Profile for Johnny B > Reviews

Content by Johnny B

Johnny B "Johnny B" (London UK)

Flylite Foldaway Cabin Bag - easyJet /Ryanair Compliant
Flylite Foldaway Cabin Bag - easyJet /Ryanair Compliant
Offered by Flylite

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and service, 26 Oct. 2015
I bought two of these direct from Flylite. I needed to squash my backpack into Ryanair dimensions the following day. The gentleman I dealt with was fantastic and sorted out next day delivery and included their promotional gift of a free ultralight back pack.

The cases were fantastic, certainly sturdy and easy to carry. All all the straps and buckles of my own loaded hiking pack fitted in the bag and so passed the Ryanair dimensions test and saved me the time and money of checking a bag in the hold. (At the time if you didn't book luggage at the time of the flight it was £50 each way so the bags easily payed for themselves). They survived the trip to Spain and still look new - I will definitely be using them in future.

I used the back pack extensively on a separate cycling trip where it acted as a general purpose bag for sightseeing. It too was sturdy and very light yet carried everything needed for a day out.

I was very pleased with the bags and delighted with the service

Komputerbay 32GB Class 10 SDHC Ultra High Speed Memory Card
Komputerbay 32GB Class 10 SDHC Ultra High Speed Memory Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and reasonable cost, 6 Jan. 2012
Works fine. Slight "funny" is that 2 identical cards have slightly different available bytes (which made a difference to me for various reasons).

It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff
It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff
by Peter Walsh

4.0 out of 5 stars The choice is yours, 27 Nov. 2011
Peter Walsh does a good job of connecting motivation and value to the process - this tends to be the only way changes stick. There is reasonable coverage of getting agreement about shared spaces and possessions - though the issue of what to do if this agreement isn't forthcoming possibly can't be resolved!

Mozart: The String Quintets
Mozart: The String Quintets

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound Amadeus - as usual, 15 Feb. 2011
The Amadeus seem to do their "normal" (very good) somewhat understated renditions of these passionate pieces. This is pretty satisfying to my ear, and a worthwhile addition to the vinyl recording by the Griller that I have.

Beethoven: The Late String Quartets
Beethoven: The Late String Quartets

5.0 out of 5 stars Busch bliss, 15 Feb. 2011
I used to have the vinyl renditions of these fabulous performances. The version here is remastered and has what seems to be a light level of noise removal. This is probably as good as can be achieved without damaging the sound.

Regardless of noise, the Busch recordings are up there with, & frequently surpass modern recordings.

I do wish the digital recordings on mp3 had decent metadata supplied with them. I miss the album art and notes, and it would be straightforward to provide these.

Techwise Flash MP3 Player 1GB with FM Radio, USB2.0,  Blue
Techwise Flash MP3 Player 1GB with FM Radio, USB2.0, Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 1 Dec. 2009
Does what it does fairly well, just make sure your expectations fit the size of screen.

Could be managed fine from Winamp.

Reason for making it a 3* is that it has a second or two delay between tracks in which I can hear some noise.

Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro) -- Glyndebourne [DVD] [1999] [2001]
Dvd ~ Gerald Finley

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven on earth, 4 Nov. 2009
I've had this around 10 years now, and it's still transporting me in safe and legal ways!

Given that this is a live performance, with scenes in semi-darkness, I'm astounded by the audio and video quality, even allowing for the fact the recording is 15 years old.

The production is just so good with no major weaknesses to my eyes & ears, that any minor imperfections, or I would have done that differently, just fade into insignificance. It really doesn't matter, this is so wonderful, enjoy.

Twelfth Night: SmartPass Teacher Audio Education Resource: Full-cast Dramatisation
by William Shakespeare
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Smartpass makes studying a play entertaining and fun, 1 Feb. 2009
SmartPass is great audio format and easy to access for a variety of kids
I facilitate 10 home educated students studying English for GCSE. The SmartPass material for Twelfth Night really helped the group to enjoy and understand the play. They achieved good grades for the Shakespeare component of their coursework, and all scored B or above.
The SmartPass material we used consisted of two audio presentations of a fully dramatised production of Twelfth Night. One version contains the play and integrated commentary, the other is an uninterrupted rendition. At first I thought the commentary would be intrusive, however, after only a few minutes listening I was "hooked" and realised that I was enjoying both commentary and play. More importantly my daughter was also engrossed and learned far more from listening to the commentary than she ever would from me.
The commentator or "Passmaster" puts the action into context and highlights themes, symbols and motifs as they arise in the play. I found her voice very engaging which is important in a primarily audio product. Full transcripts of both the play and commentary are also provided as PDF files. This helps in searching and making notes. The teachers pack also contains suggestions for interesting group activities. These additional features are helpful in supporting curriculum and specification study by the teacher.
My group is unusual in that we have few formal lessons with a "proper" teacher and hence study the play at home. Some students struggle with text because of dyslexic tendencies and SmartPass helped them to study Twelfth Night on their own without that stress.
The material is a provided in MP3 format which means it can be used on portable music players/phones or CDs. The beauty of this delivery is that the audio can be appreciated in short sections anywhere according to the student's concentration and environment. In fact my daughter happily listened to the SmartPass rendition of Macbeth in the car even though she wasn't studying that play and other entertainment was available.
I was impressed with the SmartPass material for Twelfth Night and Macbeth and would recommend them for study and enjoyment.

The Complete Essays
The Complete Essays
by Michel de Montaigne

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost complete satisfaction, 24 July 2008
This review is from: The Complete Essays (Paperback)
This is one of the most fantastic privileges a person could have - to listen to, and be touched by - a dead French nobleman from over 400 years ago.

Not only is the work wonderful, the translation is highly consistent and careful over the breadth of the volume - and if you ever needed a book on a desert island, this could be it.

Complete satisfaction may be closely approximated, for some - alledgedly - by a slightly over-ripe banana, I'd suggest this is even closer.