Profile for Big Andy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Champion RJ19LM Engine Spark Plug
Champion RJ19LM Engine Spark Plug

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 April 2016
Very good, it got my lawnmower working again!

Casio Unisex Quartz Classic Watch with Black Dial Digital Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased. The watch looks good, 19 April 2016
Very pleased. The watch looks good, does as expected and is on sale at a good price. Some people think it is a bit naff when I show it to them, others think it is cool and retro - can't please everyone but I like it!.

Mudder Ball Pump with Needle for Basketball, Football (Blue)
Mudder Ball Pump with Needle for Basketball, Football (Blue)
Offered by Mudder Online UK

2.0 out of 5 stars I managed to get one ball inflated OK then the ..., 19 April 2016
I managed to get one ball inflated OK then the needle broke off inside the second ball I tried to inflate. I suppose I will have to buy some more needles and hope the thread is the same. Not very impressed.

Santic Men's Windproof Cycling Trousers Fleece Thermal Winter Pants Size L
Santic Men's Windproof Cycling Trousers Fleece Thermal Winter Pants Size L
Offered by KISSABC SPORTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Feb. 2016
Great trousers which keep you warm and dry in the worst of weather.

West Biking Cycling Gloves Bike Bicycle Gel Silicone Anti-slip Full Finger Gloves Warm in Winter Ultra-breathable Black-L
Offered by West Biking

3.0 out of 5 stars Zip broke but still wearable, 15 Feb. 2016
The zip on one of the glove broke on first use but they are still wearable

Black Built-In Motion Plus Remote + Nunchuck Controller For Wii + Silicone Ca
Black Built-In Motion Plus Remote + Nunchuck Controller For Wii + Silicone Ca
Offered by Soonina

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 15 Feb. 2016
The Nunchuck stopped working after about a week.

Bloody Belfast: An Oral History of the British Army's War Against The IRA
Bloody Belfast: An Oral History of the British Army's War Against The IRA
by Ken Wharton

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, 15 Jun. 2010
I haven't read the previous book "Bullet Bombs and Cups of Tea", but I found the first book "A Long Long War" fascinating. I think this book is even better than the first.

Unlike many contributors on here, I do not have any first hand experience of this conflict other than seeing it on the news! Relatively little has been written about this subject - certainly not from the point of view of the British soldier, so the book is an interesting perspective. Most other books on NI are more acadmeic analysis at the high political level rather than first hand experience at ground level.

The book is straight from the horses mouth the authoer being an ex-squaddie who served in Northern Ireland. It is very insightful and you can really start to empathise with these young lads on the hostile streets of Northen Ireland, sharing their emotions and fears, loss and comraderie.

An interesting conspiracy theory about the American sniper btw - you'll have to read the book to find out!

Cars Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD)
Cars Combi Pack (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ John Lasseter

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 15 Jun. 2010
Not a bad film, obviously for kids. I bouoght it for my 2 year old son who is car obsessed and he loved it.

Although it is no grear cinematic master piece I also quite enjoyed it if I'm honest. Beats watching Chuggington, Bob The Builder or Rory the Racing Car which is what we normally watch together.

A Long Long War: Voices from the British Army in Northern Ireland 1969-98
A Long Long War: Voices from the British Army in Northern Ireland 1969-98
by Ken Wharton

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody good book!, 21 May 2008
I have no personal involvement with Northern Ireland, other than an interest in modern history. This book caught my eye as you don't tend to hear much about Northern Ireland and certainly never from the point of view of the British soldiers.

This book is a fascinating collection of first hand experiences from the British soldiers that served in the 'troubles', expertly researched and brought together. These fascinating, tragic, heartfelt and sometimes amusing stories had sadly looked to have been largely forgotten forever until now. I'm glad that many of those that served in Northern Ireland now have an outlet for their voices to be heard, but even more importantly it is a thoroughly interesting read for all!

The Islamist: Why I joined radical Islam in Britain, what I saw inside and why I left
by Ed Husain

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 23 Aug. 2007
This is a fascinating book. I read a broad selection of the criticisms of this book in an attempt to gauge its authenticity. Much of the criticism is about his "Muslim credentials" and his portrayal of specific Islamic groups and it is quite easy to understand why the said groups have a vested interest in attacking these portrayals. Whilst I do not doubt for one moment Ed Hussein portrayal, for me this is irrelevant to the central point of the book.

The book's central aim is to demonstrate how a young person born into a Western liberal democracy with no particular grievances against the people around them, can justify indiscriminately murdering the very people they have grown up with. This book achieves this and reveals how young naive minds can be twisted by an irrational hatred and shows how religion can be used to persuade otherwise good people to commit horrendously evil acts. We are given an insight into the minds of certain Islamic groups, who beliefs and aims are to destroy liberal democracy and to live in a Caliphate. This kind of Islam has been allowed to flourish because of the tenets of freedom of speech and religious tolerance, values that our society holds so dear. Ironically this a freedom that would certainly not be allowed in Islamic societies such as Saudi Arabia, or the society so desired by certain Islamic groups in this country.

As I have mention much of the criticism of this book is from Muslim writers, but there is also a fair bit from the liberal press. The book does quite clearly identify an Islamic threat and in doing so gives plenty ammunition to far right views. Certain liberal writers (and I consider myself a liberal) condemn the book, as they fear it could be used as a recruiting call to the far right, not because they necessarily disagree with the books opinions and statements.

I have only given this book 4 stars, but I can't fault it really I just reserve 5 stars for a truly life changing book.

Page: 1 | 2