Profile for Ryan O'neill > Reviews

Content by Ryan O'neill

Ryan O'neill (Ludlow, UK)

You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are rational, don't bother., 19 July 2017
If you like 'wacky woo' stuff where you believe in just wishing and a greater power will deliver your hearts desire, this book is for you. If you need proof, evidence and well reasoned arguments, stay away.

This book may work for you if you are turned off by logic, I mean that sincerely. If you have however any kind of rudimentary education, it will put your nose out of joint.

I'm a positive person and I very much dislike negativity, it's hard to write this review but I'm so annoyed by it's bold statement of pseudo facts. The only thing I dislike more than negativity is New Age BS and this is featured heavily. Just a few pages in and we get the 'Law of Attraction' which is easily discredited. To sum up 'The Law', if you are not getting good stuff, it's your fault for not thinking positively. If bad stuff is happening to you, it's your fault too. Crippling poverty, terminal disease or born into slavery? That's your fault according to this logic, just cheer up!

It also insists 'The universe is made up of Source Energy' which is embedded with another slew of psychobabble. I really can't stomach such utter rubbish and it is extremely rare that I'm driven to write a review, but this is so wrong that I just have to say something lest anyone take it seriously.

I was hoping for a book that discussed positivity, how to work through daily goals while feeling good and focusing on a positive view of the world. If it kept away from stating daft science facts, it could have worked but it left me distrusting it completely by rehashing The Secret / The Law of Attraction and made up sciency BS.

I should have known what to expect from a book with such a title. Lots of swearing and trying too hard to be funny.

NEW TRUESHOPPING® 52CC 'TOTAL GARDENERX5' PETROL LONG REACH MULTI FUNCTION 5 IN1 GARDEN TOOL INCLUDING: HEDGE TRIMMER, STRIMMER, BRUSHCUTTER, CHAINSAW PRUNER & FREE EXTENSION POLE 2-STROKE 2.2KW 3HP
Offered by Big Home Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Very problematic on starting, avoid if you value your time, 25 Jun. 2017
I read the reviews before I bought, quite a few said 'hard to start'. I ignored them at my peril. Just had the unit running and stopped it to extend the strimmer wire and it will not start again after 20 minutes of following the advice in the manual and doing what I normally do.

The manual even says 'it may take some time to start'. It's just a badly engineered product that will waste hours of your life. In future I'll avoid multi-tools and buy decent standard tools instead.

USB Freeview HD TV Tuner - August DVB-T210 - Watch Digital Television in Full HD on Laptop and Desktop Computers - External Televison Card for Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not usable in Windows, 15 Jan. 2017
Blue screens under Windows 10 when scanning for channels.
The awful software included to view live broadcasts would also not start as it kept moaning about the resolution, there was no way round this problem as compatibility mode or low resolutions would not fix it.

Overall, another example of a very shoddy piece of cheap Chinese kit with a badly written driver that is forgotten as soon as it is shipped.

Can't fault the seller, they delivered on time and product was as described.

Plantronics Backbeat Pro Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones with Mic
Plantronics Backbeat Pro Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones with Mic

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and really nice to use, 2 Feb. 2016
Nearly perfect. Nice rotary volume control, physical on / off switch, previous / next rotary switch, unobtrusive microphone, push button pause, auto pause when you take them off them, verbal prompts, pairs to your PC and phone easily. All the things I wanted but couldn't find in any other headphones.

The only thing that could be better would be if they had wireless charging, but they run for 24 hours anyway.

Version Control with Git: Powerful tools and techniques for collaborative software development
by Jon Loeliger

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, could be improved by including more detail on OSX and Windows with some links to graphical tools., 3 Jan. 2013
An easy read and makes a lot of sense for someone with existing version control knowledge (Subversion, CVS etc.).

If you are starting from scratch and have not used source control before then you'll find all the new concepts too overwhelming. That's not an issue with the book, it's just not pitched at the beginner level.

The content is primarily focussed on the Linux tools but that's not a problem as these have all been ported to the other platforms (client installation is covered early on). Because of this Linux focus the graphical tools are not shown which would be an easier way in for non-command line oriented developers. To get a decent understanding of Git I'm going to be using the command line for a month anyway.

My (minor) gripes over with, I would really recommend this book is used as a training aid, working through a chapter every day perhaps (some chapters are heavy or can be skimmed, you can always come back to them later). New concepts and terminology are covered well which is really useful as I'd no idea what Stash, Rebase and Reflog were about.

If I could have a wishlist for the 3rd edition it would be to include chapters on both Windows and OSX, plus a chapter on the top rated graphical clients.

In summary, buy this book. If you are new to source control or just don't like the command line, supplement it with a decent graphical toolset such as TortoiseGit (you can find tons of them for most platforms at[...]

Existence
Existence

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concepts, too much made up lingo, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Existence (Kindle Edition)
I found this book hard to read as it came across as a mix between serious science fiction and The Fifth Element. The Fifth Element aspect was very distracting and annoying due to the amount of made up words; for example, attempting to insert the acronym AI into as many other words as possible.

In other places (not enough for me though) the author was clear, readable and enjoyable when the daft slang was dropped.

The concepts covered were very intriguing and some were new to me, so it was an interesting read anyway. Not great, but not terrible either.

Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health
Fitness for Geeks: Real Science, Great Nutrition, and Good Health
by Bruce W. Perry

4.0 out of 5 stars In depth fitness reference, 19 Jun. 2012
I found it hard to start this book because it meant I'd have to do something about my pot belly which is exactly the reason why I needed to read it. Not wanting to give up my beer or actually do anything approaching physical work I finally got to opening it up and was surprised that I enjoyed it.

First thing, it's for geeks as the title says. The blurb says any kind of geek (someone obsessive about a subject) but it tends towards software speak which might go over a lot of non computer geeks heads. Having said that, there is a lot of good advice that is understandable to all. Widgets and gadgets used to be the domain of proper geeks, now everyone uses them and there is a good chapter on these and how they can aid your progress tracking.

The content ranges from evolutionary fitness (is sitting in front of a screen really what we are evolved for) to a comprehensive discussion on food science (what are carbohydrates, High Fructose Corn Syrup etc) with plenty of other content (interviews, food choices, gadget guides, exercises).

It can be very heavy going if you read it cover to cover but used as a reference manual or to help you plan your diet, activity or sloth a bit at a time then it works well.

In summary, if you want to track, report and manage your exercise regime in detail then this book has plenty of advice on what to look for and possibly what to buy. It's not a page turner, but then is any exercise book? Although it says it is for nerds of all sorts, you'll need to skip the computer bits if you are not a software developer.

So, have I lost my pot belly? Nope, I'm already following a lot of the advice anyway and for me personally, it just boils down to eat less and exercise more (more than walking the dog anyway).

The Web Startup Success Guide (Books for Professionals by Professionals)
The Web Startup Success Guide (Books for Professionals by Professionals)
by Bob Walsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a to do list for a online startup., 22 Jan. 2010
I've been taking my time reading this book as I've got so much out of it, I keep pausing to try out the ideas. It is not a typical computer book, it's for people who have plenty of ideas and are looking to put them into practice in starting up a new web based business. Targeted at software developers turned entrepreneur it also works well for anyone servicing customers over the web and trying to create a decent online presence.

The book is very motivating and well written. The author Bob Walsh also publishes a free podcast on the subject of startups (The Startup Success Podcast) so you can see if what he has to say is of interest before shelling out for the book.

I would definitely recommend this book as it is very useful in helping plan your startup and hopefully will save you a bundle of mistakes.

Iphone For Work: Increasing Productivity For Busy Professionals (Books For Professionals By Professionals)
by Ryan J. Faas

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing iPhone manual, 31 Oct. 2009
I thought I knew pretty much all there was to know about the iPhone but I'm happy to say that I've found out a few more tricks thanks to this book. For example, did you know that you can take a screenshot by using an obscure (almost Windows like) button combination? Or that you can set up a WiFi network between your iPhone and Mac without a wireless router? You might have known how to, but I didn't and judging by the lack of Apple documentation I guess a lot of other people are missing out a fair chunk of detail too.

It starts simple (too simple for me, but great for people who don't spend all day playing with computers) by walking the user through activating the phone, sending text and making basic calls. I skimmed these bits and got straight to the WiFi, Exchange, Calendar and LDAP sections which you'll need to know if you want to sync the iPhone with a corporate network.

Although the book is targeted more at the general iPhone user than IT professionals I think alpha geeks will learn a thing or two from it as well and afterwards they can give it to their relatives to lessen the support load. Apple should have shipped this book with the iPhone but I suppose it won't fit into a trendy little black box in a non-shredded form!

The best tip I got from the book means I can now control my laptop slideshows from the iPhone without worrying about needing a router (something that not all venues have).