Profile for L. Higgs > Reviews

Content by L. Higgs

L. Higgs "deludedillusion" (Nottingham, UK)

Child of Light [PC Code - Uplay]
Child of Light [PC Code - Uplay]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Just brilliant, 17 Oct. 2015
Brilliant. Just brilliant. It's not long, it's not huge, but it's got probably the best soundtrack of any game I have ever played and it's hugely emotional. It's the first thing I've got immersed in for ages. Buy this

Ten Thousand Fists
Ten Thousand Fists

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 20 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Ten Thousand Fists (Audio CD)
I've had the sickness since I saw DIsturbed at Ozzfest, the best act there at the time. Since then I've fallen out of the scene a bit, I'm more of an indie/alt fan really, but I do like to return to a bit of metal on the odd occasion, so I looked disturbed up recently and got this. I am blown away. I like The Sickness, but this is something else, this is brilliant. Such a lot goes into each song. I can imagine they'll be even better live now, and I realy want to see them. I'd recommend this album to anyone.

Light and Shade
Light and Shade
Offered by Tracksounds-es

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is great, 2 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Light and Shade (Audio CD)
I'm writing this review not as a great fan of Oldfield, as many reviewers obviously are, but as a general music enthusiast who enjoys his work. I've not sampled anything by him apart from Tubular Bells 1 and 2, and I like them a lot, but I prefer this. It's really great chilled out music, which by turns fades into the background and suddenly catches you out when you're not really concentrating, making you think 'I really want to hear that bit again!'
Fantastic background music. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Tubular Bells.

Odditorium Or Warlords Of Mars
Odditorium Or Warlords Of Mars
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars What's with all these bad reviews?, 11 May 2007
Right, I need to give this album 5 stars just to raise the average a little bit! To the outsider, the Dandy's have 4 albums with 4.5 stars and then this, with 2.5. IT DOES NOT DESERVE THAT!

Personally, this is my favourite Dandy's album! No wait, what about 13 Tales? Oh, and Dandy's Rule... and Monkey House... OK I like all those four equally, just above Come Down which I don't rate quite as highly. Yes, this album is a little self indulgent, but can't a group who have produced several good albums afford to be a little self indulgent? Did anyone tell Pink Floyd off for Wish You Were Here? (Feel free to point out they recieved plenty of backlash for The Wall).

I find this album intensely listenable to, unless I try to concentrate just a little bit too hard on it. For example if I'm driving it's no good, I'll stick on 13 Tales or Monkey House... but I wont play with Dandys Rule either. Dandys Rule and Odditorium are what I like to listen to when I'm chillin, or maybe doing some of my research work. They work well stuck on and left, no tracks skipped, listening in the backgorund.

I just don't get some of the criticism levelled here. Love Is The New Feel Awful is NOT too long, I love it all the way to the end. The quirky songs are NOT too jokey, they break up the longer pieces. And to the person who has a problem with the names the band call their songs and even themselves... get a grip will you?!

In fact, the only minor issue that I have with this album is that nothing really stands out in the way that Junkie does on Come Down, Fast Driving Rave Up does on Dandys Rule, Bohemian Like You does on 13 Tales and The Last High does on Monkey House.

So, rant over. But it was time to give another perspective on this album from among the nay-sayers.

BUY IT!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2009 12:39 AM BST

Dimension
Dimension

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much a band to watch!, 8 April 2006
This review is from: Dimension (Audio CD)
Dimensions is one of several EPs released by Aussie trio Wolfmother, and it can only be described as an exciting prospect of things to come. From the opening, almost catlike yowl produced by frontman Andrew Stockdale through to the fading twangs of the final track, this offering is filled with wild, raw energy, haunting melody and brilliant vocals.
Although probably a coincidence, the name Dimensions is a good indication that the EP contains very different songs, and the listener is not disappointed. This listener is at turns energised by the rocky guitar of Dimension, and may find themselves subconsciously bopping the quite funky beat of Love Train. Mind's Eye is a melodic ballad which builds into an unexpectedly keyboard-led climax, and The Earth's Rotation Around The Sun is a complex instrumental piece to end the album, with wildly varying beats and moody guitar.
With a full length album coming soon, and a spot on the main stage at Leeds/Reading Festival, there is definitely a lot to watch out for from this excellent band!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars I want to like this, but..., 15 Jan. 2005
I'm probably not alone in having my first exposure to the Scissor Sisters as hearing Comfortably Numb on the radio. I'd hope I'm also not alone in my reaction. I was shocked. How could they bastardize such a goos song in such a way? Since then, I've heard the rest of the album, and the sad thing is that mostly I quite like it. Take Your Momma is a particularly funky song. I find Laura and Mary a little overplayed, but some other album tracks are pretty good. However, I can never forgive the Scissor Sisters for what they did to Floyd.