Profile for N. J. Phillips > Reviews

Content by N. J. Phillips

N. J. Phillips "Neil J Phillips" (Chichester, Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
BEARDED BEN Beard Brush with 100% natural boar bristles, perfectly grooms and massages, eases itchy flaky beards | 2 Year Satisfaction Guarantee | beard comb, grooming set
Offered by Wright Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made product, 22 May 2017
I found this very effective, small, neat and very useful when travelling. it's a very well made product. I bought another one to keep in the car (an open car). Only (tiny) complaint is that the box is a lot bigger than the brush so while it's easy to keep the box in the car it is large in a travel kit.

Gorilla Tape 11m
Gorilla Tape 11m

3.0 out of 5 stars Not special, 22 May 2017
This review is from: Gorilla Tape 11m (DIY & Tools)
This is ok but not, I felt , better than Duck tape. Specifically I used it on the hood of my MX5 to cover a repair and make it look a bit neater. Like Duck tape it stuck down well at first but after a few days began to lift at the edges. So not bad but not special.

Kiehl's Nourishing Beard Oil, 30ml
Kiehl's Nourishing Beard Oil, 30ml
Offered by Great Value Bags

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff but..., 4 April 2017
This costs £22.00 if you buy it from Kiehls.

Trick or Treatment?: Alternative Medicine on Trial
Trick or Treatment?: Alternative Medicine on Trial
by Simon Singh

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for PSHE and/or Critical Thinking, 28 Feb. 2017
Very well written, very accessible. Should be in every school library and would be useful on a Critical Thinking course. In these days of 'fake news' this provides an antidote.

JAMES & NICHOLSON Classic men's T-shirt with breast pocket (XXL, ash)
JAMES & NICHOLSON Classic men's T-shirt with breast pocket (XXL, ash)
Offered by Gift Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 28 Feb. 2017
I bought two of these, size XXL which is a comfy 48/50. I've worn each several times and washed them two or three times and they haven't shrunk at all. Very good value.

Leather Bumbag Gusti Leder nature "Don" Belt Pouch Purse Vintage Leisure Weekend Practical Party Festival Accessory Bag Brown Small Brown Unisex G6
Offered by Gusti Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jun. 2016
Very good quality, strong and well made. I'm very happy with it.

MODERN CHAISE LONGUE IN SAGE GREEN VELVET
MODERN CHAISE LONGUE IN SAGE GREEN VELVET

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what she wanted, 17 Jun. 2016
I bought this for my wife to lounge on in our conservatory and she loves it. It is exactly as described in the picture and the written dimensions. I asked Neatsales to delay delivery so that she could have it on her birthday and they were very co-operative. We are both pleased with the sofa and the company.

The Happy Atheist
The Happy Atheist
by Pz Myers

5.0 out of 5 stars It made this atheist happy., 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Happy Atheist (Hardcover)
I got this yesterday and spent last night reading it. It's great fun, I laughed out loud several times. Although it didn't really contain any information that was new to me it did phrase many points in such a pithy way that I shall be using extracts in my teaching.

When I say it didn't have information that was new to me I don't mean to put it down - it's nice to read something which sounds honest and sensible. So much writing and communication around at the moment is namby-pamby that it is really pleasant to read someone who can state an honestly held and empirically supported opinion.

Now I must work on remembering that he's Pee Zee Myers, not Pee Zed Myers. Pee Zed definitely sounds better.

Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Cole and Hitch Novel)
Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Cole and Hitch Novel)
by Robert Knott

3.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, but not Robert B. Parker, 17 Jan. 2013
This is an exciting western adventure novel and it does recall Parker's characters and some of the time his style. However the style slips at several points, sometimes with the dialogue which can achieve a stilted effect which Parker avoided. Parker's spare dialogue drives the characters forward, Knott's merely reiterates that they are rather taciturn people.
The voice of the novel is still meant to be that of Everett Hitch who has now apparently become an expert on modern developments in railway engineering as he can reel off facts about new braking systems. This is obviously meant to make us admire the amount of research, (in the sense of looking things up in books) that Knott has undertaken. Many modern writers engage in this but Parker never did. Unfortunately it takes away from the credibility of Hitch as we already know him. It might have been credible that he would read information from a pamphlet to Virgil, but not that he would know it off by heart.
Along with a careful study of railway braking Knott might have looked more carefully at 19th century social attitudes. Parker presented Cole and Hitch as decent men who took people on their merits, Knott's characters would fit well into a 21st century liberal arts college.

Overall, as I suggest in my title, this is a fun read, but on at least every other page one winces at something that is not Robert Parker. I shall be passing this on to a local charity shop and I shall not bother with any others.

Testing Treatments: Better Research for Better Healthcare
Testing Treatments: Better Research for Better Healthcare
by Imogen Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily read by the layman, 21 Oct. 2011
I came on this title via Ben Goldacre's blog "Bad Science". It is a fascinating book with useful information about a variety of medical matters. I'd recommend it to anyone in good health. It is, as my title claims, easily read and understood by the layman - congratulations to the authors.

It is also of huge interest to anyone interested in the topic of truth. As a philosophy teacher it has given me a lot to think about and a number of interesting discussion points to use in classes.

If you really can't afford it get in in PDF, but try to afford it - these people deserve support.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3