Profile for Andrew Long > Reviews

Content by Andrew Long

Andrew Long "I know what I like & I like what I know!" (Hertfordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
by Bernard Cornwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read but shame about the maps!, 1 Nov. 2015
I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit of military history I hadn't explored properly and Bernard's writing style was excellent; informative, well researched and easy to read - in fact it read much like a thriller and on occasions I struggled to put it down! I might even be tempted to try his novels. I'm loathed to give it 4 stars but the paperback edition was let down by the maps. I hope somebody from the publishers reads this because this is a common fault with military histories. Such books benefit from referring to maps. It doesn't matter what century you're reading about; battles take place over land (or sea or in the air!) and generally involve going from A to B, trying to destroy the enemy and it's interesting to put this in the context of the geography. Paperbacks tend to be printed on reasonably poor quality paper and maps are generally shown in black & white. Therefore the necessary coding and annotation is also in black & white. You end up with the grey army attacking the grey army over the grey terrain, helped by the grey army coming in from the left flank. Really hard to keep track of. All publishers will have websites. As will most authors. No doubt maps will be produced in colour and then converted to greyscale at the print stage so why not make the original maps available on-line for readers to download? They can be printed out bigger at home - at least twice the size of a typical paperback - and in colour making the reading experience all the more informative and enjoyable. All you then need to do is put a little flash on the cover and small reference on each map (or even a QR code) and the reader can dig a bit deeper if he so chooses. Why not add extra illustrations or photos at the same time? It makes the book a lot more saleable (especially if being used for serious research) at virtually no cost. I've enjoyed Antony Beevor's amazing 'Stalingrad' & 'Berlin' and have had similar frustrations. I've a pile of other military history books and guess what - the maps are all in grey again. COME ON PUBLISHERS - get into the digital and interactive age and give your readers more reasons to buy your books!

Alba Architect Double Arm Desk Lamp Black
Alba Architect Double Arm Desk Lamp Black
Offered by 3WM Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars I wanted one with along reach to go over my monitors and this one's perfect. Came very well packaged and all the components ..., 4 Dec. 2014
Pleasantly surprised with this desk lamp. I wanted one with along reach to go over my monitors and this one's perfect. Came very well packaged and all the components seem pretty solid apart from perhaps how the light fits to the base. Possibly a bit flimsy there. However it looks good, is working fine and teamed with an LED daylight bulb, I'm sorted!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking little alarm clock!, 6 Nov. 2013
Very pleased with this clock. It's completely silent and the alarm is easy to use & effective, but the thing I like the best is the residual glow of the screen - not too much that it illuminates the whole bedroom - but enough to quickly orientate yourself and check what unwelcome hour of the night you've woken up in! I'm very short sighted so without my glasses I can't see very much, but the glow of the face is like a full moon in the blurry haze of my room. With a small shift of my head and a squint of the eyes I can make out the time & see how long before the alarm goes off. The full dial illumination button on top is seldom needed thanks to the residual glow and the alarm button is easy to find and positive in use. Best alarm clock I've had in years!

Expower(TM) White Wireless Charging Pad Powermat Mat Qi Standard Charger for Google Nexus 5 and Google Nexus 7 II FHD Tablet and Google Nexus 4 Samsung galaxy note3 S4 and Iphone5S Iphone5 Nokia Lumia 920 , Lumia 820

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent solution!, 6 Nov. 2013
We got one of these mats for my wife & son's new Nexus 4 phones. What a great idea - wish there was one for my iPhone! A few of the reviews moaned about having to carefully position the phone on the surface, which you do, but as long as you correctly orientate the phone and align the top of the phone with the top of the mat, then you're fine. The mat also acts as a 'base station' so we always know where it is and that it's always charged. Seems well made to me and we're pretty gadgeted out! A good piece of kit in our opinion!

Red and Green Life Machine: Diary of the Falklands Field Hospital
Red and Green Life Machine: Diary of the Falklands Field Hospital
by Rick Jolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid memoir, 6 Nov. 2013
Just finished reading Rick Jolly's book. I saw the documentary about Rick & the team on the History Channel & ordered a well thumbed second hand copy off Amazon as his book appears to be out of print. It's written in a diary format and the short chapters and relaxed conversational style make it very easy to read. I read it pretty much in a day & a half on & off. Their incredible feat of endurance in seemingly impossible conditions is truly inspirational. I was in my late teens during the Falklands war and was aware enough of the news for it to make a real impact on me. Also as a fan of the M*A*S*H series, it was fascinating to read how humour managed to get them through their hardships. Incredible dedication, skill and devotion, many many miles from home. And how British Naval & Military professionalism and customs were maintained in a very difficult environment. There were many heros from this conflict, but these amazing doctors, nurses and soldiers really worked a miracle in the mud & dust of Ajax Bay. A really good read!

CaseGuru Slim Line Pocket Drop Pouch for Amazon Kindle 6' £ 69 eReader (black)
CaseGuru Slim Line Pocket Drop Pouch for Amazon Kindle 6' £ 69 eReader (black)
Offered by Case Guru

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 6 Nov. 2013
Fits the Kindle snugly and protects it well against knocks & scratches. Very pleased and does the job well. Not much more I can say, to be honest. Er ... it's black & made from a sort of neoprene material!

Koolertron Unisex Men Womens Canvas Leather Cross Body Retro Messenger Bag Traval Shoulder Bag DSLR Camera Bag School Bag Purse Fits 10 Inch Laptop(Size one, khaki)
Offered by kastonecorp

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal 'Man bag'!, 6 Nov. 2013
Loving my new 'Man bag'! My previous bag wasn't quite big enough but this one is spot on - easily enough room for my iPad (Mini or full size), my Kindle and/or a book (depending on what I'm reading at the time), mobile, camera, wallet & headphones. With room to spare. I even managed to fit in an 11" MacBook Air (extra justification to buy one!). The 2 external pockets mean you can easily access things like phone & wallet, or use the zipped pocket inside if you want to be more secure. There are 2 small fabric pockets as well inside, which I've found useful for the headphone cable & bits & bobs. The canvas is soft but looks as though it's going to be hard wearing. Nice soft fabric lining. The zips & fittings look pretty tough. The strap is plenty long enough for me to wear it across my body & it's pretty comfortable. I like it that they've left the webbing open behind the press studs so you can squeeze just the webbing and not have to squash what ever's in your bag - hard to describe but it's a clever feature. All in all, it's just the job for me! Excellent value for money.

Wenko 3440030100 Textile Fabric Laundry Bin Lipstick, 24 x 54 x 34 cm, Pink
Wenko 3440030100 Textile Fabric Laundry Bin Lipstick, 24 x 54 x 34 cm, Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, 2 Jun. 2013
So far so good - no 1 daughter has put all dirty washing in this rather than on the floor - yippee!!

Beside the Rose Petal Beach
Beside the Rose Petal Beach

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 2 Jun. 2013
As usual an absolute cracker from Dorothy! Really kept me turning the pages and didn't expect the ending!! Keep the, coming Dorothy!!

Dreambaby Stop Slam (White)
Dreambaby Stop Slam (White)
Offered by SAFETOTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Stops stroppy teenagers too!, 2 Jun. 2013
Our son was slamming his door too often (as we are apparently the worst parents!) and cracked his door frame. After mending it we fitted one of these (very easy!) and no more slamming! Bit sad really but it gives me great pleasure when he tries to and can't!!! Have also fitted one on kitchen door to stop it slamming in the wind - very effective!!

Page: 1 | 2