Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now George Michael - MTV Replugged Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for PhiloBedo > Reviews

Content by PhiloBedo

PhiloBedo

Cat's Cradle (Penguin Modern Classics)
Cat's Cradle (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Kurt Vonnegut

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the negative comments state, 13 April 2011
Having read most of KV's book now I feel that this is his equal best - if not his best. Better than the supposed great of 'Slaughterhouse Five' which has too much Tralfamadore sci-fi for my tastes. This may be light and in a near first person perspective (I originally thought it was first person like Timequake), but it's great story. It reminds me of the 'Old Man and the Sea' in the way that it only uses the words required to write the story. It doesn't try to be too wordy for the sake of it.
Please read this with an open mind and let the story flow. It might be dated to some people, but I feel there are references which could be considered modern in there. The island is almost taken from 'Lost' in it's religious overtones and historical concepts (people washing up on shore and fighting for control throughout time) and the people are real with honest stories which are driven by their bare emotions (love, desire and longing for them normal life which constantly evades them). I particularly like the concept of a religion which appears to offer to tell all, but is tells nothing (a bit like every episode of Lost) and provides no more insight than a fortune cookie.
The only negative is the clumsy way the incident which causes the near-end of the world happens. It does feel like many chapters are conducted in a few pages. But that's it - apart from that it ranks along side Albert Camus 'The Insider' as one of my favourite books. I only wish 'd read Kurt's novel's when I was in my teen's.
I hope it provides the same joy to you too (time and time again)!!!