Profile for Tech 2.0 > Reviews

Content by Tech 2.0
Top Reviewer Ranking: 164

Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer"
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Breville Blend Active Personal Blender, 0.6 Litre, 300 W, White
Breville Blend Active Personal Blender, 0.6 Litre, 300 W, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning value, 3 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love my Blend-Active and it suits my lifestyle much better than a conventional blender. I was inspired to try a blender of this type following the Nutri-Bullet craze that seemed to grip my workplace. I'm glad I went for this one as it does the same at a fraction of the cost without all the marketing hype.

The blender unit is solid, well built and compact. I'm not a massive fan of the colour scheme but I can look past that. Essentially you load your bottle up, screw the cutter cap on and stick it in the blender and that's it really. There's one button you hold to blend. Simple. When your done you unscrew the cutter cap and screw on a lid and off you go.

The cutter cap is well made and literally all it's needed is a rinse under the tap and left on the side to try. Because of the design you get clear access under the blades unlike a conventional jug where it can be a potch to clean right down. Everything is dishwasher safe to.

The bottles are really strong and the plastic seems quite thick and rigid so I'm confident they will stand up to being taken out and about or thrown in my gym bag.

I was initially a bit sceptical about the 300 w motor but I needn't have been. It crushes ice and pretty much demolishes any veg or indeed anything I've managed to throw together. It mixes things well and evenly. The book includes some suggestions for recipes but there's plenty of inspiration online or books. I use mine at least daily for my protein shakes that mix much better in this than my regular protein shaker.

For the price this is an absolute steal and I am glad I went for it after a few weeks sceptical that it would be too good to be true.

H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Wide Hair Straighteners
H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Wide Hair Straighteners

5.0 out of 5 stars These produce great results., 2 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ours has always been a GHD household, but for the first time we finally have a worthy contender. They come packaged in an attractive and premium way to match any GHD's so first impressions are very good.

On taking them out of the box the first thing you notice is just how well made they look and feel and incorporate many design cues found on other high end straighteners.

The cord swivels to match your flow as you straighten (not to mention being 3m long!) and this model features extra wide 40mm ceramic plates that bring a number of benefits and incorporate a number of features to keep you hair looking lovely.

What's key here is the temperature. This is digitally controlled up to 230c and allows you to vary the temp which is much better than one temp for all. With a bit of trial you can find the right temp for your hair which means that potentially you may save subjecting your hair to higher than needed temps. The built in infrared led's and ionic tech should help achieve great results. The extra wide plates certainly made the task quicker and easier.

One thing I really liked though, the 1 hr cut off. Never again must our household be gripped by the fear from hearing 'Did I turn my straighteners off'....

In all seriousness though, these are fantastic and produce great results.

HyperX Medium FURY Pro Gaming Mouse Pad
HyperX Medium FURY Pro Gaming Mouse Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 2 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kingston's Hyper-X brand is currently on top form. The original cloud headset was superb value, their ram is high end and their ssd's equally so.

To compliment your setup they now also have their own range of mouse mats. However it is easy to think any mat will do but using this will soon dispel all of that.

The mat comes rolled up in premium packaging and unrolling it you can see the quality that has gone into making it. It is weighty and well made with a rubber back that is both non-slip and makes it very comfortable in use. It's 3mm thick and the fabric surface is fantastic. My mouse glides effortlessly across it and I found it accurate to use.

On that note I currently use a steelseries rival and I favour optical mice over laser for the accuracy (specifically ones featuring the avago/adns 3310 sensor!).

Whilst I much prefer it's larger sibling that covers my entire desk this is a top quality mat for anyone looking for something more traditionally sized.

Philips S5130/06 Series 5000 Electric Shaver with Smart Click Precision Trimmer
Philips S5130/06 Series 5000 Electric Shaver with Smart Click Precision Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok but better alternatives for not much more money, 28 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m not really sure what to make of this shaver, and I have given it some serious thought over 3 or 4 stars, finally settling on 4.

In the package you get the shaver, charger and a sideburns trimmer. It was reasonably quick to charge and I was soon away shaving.

I normally use electric razors and my current shaver of choice is a Panasonic 5 blade one. By comparison this gave a decent shave. It wasn’t as good as my Panasonic but with a little extra time and some perseverance I achieved a shave that I was happy to go to work with. The shave was reasonably close and the circular shaving heads did a good job of lifting and getting to some difficult hairs.

Cleaning was very simple a little button pops the heads and you can tip the hairs out and give it a rinse. Straightforward enough and something I recommend you do regularly.

The sideburns trimmer fared well. You pull off the shave head and clip the trimmer head on. It handled the burns well and with some delicate work I managed to tidy a few others areas.

So why drop a star? Well the whole experience just left me feeling underwhelmed. In use it felt a bit weak and took a bit longer to achieve a suitable shave for work. And whilst the battery charged quickly you’ll soon find yourself recharging due to taking longer on your shave.

I also didn’t like the fact that it is a dry shave only so should you want to shave in the shower or use an oil/cream you can’t.

I feel there are better alternatives out there for similar money. Sticking with Philips you can get a 7000 series with charge/clean station for just thirty sheets more at time of writing this, and personally I think that would be money well spent.

Philips GC9550/02 PerfectCare Silence Steam Generator Iron with OptimalTemp - 360 g Silent Steam Boost, 1.5 L, 2400 W, Champagne

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite steam generator iron yet, 28 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried and tested many irons over the years and one common thing amongst the Philips irons is that for me they are consistently the best. The perfect care silence steam is no exception and is my favourite to date to be fair.

Firstly this iron is big, its unapologetically big. But with that it brings superior performance. And while it is no revolution it subtly enhances a tried and tested design and looks lovely.

As mentioned it's big, not a big as some of the larger ones with the 2.5l tank but anyone who has not used a steam generator before will have to adapt to the new size.

This iron has a one temp for all and as expected relies heavily on steam, which it has by the bucket. Setup is really straightforward and in no time you are up and ironing. Due to it's size it would probably be left setup somewhere like a laundry room or utility room, but that's not to say it couldn't just be brought to do a pile of ironing. It all really depends on your space and requirements. It features a nifty little lock for the iron for ease of transport/storage which is handy.

It features a 1.5l water tank that keeps it going a good while and once warmed up it produces a solid amount of steam. In fact with 6.5 bars of pressure and a 340gram steam boost it produces a very powerful amount of steam for tackling the heaviest of laundry jobs. With our lo we are forever washing and ironing and the larger water tank on this kept us ironing interruption free for longer.

The iron itself is well balanced in terms of weight and the SteamGlide soleplate is Philips’ high end plate and is a joy to use. I tackled a number of items from bedding and jeans to my wife's more delicate tops and this took them all in its stride. The soleplate doesn't get too hot like a regular iron so there's no chance of scorching or burning. And you can use the iron on even delicate items and I tried it on one of my underarmour sports tops which is synthetic just to test their claims. It didn't scorch it or cause any problems.

The vertical steam function works well and I hang stuff up and give it a blast to drop the creases out if need be.

This being a ‘Silence’ model it was noticeably quieter than other styeam generator models. Initially I thought little of this but I find it much easier to hear the tv or radio whilst I’m ironing which is good.

In terms of maintenance I live in a soft water area so it's not a massive issue for me but this features an easy decalc. I'm glad they've not kept the cartridge system as it meant buying additional consumables which really put me off. Instead you just open the side port and tip the water out. It says every 10 hours of ironing but I guess that will also depend on the water in your area. It'll light up to tell you when to do so or if the water is low which is handy.

Overall this is yet another fantastic iron from Philips. It is my favourite by far being quieter than others, much better looking and with the specs of their top end irons.

Safety 1st Auto Close Metal Gate (White)
Safety 1st Auto Close Metal Gate (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best gates we own/have used, 24 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good solid gate that is well made and the auto close is surprisingly handy.

It's a pressure fit gate of which I have had several different brands in the past, this is easily one of the best. It fits well and can be extended with adaptors sold separately. It comes all but assembled and I had it up and running in little time.

I was initially a bit sceptical of the auto close thinking I wouldn't need it but now I wish the others had it. It's especially handy if you have your arms full to save having to try and lock it again. It can be set to open either way using the little catches at the bottom. They also serve as an additional brace to secure the gate if necessary.

Being pressure fits means not screwing the frame in which saves the woodwork a bit and for our needs is just as secure and stands up to my little one well. I used some scraps of cushion floor cut into discs to minimise any marking on the frame though that's just me being a bit over cautious.

There are some useful video's online to should any further guidance be needed in setting it up. All in all one of the best gates we own/have used.

Carmex Cherry Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Cherry Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best balm I have ever used, 19 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big Carmex fan having been introduced some years back by my wife. The Cherry one is my favourite so far as I wasn't fussed on the plain one. That said until I discovered the cherry one I continued to use the plain one because it was just that good.

I work outside a lot all year round and these have been invaluable. They are quick to work and keep my lips moisturised without too much gloss or indeed too much greasiness in comparison to Vaseline products.

The pot is good, it's a neat little pot that unscrews with application by your finger. I much prefer this pot, having used alternatives especially Vaseline it can sometimes be a potch to open and close.

I keep a pot on the bedside now and use the tube for out and about. It's quicker and easier for me to use without getting nay on my fingers. It can sometimes be a bit tough to dispense, especially in the cold winter as I keep it in my trouser cargo pocket.

Overall though this is easily the best balm I have ever used.

Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner, 0.9 Litre, White
Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner, 0.9 Litre, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly superb, 10 Jun. 2015
I wanted the freedom of a cordless, and the power of wired and the Athlet is all of that and more. Firstly it looks futuristic, it really does. Clean gloss white lines, subtle blue light, it wouldn't look too out of place on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise!

For your hard earned cashed you get the cleaner and an accessory kit bundled in a compact little box. Assembly is an absolute doddle. Click the head on, click the handle on and that's it. It's clear a lot of thought has gone into this, it's intuitive and just well easy. Did I mention it's also light?

There a three power levels. The first without the brush, the second with the brush and then turbo. Progressing in that order they are extremely effective and quite frankly put my Dyson to shame. Turbo in fact is so powerful it lifted my carpet a little. What I found remarkable though was just how quiet it was in comparison to my old dyson.

Depending on which level you use there's up to 60 minutes run time. I found this enough to do my three bedroom semi. The sacrifice of all this is a small waste bin which will need frequent emptying. However this is incredibly easy and neat to be fair. Unclips and opens much better than my Dyson and it was neater to tip the dust away. The built in filters are a doddle to reach as well for when you need to give them a rinse. Speaking of maintenance I love how the brush bar slides out for easy cleaning.

One thing that did let it down for me was the accessory tools. The tools themselves were fine but setting it up with them wasn't that great and I found it a bit unwieldy in use. That said I didn't buy it for that and likely will never use them so that's fine for me.

This cleaner is a home run from Bosch. I hope they keep the Athlet range going. Yes it's pricey but it's an absolute revelation and I wish I had bought one sooner.

Update: seems mine is affected by the charger issue. Emailed Bosch and keeping in mind it was Saturday I had a phone call a few hours later to advise me a new charger was on it's way. Great service so far.

Philips Style Shaver QS6141/33 Dual Ended Shaver and Beard Trimmer for Wet and Dry Use

3.0 out of 5 stars Master of nothing...., 8 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This shaver is a bit of a strange one. It tries to do a lot but ends up being just ok. I've used their double ended shavers before with a body groom. That would still be my favourite body groom if they added a Li-Ion battery to it. Anyway.

This comes well presented as do most Philips products. It features a Li-Ion battery and the shaver is well balanced in terms of weight. It charges via a stand which personally I do not like. They did a similar thing with a past bodygroom and I would have preferred an alternative way to charge. The whole thing is shower proof for wet and dry use and a four hour charge gives you 50 minutes of use.

As a shaver it is simply ok. It comes nowhere near my Panasonic but that was five times the price. That said just for tidying up or the occasional once over it's fine. I certainly would not use this as my everyday shaver.

It faired better as a beard trimmer though. Clipping on the somewhat flimsy trim comb you can adjust it for 12 lengths and in fairness it handled trimming my beard ok. I even gave it a go on my chest and again it handled that fine. Not the best I've used though and I would have expected better from Philips.

Using the trimmer without the comb you can stile as you need to. This worked fine. You can style a large area or switch the smaller bit around for styling more intricate areas.

Overall I found this shaver to be a bit of a disappointment. It tries to do a lot but succeeds in doing nothing particularly well I thought.

Kensington Pro Fit Wireless 2.4 GHz Mouse for Windows and Mac
Kensington Pro Fit Wireless 2.4 GHz Mouse for Windows and Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use on the go, 28 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good quality mouse that is compact and portable yet packs in a lot of solid features which come togetehr to give a surprisingly good user experience.

First off the mouse is small. Smaller than normal but that's because it's designed to be taken on the go. You get the mouse, wifi reciever and a battery. Included in the battery compartment is a handy little nook to store the reciever away if need be so it doesn't get lost. That said it's small enough to live permanently in your laptop.

The mouse is built as well as you might expect and as mentioned it features some interesting specs. There's a HD 1000DPI laser sensor driving it all. And whilst that may not be as good as optical it is superb for a travel mouse. The buttons and scroll wheel feel reassuring in use and I'd have no trouble using this with the lappy for extended periods. Theer was no nticeable lag but then for everyday tasks I wouldn't expect to really see it.

It is a surprisingly comfortable mouse that sacrifices little and delivers in a big way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20