Profile for Stephen Crawford > Reviews

Content by Stephen Crawford

Stephen Crawford "stephen_crawford1978" (Dublin, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Mid Morning Matters Series 2 [DVD] [2016]
Mid Morning Matters Series 2 [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

1.0 out of 5 stars Mid Morning Matters 2 doesn't matter!, 17 Oct. 2016
I am a huge Partridge fan and have been since the early 90s. I have watched everything multiple times and laughed myself silly over the years. The peak was the audiobook of I, Partridge...definitely one of my desert island discs. Since then, we've had a couple of specials ...Welcome to the places of my life and Open Books, which were amusing, but not great. I didn't worry too much because they were more like side dishes rather than the main course. Unfortunately, and to my horror, Mid Morning Matters 2 is the least funny thing Partridge/Coogan has ever done. I can't recall laughing even once at the entire series!!! It's Alan by numbers, and comes across like it was written by fans of Partridge, trying to imitate that style of comedy, but without any real talent...which is mind-boggling give that is was written by Coogan, and the Gibbons Brothers, who together wrote the masterpiece I, Partridge. It's time to get Iannucci back (he's done with Veep), maybe even Baynham or Marber, and say to the Gibbons, thanks for everything, hit the road. It confirms what I suspected about Coogan...he does lack a bit of quality control, and seems to be getting a bit too fond of Alan as a person, whereas Iannucci can't stand Alan!

Oh, I do remember one laugh...Simon mentions Fred West, and Alan sighs, exasperated..."that man". Now that is Alan, the rest is dirge.

The Final Countdown
The Final Countdown

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 80s album that hasn't dated, 16 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Final Countdown (Audio CD)
Possible the best pop/rock 80s hair-metal keyboard-heavy album of all time (if that is indeed a category!). It's funny I always skip the title track because I've heard it too many times, and it's like a novelty hit, whereas I think the rest of the album really shows how good a band Europe are. Each of the other eight songs is a stone cold classic (apart from Heart of Stone which is a bit filler-y)...they are infectiously catchy songs, great riffs, vocals, melodies, and songs like Carrie are packed with real emotion. Joey Tempest sings great throughout, and plays fantastic keyboards that actually sit nicely in the songs rather than standing out....John Norum, is a virtuoso guitarist with taste, not an easy find when you think of 80s rock. Even something like Cherokee, which should be naff as hell, is one of the albums stand-out tracks. 10/10

The Office: An American Workplace - Season 1-9 Complete [DVD] [2014]
The Office: An American Workplace - Season 1-9 Complete [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Rainn Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for all the laughs :), 14 Oct. 2016
This was one of the most consistently funny shows of the past decade. Steve Carrell is a genius, and his and Rainn Wilson's energy elevated the whole show, and the suporting cast, to dizzying heights of comedy. Season 1 is almost a shot for shot remake of the English version, but from season 2 up until Kathy Bates introduction in season 6, the office was consistently the best comedy on tv. If started going downhill near the end of season 6, and, probably sensing this, Carrell jumped ship in season 7. After that, most episodes were painful (I particularly disliked the attention given to Ed Helms and Ellie Kemper's characters, who I could never stand for too long), but season 9 was a marked improvement. The introduction of some young blood in the form of Pete and Clark (love him!) in this season gave it a boost, there were a lot of wacky entertaining episodes, and everybody pulled together to give the show a good send off (with Carrell returning for a final episode - I cried; love you Michael Scott). Look out for the character of Trevor in the final season - one of my favs.

Heaven & Hell
Heaven & Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars Dio is God, Sabbath are his disciples, 14 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Heaven & Hell (Audio CD)
I was never much of a Sabbath fan - i love their sound and Tony Iommi's guitar riffs but Ozzy's voice always put me off. Here with Dio's first album with them, I can finally love them. What a voice! And the guitar sound, production etc is amazing, best Sabbath sound on record. I give this album 5 stars based on Children of the Sea, Lady Evil, and the amazing title track, Heaven and Hell. The rest is meh, but i think if a rock band can have one great song on an album, they get my attention, if there is 3 then I am a fan. This is the sound of a rejuvenated band, and Dio's presence really gets the best out of Iommi, Butler and Ward. Now if only Dio had re-recorded the entire Sabbath catelogue prior to this, then I'm sure I would have been a massive fan of the band.

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas [DVD] [1977] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas [DVD] [1977] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, poignant and charming, 16 Dec. 2014
Emmet Otter's JBC is a wonderful charming story about a poor but upbeat otter widow and her son, who decide to enter the local talent contest in order to buy each other a nice christmas present. There are great quirky characters and amazing music throughout (Paul Williams take a bow - I feel like I knew the songs for years after just a couple of listens. I especially love Bar-b-que with Harvey Beaver rocking it on washboard and kazoo!). I actually think it's the best thing that Jim Henson has ever done, and I never thought I'd see anything of his that would beat a muppet family christmas for heart-warming story, music and charm, but Emmet just shades it. There is a very entertaining hour-long documentary included on this dvd, as well as some very funny out-takes and deleted scenes. I wish I could give this 10 stars!

Ravensburger Disney Christmas Eve Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Ravensburger Disney Christmas Eve Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Nov. 2014
Absolutely beautiful jigsaw.

Puzzle Mates Portapuzzle Jigsaw Accessory (1000 Pieces)
Puzzle Mates Portapuzzle Jigsaw Accessory (1000 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product, but I would prefer if the main ..., 30 Nov. 2014
This is a great product, but I would prefer if the main part, where you lay the jigsaw, was more solid and less bendy. A small gripe though.

Eastbound and Down - Season 4 [DVD] [2014]
Eastbound and Down - Season 4 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Danny McBride

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible way to go out - what a shame, 5 May 2014
Eastbound has probably been my favourite comedy of the past few years (along with anything Alan Partridge) - I love Kenny Powers' delusions about himself and the beautiful American vulgarity in this show. Kenny is up there with Fawlty, Partridge, Brent etc in terms of a nightmarish character and I have rewatched the first 3 seasons loads of times because there are so many jokes and quips that you can miss on a single viewing. I couldn't understand why they did a fourth season given that they had wrapped it up so well at the end of season 3. This feels so tacked on and underwritten. I don't recall laughing much at anything in this season and by the end of it Kenny and Stevie were just annoying, stupid jerks without any redeeming features. I am so glad I bought the box set of the first three seasons so I can act like this abomination never happened (kind of like the last series of The Thick Of It!).

Man of Steel [DVD]
Man of Steel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, pleasantly surprised!, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Man of Steel [DVD] (DVD)
First of all I have to state that I am a huge fan of the old Superman movies and thought that this new movie would be ponderous and boring like the recent Batman movies (which I found very disappointing), hence I gave it a miss when it was in the cinema. I watched it on the train yesterday on a small screen with rubbish sound and I could still tell that it is in fact probably the best superhero movie I have ever seen (a title I previously gave to Superman 2, although I do tend to overlook that movies flaws based on some nostalgia for that era!). The script is great, Cavill is excellent as Superman and all the supporting cast are superb. A couple of minor criticisms: the character of Perry White and his scenes are pretty unnecessary in this film, although he will obviously play a bigger role in the sequel. Also there is maybe a bit too much repetition with the action scenes towards the end, but that's a small complaint as this is probably the first time that I was actually grateful for CGI in a movie because Superman's capabilities are pretty unlimited so it was cool to see some of the things he's capable of in great detail. At the end of the day when I go to a popcorn movie like this I want to be entertained, and I would say I was 100% entertained by this movie (the only other recent movie I've seen that did that was The Conjuring).

Can't wait for the sequel - hope there's not too much Batman though!

Steve Coogan Live - As Alan Partridge And Other Less Successful Characters [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Coogan still the best, 7 July 2013
5 stars alone for pauline calf reading extracts from her book "she shat herself"! Tommy Saxondale is a tiresome character, doesn't work live at all. Duncan Thicket is one of my favs but too short in this show. Alan is good, but Alan is always good. Overall (so called) sub-standard Coogan is miles better than the rest.

Page: 1 | 2