole with Lead Pointers
Offered by Vesey Arts and Crafts

2.0 out of 5 stars ... reason I need a long-point sharpener is because I like to put a middle tone on the paper before ..., 11 Feb. 2016
The reason I need a long-point sharpener is because I like to put a middle tone on the paper before I begin drawing. The best pencils for that are 3B and upwards. The sharpener only sharpens slim pencils, under 2B, for which I do not particularly need a long point. Otherwise it works well, once you've worked out that you use both sharpeners, one for the wood, the other for the lead. Please make the same product for fat pencils! Meanwhile I've been advised by other disappointed sketchers to use a make-up pencil sharpener. I suspect it will prove a lot cheaper.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2017 4:57 AM BST