Profile for outdoors del > Reviews

outdoors del

Page: 1 | 2
Rachmaninov: Symphony No 3
Rachmaninov: Symphony No 3

4.0 out of 5 stars A great performance and very idiomatic as you would expect from ..., 7 May 2016
A great performance and very idiomatic as you would expect from a Russian conductor. I confess I still prefer the 2nd Symphony but this is still a tuneful and exciting work. Petrenko has done great things with the Liverpool orchestra, but perhaps the strings still don't quite have the warmth and panache that you might expect from world class ensembles. But with an excellent modern recording this is a CD that won't disappoint you.

Who Weeps For Strangers
Who Weeps For Strangers

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but disturbing if you run the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, 19 Feb. 2015
Interesting if you are involved with mountain rescue or the Duke of Edinburgh's Award. The court cases get a bit involved and should probably be shorter, but the arguments are well set out. As a D of E Supervisor/Co-ordinator/Assessor of many years experience I personally doubt the veracity of the story (yes, I know it's a novel!). I don't think the case would ever have reached a court. The girls were totally respobsible in my opinion and I don't think a spervisor can in any way be held responsible for the accident and subsequent mistakes they made. Indeed it's somewhat worried me to think that it might happen as in the novel, but in my experience the supervisor could not be regarded as negligent in his duty of care. The Award has a necessary element of risk attached to it and the supervisor in this case did more than is normally expected in this role.
But is was a good read!

Sony MDR-EX650 Earphones with Brass Housing, Smartphone Mic and Control
Sony MDR-EX650 Earphones with Brass Housing, Smartphone Mic and Control
Offered by ASK

4.0 out of 5 stars Pity about the cable!, 20 Jan. 2015
The earphones are clearly well made, though I'm not sure the cable is very robust. It gets just as tangled as usual too. I'm impressed with the sound quality which is full, clear and well balanced throughout the frequency range. There's a good bass without being in the Dr Dre dreaded experience. I suspect the sound will get slightly better with more use too. The disappointment to me is the noise generated by the cable brushing against clothing. If you sit still it's fine, but I really wanted to use them when walking and the noise is then very distracting. I found myself holding the cable away from my clothing with a spare hand, which frankly felt as silly as it looked. So I fear they will only be used when sedentary, hence only 4 stars.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2015 11:56 AM BST

Daffodil CAP102 Car 12V Power Socket Splitter / Dual Cigarette Lighter Adaptor / In-car Multicharge Double Plug 2 Outlets

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer clear!, 17 Jun. 2013
Looks well made, but worked for one minute then neither output would work in either vehicle I used. Amazon told me to throw it away which is exactly what I wanted to do with it. Steer clear of cheap rubbish!

Bartok: Works for Violin and Piano, Vol. 1
Bartok: Works for Violin and Piano, Vol. 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning playing, 10 Mar. 2013
James is one of my favourite vionlists, He always produces a fabulous warm tone from his Strad. Technically he is amazing (I heard him live recently at the Wigmore Hall) and that is coupled with supreme musicianship. But I think this CD needs to be sampled in small doses as an all Bartok programme can be quite hard going.

Kensington 33374EU Wireless 2.4 GHz USB Presenter and Red Laser Pointer, Compatible with PowerPoint and KeyNote - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 10 Mar. 2013
I've used this now on many occasions when giving Power Point presentations. It works extremely well and even when some way from the projector. The laser 'dot' is helpful too. Sadly it wouldn't change pictures for slideshows.

Philips SHB9100/00 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black/White
Philips SHB9100/00 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black/White
Offered by DREAM FIELD

3.0 out of 5 stars Only fair, 10 Mar. 2013
Great not to have wires that constantly tangle. But the audio quality was only fair. At that price non bluetooth headphones should be better. As sound matters more to me that the convenience of having no cable, they went back.

One Shot (Jack Reacher, Book 9)
One Shot (Jack Reacher, Book 9)

3.0 out of 5 stars Improbable entertainment, 2 Jan. 2013
If you are looking for undemanding read then this is OK. If you want real literature look elsewhere! But it was suitable Christmas reading..

Kolay Flip Case Cover for Apple iPod Nano 7th Generation - Black
Kolay Flip Case Cover for Apple iPod Nano 7th Generation - Black
Offered by iDelta UK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars It will do for the moment, 26 Dec. 2012
A good fit and protects the Nano very well. Not leather of course, but you can hardly expect leather at this price. Very few products exist for the latest iPods and I was anxious to find something to protect my device. I'm sure leather products will appear soon and I'll probably upgrade when they do.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2013 11:42 PM GMT

6.35mm Socket to 3.5mm Plug Adapter ** PREMIUM Quality All Metal + Gold Plated Adapter ** Stage Quality - Stereo Connectors - Convert 6.3 to 3.5 for Headphones, PC, Laptop and More - Indigo Banana Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless, 26 Dec. 2012
Looks good, but doesn't fit well in Apple sockets so is useless and has been thrown away. Hardly worth the hassle of getting my money back! But if you want it for iPhone/iPod/iPad look elsewhere!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2012 3:04 PM GMT