Profile for Mr. I. Lycett > Reviews

Content by Mr. I. Lycett

Mr. I. Lycett "Ian Lycett" (UK)

Tumi Alpha Bravo Shaw Deluxe Brief Pack, Hickory (Black) - 0222389HK2
Tumi Alpha Bravo Shaw Deluxe Brief Pack, Hickory (Black) - 0222389HK2

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money but first consider what you will use it for, 20 July 2017
I bought this bag directly from a Tumi store because I wanted to touch it before I spent over £400. I've been looking for a top-notch commuter pack for some time and wasn't blown away by the effective but bulky Wengers I see almost everywhere.

This bag has oodles of well-organised storage pockets that allow you to stash myriad smaller items everywhere, keeping things separate without feeling you're running out of space. Perfect.

This is NOT a bag for stuffing bulky or large items into. Get a good-value basic Eastpak for that job.

It's ALL about organising the 100+ things you must have with you just in case but that you don't want littering the bottom of your rucksack

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and effective, 4 July 2017
Very satisfying. Choose your victim, line up prongs, stamp down, bend back and rip the offender from the ground. It also helps that the mechanism to release the grabbed weed feels and sounds a bit like cocking a shotgun. Come get some...

Graphite Naked Boxer Briefs 3 Inch Leg by Obviously - Medium
Graphite Naked Boxer Briefs 3 Inch Leg by Obviously - Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars A place for everything and everything in its place, 6 Oct. 2016
The fabric and design make these very comfortable. The 'compartment' separates your 'anatomy' from your legs, so you don't get gravity and your seating position deciding how 'things' should be arranged. This also helps regulate temperature. These consistently find their way to the top of my laundry drawer.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Low grade plastic. Not very strong., 12 May 2014
From the chunkiness of the handle, it may appear to be a fairly rugged 'trolley' but don't be misled by the pictures. This is not strong and there is a major weakness in the vertical axis, which means that even gentle use might cause this item to break. The top and bottom parts are joined by four absolutely tiny plastic lugs that jut up from the bottom and clip into the edges of the top section.

All four of these lugs broke within hours, while on a very sedate journey using the tube. This item was not heavily laden and the item was treated carefully (no bouncing down stairs etc)

I managed to fix it by using cable ties to join the top and bottom together, which gave sufficient strength to allow the continued use of this item.

Without Ovi addressing this pretty major design flaw and either reinforcing the inadequate joint or making the main body of the box into a single piece, I would not recommend using this for anything more strenuous than moving the item around at home.

The wheels could also be sturdier but they aren't broken at the time of writing.

America:  The Story of the US (3 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
America: The Story of the US (3 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jane Root

2.0 out of 5 stars Some items of interest but horribly skewed, 12 Jun. 2012
While many of the episodes were fine, I'm enthusiastic about 20th Century History and noticed that the WWII episode was essentially a remake of 'Independence Day'. There's so much spin in this series that you'll get dizzy and the fatuous 'gee aren't we great' soundbites by various celebrities palled rapidly.

The coverage of this period of history was so skewed and so sparse that I began to wonder whether the history I know had even occurred. Of course they acknowledge that the rest of the world exists, but it's only really interested in how America kicked everybody's ass and saved the world, just as in Independence Day.

I acknowledge that without the US the war would have gone differently but they managed to start the discussion of the war at Pearl Harbour (understandable, that's when it started for them) but they neglected to mention that the allies had been fighting for two years already and that the lend-lease agreement was an important stimulus to the faltering US economy. Instead, it appears that the US were the only combatant worth mentioning. For example, although I was thankful to hear a two-second mention of Russia being involved in defeating the Germans, the story of D-Day only mentions the US beaches.

We in the UK were described as 'allies' - which, while technically correct, is quite big-headed considering that we fought alone until the end of '41 and many of the American public didn't care about the war until the Japanese 'played dirty' at Pearl Harbour. At least they were honest about how beneficial it was for them to become a major arms manufacturer and supplier to the rest of the world and acknowledged that the economies of Europe and the Far East had been junked by the war while America had been immune from damage to their own infrastructure - giving them plenty of space to grow into the economic vaccuum that remained.

This series is a feelgood 'cartoon' history of the US for people who live in the US. It's quite entertaining if you don't care about the detail. For those of us who live elsewhere, there are far better and more balanced sources of information.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2013 12:15 AM GMT

Torture Test
Torture Test
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album!, 27 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Torture Test (Audio CD)
There's real quality in this album and I'm glad I found it. Their heavy guitars chug away like a diesel machine, and the gravelly voice of the lead vocalist provides the perfect match. Their lyrics spit bile and anger without being offensive. It's just a shame they only released one album.

I would most definitely recommend buying this; try listening to the audio preview, you might like it.

Sennheiser/Adidas CX 680 High-Performance Noise-Isolating Ear Canal Headphones (Sports-Optimised Design)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones but weird cable length, 27 Oct. 2010
The headphones fit nicely and remain in place once you've found the correct bud size and 'fin' size. The sound is also pretty good.

My only gripe is that I can't see the reasoning behind the cable lengths they have selected.

Without the remote attached the wire is really short and your i-Pod would need to be located somewhere about stomach height. With the remote attached, the wire is so long I could wear the i-Pod at knee height and I'm fairly tall. The clips on the wire and the remote help you to solve this problem, but I wonder why they selected those particular lengths... Weird... :)

Otherwise, no problems at all.

The Mind Within the Net: Models of Learning, Thinking and Acting (Bradford Book)
by Manfred Spitzer

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating overview of the parallels between Neuroscience and Neural Networks, 6 May 2006
Having studied the mathematical aspects of neural networks, I became hugely interested in the subject. However, the depth of maths required meant that the big picture was somewhat obscured. It was not always easy to see why the somewhat magical emergent behaviour exhibited by various types of Neural Networks helped explain neural phenomena in general.

I found this book an excellent accompaniment to my studies. I withdrew it from the library with the intent of dipping into it for extra revision information but I was instantly hooked and it became a main read, prompting me to buy my own copy.

If you require in-depth mathematical principles, this is not the book for you. However, if you're interested in what Neural Networks can teach us about the brain and don't care about the maths, buy this book. It is well written and a complete page turner.

XML Pocket Consultant
XML Pocket Consultant
by William R. Stanek

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and informative, 13 July 2005
This review is from: XML Pocket Consultant (Paperback)
I believe this book to be an extremely worthwhile addition to my bookshelf. It is well written and easy to browse, as well as providing a very detailed look at XML and its use. It is not an exhaustive tome and is actually quite short at less than 400 pages; I don't think of this as a limitation, rather as a benefit.
I have limited experience of XML and have yet to put this book through its paces by trying to resolve detailed implementation issues. However, my first impressions are very favourable.